Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up with Greenenergy over two year ago, attracted by their Tides tariff. They've put in two electric, and one gas meter since, but they've never been able to get the smart meter readings. Since I complained a fair bit, Cheap overnight power for the car being the whole point, they've basically been charging me at their night rate for all my power, thus keeping me as a customer.

Now I've just had an e-mail to say they can no longer sustain this, and my electricity price will go up by a factor of three. Basically their smart meter roll out has failed. Apparently there's big trouble with SMETS2 meters. Nobody can get enough of them and the government target for smart meter roll out looks doomed.

So, is there anyone out there who can really supply me with cheap overnight rates, without boosting the daytime rates to a price that defeats the point? I reckon about half of my power goes into the car.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I
I signed up with Greenenergy over two year ago, attracted by their Tides tariff. They've put in two electric, and one gas meter since, but they've never been able to get the smart meter readings. Since I complained a fair bit, Cheap overnight power for the car being the whole point, they've basically been charging me at their night rate for all my power, thus keeping me as a customer.

Now I've just had an e-mail to say they can no longer sustain this, and my electricity price will go up by a factor of three. Basically their smart meter roll out has failed. Apparently there's big trouble with SMETS2 meters. Nobody can get enough of them and the government target for smart meter roll out looks doomed.

So, is there anyone out there who can really supply me with cheap overnight rates, without boosting the daytime rates to a price that defeats the point? I reckon about half of my power goes into the car.
I'm currently in the process of switching from TIDE to Octopus GO. Probably your best shot, though regional variations apply.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
You could look at Utilitia, I've switched to them as overnight is 4.75p. Payment has to be made in advance on a prepayment bases with a smart meter but we have very high overnight usage so daytime rate doesn't matter so much, especially in the summer as we also have solar pv.
Day rate is nearly 19p though and standing charge is 35p a day.

Customer service has been very good. We had a lot of issues with the smart meter when it went it, several weeks to sort out, but all dealings with them have been very good and they're were several credits to compensate for the inconvenience. Didn't really compensate for the time taken but they were trying very hard and it wasn't their fault.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I

I'm currently in the process of switching from TIDE to Octopus GO. Probably your best shot, though regional variations apply.
I tried your link but "Go", which sounds good, didn't appear on the selection of tariff options.

Have e-mailed them.

p.s.
Oh! I get it, have to sign up with a standard tariff first and take my chances of being in the first 1000 applicants

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I tried your link but "Go", which sounds good, didn't appear on the selection of tariff options.

Have e-mailed them.
You have to sign up on an interim tariff temporarily, then switch to the go tariff once they're taken on your account (and they have confirmed your smart meter is compatible, or they have installed one).

Tariff details are here...
Introducing Octopus Go: The energy tariff designed just for EV drivers | Octopus Energy
Don't sign up through the above link though, or you won't get the £50 referral credit added to your account.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to sign up on an interim tariff temporarily, then switch to the go tariff once they're taken on your account (and they have confirmed your smart meter is compatible, or they have installed one).

Tariff details are here...
Introducing Octopus Go: The energy tariff designed just for EV drivers | Octopus Energy
Don't sign up through the above link though, or you won't get the £50 referral credit added to your account.
Yup. Just re-read it. How much is the day rate on Go?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh! I get it, have to sign up with a standard tariff first and take my chances of being in the first 1000 applicants
Isn't that just for their charger installation offer? It isn't clear on the website but I'm sure I've read that on the forum somewhere.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Isn't that just for their charger installation offer? It isn't clear on the website but I'm sure I've read that on the forum somewhere.
Yep, that's my understanding too. The zappi deal has to include an OLEV grant too, which I'm not eligible for (I've had two already).

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Just swapped to OVO EV+ which is fixed for 2 years and includes 2 years of Polar+ free. May not be good in your area but worth a look perhaps.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right. Have signed will Octopus through Roger's link. Their meter rollout is apparently on hold for the moment, waiting for SMETS2 meters. Once that's done may well go for "agile". Slightly concerned how long that will take, SMET2s has been a bit of a disaster.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Right. Have signed will Octopus through Roger's link. Their meter rollout is apparently on hold for the moment, waiting for SMETS2 meters. Once that's done may well go for "agile". Slightly concerned how long that will take, SMET2s has been a bit of a disaster.
Thanks (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts