Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
412 Posts
They will love this in Japan - and being designed by Prof Gordon Murray, it will have a special cache.
As for Europe - the Italians are the one to go for micro-cars. They are agile around the narrow streets of the old towns! As for UK - well it deserves to be a winner, i t will be nimble and beautifully engineered - buy unless micro cars are incentivised (beyond EVs) it will be near impossible to get volume sales.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I watched an interesting documentary on Gordon Murray a while back going from his history in F1 to the McLaren F1 and up to a new Micro car he had prototyped,the T25..basically they had benchmarked a SMART car,decided it was too porky,and got out the surgery kit! (The Mia EV reminds me a bit of the T25..) It's a narrower car,3 of them would fit nose in in a kerb parallel spot..and it will seat 3 in the F1 arrowhead seating layout...there were both ICE and EV options for power. He had even planned out a revolutionary assembly process to produce them..

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Gordon Murray has developed the t25etc as a show case for his concept for car production system which has been simplified as far as you could so that a complete manufacturing facility could be built and running in a very short time frame and cost. So making transport production and availability both fast and cost effective. The idea is based upon re thinking the way you design and subsequently build your transport, and not based upon large industrial vehicle plants as we have now. Interestingly the main sub components will still have to be manufactured, but I guess they can be in smaller plants themselves, more approoriate to developing countries. This was also one of the targets for simplified transport solutions such as the t25 etc. The concept also challenges the idea of larger 5 seat metal boxes with ever increasing complexity and luxury.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts