Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Vauxhall Vivaro Cargo 50kwh
1,099 Posts
There's only one fat cable going into the main switch, so I don't think it's looped. Your fuse box is ancient however, and will need to be replaced with a modern consumer unit, adding to the cost of an EVSE install.

· Registered
1,099 Posts
You might be at the end of a loop so would only have 1 incoming wire, always wise to check on the linesearch website.
As part of my job, I sometimes have to dig, and we always ask for prints. 90% of them don't show anything on the customers premises, so they're useless. Your DNO will either know if you're on a looped supply, or send someone to check, and perhaps upgrade the main fuse if necessary, probably for free - it costs nothing to ask. This website will tell you who the DNO is (not the same as the company you pay for your electricity) and their contacts: https://www.energynetworks.org/customers/find-my-network-operator

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Very true, i assume you will be using a cat and genny to locate any live cables/metal pipework?
The print out i received back, from Western Power via line search before you dig, shows the electrical cables within approx 100 yards, it clearly shows the mains coming to my house first then off to my neighbours.
It's free to ask for the documents.
I always use a CAT and genny, and of course a visual inspection - it's not unusual for the telecom cable to be right next to the gas or electricity, and if in doubt, I pass it on to our trained civils team. Not long ago one of our engineers dug through an EVSE cable which was less than 25mm deep - but we're not allowed to dig without using shocksafe spades, so nobody was hurt. We're also not allowed to dig without using the CAT first, so it should never have happened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts