Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
The left cable is just the phone. What you seem to have are two separate power conductors coming in at the right, an arrangement that used to be pretty common around 50 to 60 years or so ago.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The left cable is just the phone. What you seem to have are two separate power conductors coming in at the right, an arrangement that used to be pretty common around 50 to 60 years or so ago.
OK great, do you think it's still likely that the main fuse is not 100A however and will still need upgrading to 100?

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
OK great, do you think it's still likely that the main fuse is not 100A however and will still need upgrading to 100?

My guess is that the fuse isn't 100 A, because it looks as if the meter tails may only be 16mm² (hard to tell from the photo). That would restrict the fuse to 80 A, and it may be that the fitted fuse is either an 80 A or perhaps a 60 A. Only way to tell is for a competent person (approved by the DNO) to pull it and check, really. Given that there's no seal on it, no one is going to know if it's pulled to check it, anyway, although it's a potentially risky job, that is supposed to only be done by a competent person wearing the right PPE, a flash visor and rubber gauntlets as a minimum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm sorry for starting a new thread on this as I know there are some others on looped supply issues.

But I am growing impatient with the progress that has been made so far with the property I am wishing to buy and I would greatly appreciate some advice from people more knowledgeable on the subject than I.

So I posted some photos on here a month or so ago showing the electrics of the property I am buying and hopefully moving into before the end of this year. This is one of the key photos View attachment 150984

It showed 100A on the Mains fuse cut-out which I thought was great, no problem installing a chargepoint. But after researching looped supplies and some alerted me on here to the 2 brown cables coming in at the bottom signifying the high probability of it having a looped supply.

This sent me spiralling, panicking to try to get this confirmed and then hopefully resolved at the latest shortly after moving in. I know how slow the DNO are to act on anything particularly something as complicated as unlooping two properties.

So I contacted UKPowerNetworks to see if they would come round to confirm if it is looped or not and they said the current owners are the only ones who can make this request.

So I provided the estate agent with all the information to give to the current owners and they have tried their best, or so they think.

A couple of weeks ago I am informed that the current owners had enlisted the help of a local EV installer and he says he doesn't think it's looped and thinks it'll be no problem. A relief I thought, but after speaking with him on the phone I became less and less confident that he actually knew what he was talking about and basically was saying I can get a Hypervolt installed and if I'm running a hot tub at the same time it'll be ok because the Hypervolt can manage the load ect.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated because what I requested was for the owners to contact the DNO so they can ascertain if the property is on a looped supply or not and I think because they've spoken to some random EV installer (who probably doesn't care about whether I'll ever be able to charge at the full 7.2kw or not) who says it'll be ok, that it's all fine.

I really wish I could have just organised this myself through UK Power Networks but if I just wait until I move in I risk having no reliable way of charging my car for several months while they get their act together.

I suppose one thing would be to simply allow the chargepoint to be installed with the high risk of it being restricted (so only able to charge at around 3.5kw, too slow to stay within cheap rate period). But if I did that am I stuck? Or can the DNO still unloop without issues and would that then allow me the full charging capability of the chargepoint already installed?

What would you do in my situation?
I have my first EV on order, and have commissioned a company to install an EV charger. Discovered last week that I have a 60amp main fuse. I contacted UK Power network to ask if they can upgrade the fuse to 80 or 100amp, and they arranged a site visit, which was about two weeks time form my call to them. They then called me back the next day to say that their records show that I have a and a looped electric supply. Even though I only have one cable coming into the main fuse, I am looped into my neighbors fuse. Next door have confirmed that this is correct. UK Power network have been very easy to deal with, they have said that following the site visit (This Thursday) they will give me some options, which are likely to be 1. Unloop and run a new cable, free of charge. 2. Stay as is, but ensure the Charger (Zappi 2) has a load limiter on it. They and my EV Charger install guy have said that Option 2 is viable, as I don't have any big electricity devices, such as a hot tub, tumble dryer, electric cooker/hob, or an electric shower. However, I feel that although its a bigger job, option 1 is preferable as I will end up with a bigger electricity draw capacity. Lets see what they say after Thursday's visit.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
3. 3-pin?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have my first EV on order, and have commissioned a company to install an EV charger. Discovered last week that I have a 60amp main fuse. I contacted UK Power network to ask if they can upgrade the fuse to 80 or 100amp, and they arranged a site visit, which was about two weeks time form my call to them. They then called me back the next day to say that their records show that I have a and a looped electric supply. Even though I only have one cable coming into the main fuse, I am looped into my neighbors fuse. Next door have confirmed that this is correct. UK Power network have been very easy to deal with, they have said that following the site visit (This Thursday) they will give me some options, which are likely to be 1. Unloop and run a new cable, free of charge. 2. Stay as is, but ensure the Charger (Zappi 2) has a load limiter on it. They and my EV Charger install guy have said that Option 2 is viable, as I don't have any big electricity devices, such as a hot tub, tumble dryer, electric cooker/hob, or an electric shower. However, I feel that although its a bigger job, option 1 is preferable as I will end up with a bigger electricity draw capacity. Lets see what they say after Thursday's visit.
I'd suggest going for option 1, given it's free of charge. This unlocks the potential to later get a hot tub, tumble dryer, heat pump, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sorry for starting a new thread on this as I know there are some others on looped supply issues.

But I am growing impatient with the progress that has been made so far with the property I am wishing to buy and I would greatly appreciate some advice from people more knowledgeable on the subject than I.

So I posted some photos on here a month or so ago showing the electrics of the property I am buying and hopefully moving into before the end of this year. This is one of the key photos View attachment 150984

It showed 100A on the Mains fuse cut-out which I thought was great, no problem installing a chargepoint. But after researching looped supplies and some alerted me on here to the 2 brown cables coming in at the bottom signifying the high probability of it having a looped supply.

This sent me spiralling, panicking to try to get this confirmed and then hopefully resolved at the latest shortly after moving in. I know how slow the DNO are to act on anything particularly something as complicated as unlooping two properties.

So I contacted UKPowerNetworks to see if they would come round to confirm if it is looped or not and they said the current owners are the only ones who can make this request.

So I provided the estate agent with all the information to give to the current owners and they have tried their best, or so they think.

A couple of weeks ago I am informed that the current owners had enlisted the help of a local EV installer and he says he doesn't think it's looped and thinks it'll be no problem. A relief I thought, but after speaking with him on the phone I became less and less confident that he actually knew what he was talking about and basically was saying I can get a Hypervolt installed and if I'm running a hot tub at the same time it'll be ok because the Hypervolt can manage the load ect.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated because what I requested was for the owners to contact the DNO so they can ascertain if the property is on a looped supply or not and I think because they've spoken to some random EV installer (who probably doesn't care about whether I'll ever be able to charge at the full 7.2kw or not) who says it'll be ok, that it's all fine.

I really wish I could have just organised this myself through UK Power Networks but if I just wait until I move in I risk having no reliable way of charging my car for several months while they get their act together.

I suppose one thing would be to simply allow the chargepoint to be installed with the high risk of it being restricted (so only able to charge at around 3.5kw, too slow to stay within cheap rate period). But if I did that am I stuck? Or can the DNO still unloop without issues and would that then allow me the full charging capability of the chargepoint already installed?

What would you do in my situation?
It is not always clear what is looped supply my fuse only as one wire in so do both my neighbours but after the DNO check i am on a looped supply fortunately my 100amp fuse is a 80 amp fuse and the DNO as given permission for the installation SO IT NOT ALWAYS TRUE THAT YOU CANT HAVE A INSTALLATION ON A LOOPED SUPPLY AS SOME SUGGEST if on a looped supply it depends on your houses load and the houses you looped to it is checked by the peak amps draw of 1 yourself if there is safe head room and your hole neighbours it is free to be unlooped and a fuse upgrade but the fuse if looped will not be upgraded as the available amp draw of the main supply is shared between the property’s there is also other things you can do such as if you are close to your maximum draw of your fuse you can swap out your electric cooker for instance for gas etc to low your max possible draw the DNO will tell you this as will any installation company that no there stuff prior to applying to The DNO ie your power grid for me is northern power i hope this sheds light for some people

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
It is not always clear what is looped supply my fuse only as one wire in so do both my neighbours but after the DNO check i am on a looped supply fortunately my 100amp fuse is a 80 amp fuse and the DNO as given permission for the installation SO IT NOT ALWAYS TRUE THAT YOU CANT HAVE A INSTALLATION ON A LOOPED SUPPLY AS SOME SUGGEST if on a looped supply it depends on your houses load and the houses you looped to it is checked by the peak amps draw of 1 yourself if there is safe head room and your hole neighbours it is free to be unlooped and a fuse upgrade but the fuse if looped will not be upgraded as the available amp draw of the main supply is shared between the property’s there is also other things you can do such as if you are close to your maximum draw of your fuse you can swap out your electric cooker for instance for gas etc to low your max possible draw the DNO will tell you this as will any installation company that no there stuff prior to applying to The DNO ie your power grid for me is northern power i hope this sheds light for some people

Any chance of putting some punctuation in that to make it readable, please? I've tried to read it a couple of times but a single sentence of that length is almost impossible to decode.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,913 Posts
Take option 1.

Be aware however, that both you and your neighbour would need to be present (or one of you needs keys to the other's house) while they unloop you, as the DNO will need to cut power to both properties to work safely

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,458 Posts
Another vote for Option 1 - despite what @Cparry correctly says about it depending on your other loads and even moving them away from electric the general direction of travel currently is away from Gas and towards all electric houses meaning that sooner of later you will need more headroom than a 60A or 80 A fuse can supply. Looking to take 32A from that for a single charge point may be achievable, but as most houses have two or more vehicles you should look to build in capacity for as much as possible. Load limiting / balancing works, but if you want to maximise what you can get on cheaper/lower carbon tariffs you want to be able to charge at the maximum rate possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another vote for Option 1 - despite what @Cparry correctly says about it depending on your other loads and even moving them away from electric the general direction of travel currently is away from Gas and towards all electric houses meaning that sooner of later you will need more headroom than a 60A or 80 A fuse can supply. Looking to take 32A from that for a single charge point may be achievable, but as most houses have two or more vehicles you should look to build in capacity for as much as possible. Load limiting / balancing works, but if you want to maximise what you can get on cheaper/lower carbon tariffs you want to be able to charge at the maximum rate possible.
I agree the power grid is already started to take people of looped supply in some areas of the country anyway so within the next decade the target is to take away all looped supply as you rightly say they preparing to be ready for a more electricity demanding households

21 - 32 of 32 Posts