Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Vivaro Cargo 50kwh
1,096 Posts
There's only one fat cable going into the main switch, so I don't think it's looped. Your fuse box is ancient however, and will need to be replaced with a modern consumer unit, adding to the cost of an EVSE install.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24 and various old ICE
11,334 Posts
You cannot tell from that photo - you could be the end of the loop but you aren't the middle.

As above you really could do to update your electrics in general, but it isn't a requirement for an EV charge point to be fitted.

How easy will running a cable from that board to the charge point be?

If you are on a looped supply getting it unlooped isn't generally an issue and you may end up with a neater solution. Clearly the smart meter connectivity was an issue.

Reactions: Harry6

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
10,548 Posts
As indicated, as there is only one incoming mains cable you could still be on the end of a loop, or have your own independent supply. The main issue is sometimes the capability of the main fuse which can usually only be decided by having a look inside the holder. The holder marking itself will only show the maximum size fuse that is allowed in there of course. Technically this would involve a visit by the DNO. However, if the installer is happy to proceed without checking that fuse it will probably be a case of them splitting the tails from the 'out' side of that 100 amp isolation switch using Henley Blocks, leaving your existing house consumer unit untouched, and then fitting a new small EV dedicated consumer unit onto that backing board - then cable through the wall to the wall box.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You might be at the end of a loop so would only have 1 incoming wire, always wise to check on the linesearch website.
As part of my job, I sometimes have to dig, and we always ask for prints. 90% of them don't show anything on the customers premises, so they're useless. Your DNO will either know if you're on a looped supply, or send someone to check, and perhaps upgrade the main fuse if necessary, probably for free - it costs nothing to ask. This website will tell you who the DNO is (not the same as the company you pay for your electricity) and their contacts: https://www.energynetworks.org/customers/find-my-network-operator

·
Registered
144 Posts
As part of my job, I sometimes have to dig, and we always ask for prints. 90% of them don't show anything on the customers premises, so they're useless. Your DNO will either know if you're on a looped supply, or send someone to check, and perhaps upgrade the main fuse if necessary, probably for free - it costs nothing to ask. This website will tell you who the DNO is (not the same as the company you pay for your electricity) and their contacts: https://www.energynetworks.org/customers/find-my-network-operator
Very true, i assume you will be using a cat and genny to locate any live cables/metal pipework?
The print out i received back, from Western Power via line search before you dig, shows the electrical cables within approx 100 yards, it clearly shows the mains coming to my house first then off to my neighbours.
It's free to ask for the documents.

·
Registered
MG5
1,448 Posts
Hopefully your EVSE installer will contact the DNO for a load check will you get you energy supplier to swap out your meter for a Smets2?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2017, Kia e-Niro 4+
19 Posts
Your installation isn't just old, it looks like to be protected by what appears to be a voltage operated ELCB (The thing with push to test on it). These are very unreliable in operation and should be replaced as soon as possible. This is particularly important as the EV installer my want to check / install bonding to water/gas which is probably missing. Doing so incorrectly with one of these devices can render their safety features inoperable.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Very true, i assume you will be using a cat and genny to locate any live cables/metal pipework?
The print out i received back, from Western Power via line search before you dig, shows the electrical cables within approx 100 yards, it clearly shows the mains coming to my house first then off to my neighbours.
It's free to ask for the documents.
I always use a CAT and genny, and of course a visual inspection - it's not unusual for the telecom cable to be right next to the gas or electricity, and if in doubt, I pass it on to our trained civils team. Not long ago one of our engineers dug through an EVSE cable which was less than 25mm deep - but we're not allowed to dig without using shocksafe spades, so nobody was hurt. We're also not allowed to dig without using the CAT first, so it should never have happened.

·
Registered
Vauxhall vivaro e cargo 75kwh
64 Posts
That looks to be on the small size for main bonding, of more concern though is the apparent lack of main earthing to the consumer unit (fusebox). It looks like one of the main bonding coductors might be being used as a main earth.

If they looked at the photo and didn't raise any issues then I would presume they are splitting the tails into a new consumer unit for the ev charger

1 - 18 of 18 Posts