Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,987 Posts
12v battery drain, so you need a battery conditioner with every car.

Let me guess, OTA updates aren't actually a thing yet and you need to get your car to a dealer to perform an update. Once it's available.

But not just any Ford dealer, it will only be a handful who have the technicians trained to work on these cars.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12v battery drain, so you need a battery conditioner with every car.

Let me guess, OTA updates aren't actually a thing yet and you need to get your car to a dealer to perform an update. Once it's available.

But not just any Ford dealer, it will only be a handful who have the technicians trained to work on these cars.
Pretty close - I wonder if the respective designers / software developers were having an affair - it’s so easy for these things to spread without proper social distancing (good software development)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,987 Posts
Pretty close - I wonder if the respective designers / software developers were having an affair - it’s so easy for these things to spread without proper social distancing (good software development)
I think it’s just a lack of proper testing.

Maybe they should have got someone in to support them that understands EVs, like Tesla. Etc, etc.

This is all quite amusing after years of people crowing about how VW/Ford/GM would make a proper EV because they know all about car production.

Now we get a slew of EVs that all have cheap interiors, dodgy software and can leave you stranded at a moments notice.

·
Banned
367 Posts
The 12V issue is common to the EV’s.
The Nissan Leaf has it too.

In most cases it’s because the fitted batteries are undersized for their purpose.
The other reason is that charging the lead-acid12V in a closed garage without ventilation can lead to fire hazard. It’s assumed that when you are charging your high voltage, you are doing it in a closed garage at home.
That’s why 12V charging is disabled when charging the main battery.

One solution would be that EV manufacturers start fitting 12V batteries that do not present a fire hazard when being charged. Existing 12V Li-ion’s from OEM s like Yuasa haven’t been risk-free.
I think that a 18650-based 12V would be a better option, but they won’t be cheap.

Another solution is a charging algorithm that keeps the 12V topped up at 70% SOC. Hydrogen release is limited When charging below this SOC level. This can be supplemented by ventilation with fans fitted near the 12V battery and would be an acceptable compromise.
I would also make sure this must be expressly enabled by the owner with a warning on the dashboard explaining the fire hazard in enclosed spaces.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
🥱 Is it time for another thread like this already? Time flies.

Thing is, everybody screams ‘Tesla do software’, but the one sitting outside our house has more bugs than the ID. 🤷
That is because you are a VW fanboi who only bought a Tesla so you could slag it off. Obviously.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,987 Posts
🥱 Is it time for another thread like this already? Time flies.

Thing is, everybody screams ‘Tesla do software’, but the one sitting outside our house has more bugs than the ID. 🤷
Don’t worry petal, no-ones started slagging off VAG. Yet.

The ID.3 is a perfect motor car with no known failings.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,685 Posts
Don’t worry petal, no-ones started slagging off VAG. Yet.

The ID.3 is a perfect motor car with no known failings.
That’s ok flower, I do understand that no motor car is perfect, not least the ID.3, but let’s not pretend that Tesla software is the be all and end all.

Please don’t misunderstand my irritation at the usual lazy tropes around brands being bandied about as VAG cheerleading. Fair criticism is ok, anything else is just trolling.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The 12V issue is common to the EV’s.
The Nissan Leaf has it too.

In most cases it’s because the fitted batteries are undersized for their purpose.
The other reason is that charging the lead-acid12V in a closed garage without ventilation can lead to fire hazard. It’s assumed that when you are charging your high voltage, you are doing it in a closed garage at home.
That’s why 12V charging is disabled when charging the main battery.

One solution would be that EV manufacturers start fitting 12V batteries that do not present a fire hazard when being charged. Existing 12V Li-ion’s from OEM s like Yuasa haven’t been risk-free.
I think that a 18650-based 12V would be a better option, but they won’t be cheap.

Another solution is a charging algorithm that keeps the 12V topped up at 70% SOC. Hydrogen release is limited When charging below this SOC level. This can be supplemented by ventilation with fans fitted near the 12V battery and would be an acceptable compromise.
I would also make sure this must be expressly enabled by the owner with a warning on the dashboard explaining the fire hazard in enclosed spaces.
The trouble is 70% really means 20% usable and a battery life of months due to sulphation

1 - 14 of 14 Posts