Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
For some weird reason my 2020 EGolf has started losing 50 miles of range when I turn the heating on, compared to the 25 miles I was losing before the last charge. The car has done less than 1000 miles. I had 105 miles of range, then turn the heat on and it dropped to 45! That’s really scared me. I’ve yet to charge the battery and I think I’ll do this with the heater on so I’m the BMS can take it into consideration for the range.
Has anyone had a similar issue ever and should I be calling VW to book the car in?
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this.
Baldylocks65

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
Hi all
For some weird reason my 2020 EGolf has started losing 50 miles of range when I turn the heating on, compared to the 25 miles I was losing before the last charge. The car has done less than 1000 miles. I had 105 miles of range, then turn the heat on and it dropped to 45! That’s really scared me. I’ve yet to charge the battery and I think I’ll do this with the heater on so I’m the BMS can take it into consideration for the range.
Has anyone had a similar issue ever and should I be calling VW to book the car in?
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this.
Baldylocks65
GOM is vanity, actual range achieved is sanity…

I presume you weren’t going anywhere when you turned the heating on? The e-Golf range estimate, in common with many EVs, does on the fly calculations based on current driving style, and external temperature amongst other things.

The chances are that when you start to drive it, it’ll straighten itself out and you’ll start to get something resembling an accurate range prediction.

If not, then you should book it in for a look see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GOM is vanity, actual range achieved is sanity…

I presume you weren’t going anywhere when you turned the heating on? The e-Golf range estimate, in common with many EVs, does on the fly calculations based on current driving style, and external temperature amongst other things.

The chances are that when you start to drive it, it’ll straighten itself out and you’ll start to get something resembling an accurate range prediction.

If not, then you should book it in for a look see.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. That’s the trouble and the what’s worrying me. I was driving into work and kept the heater going for a good few miles but it stayed ridiculously low. I was on full capacity, around 151 miles and it dropped over 60 miles range when I turned on the heater. As the other guy said, it normally loses around 10-20, so 60 just freaked me out.
the car is leased so getting it sorted won’t cost me anything. I just wondered if anyone had dealt with the same issue. I totally get the real world range, and am cool with it. But to go from 20 to 60 miles loss overnight is shocking. Thanks again for your advice. I’ll charge it tomorrow and take it for a spin and see nat happens. I’ll post the outcome if anyone is interested. Cheers fellas.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I’ve always got the heater on in my e Golf that I’ve run for 18 months now. I’ve only ever seen the range drop 5 maybe 6 miles from cold and then maybe a mile or two when it’s warmed up.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to reply. That’s the trouble and the what’s worrying me. I was driving into work and kept the heater going for a good few miles but it stayed ridiculously low. I was on full capacity, around 151 miles and it dropped over 60 miles range when I turned on the heater. As the other guy said, it normally loses around 10-20, so 60 just freaked me out.
the car is leased so getting it sorted won’t cost me anything. I just wondered if anyone had dealt with the same issue. I totally get the real world range, and am cool with it. But to go from 20 to 60 miles loss overnight is shocking. Thanks again for your advice. I’ll charge it tomorrow and take it for a spin and see nat happens. I’ll post the outcome if anyone is interested. Cheers fellas.
I assume the car sat on but stationary (outside a shop? While fiddling with settings on your driveway? Had the radio on while cleaning it? Something like that) for quite a while, so that’s how the car thinks you’ll drive it in future. Just ignore it, and drive normally, and the car will figure it out.

Reactions: Baldylocks65

·
Registered
721 Posts
I’ve always got the heater on in my e Golf that I’ve run for 18 months now. I’ve only ever seen the range drop 5 maybe 6 miles from cold and then maybe a mile or two when it’s warmed up.
Same as in our i3.....range dropping anymore would really worry me and be an indicator to get it looked at rather than wait and see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All
I am so very grateful to all of you who’ve taken the time to reply with your thoughts and advice. I am going to take it all into consideration and drive normally with the heater on, but at a lower temperature. Just a quick addition today. I charged the car fully to 156 mile range then got in, started it up and turned the heater on, it was still set to Hi. The range then dropped to 48 miles! This made me feel quite upset and a little bit angry.
I've made some enquiries into possibly booking it into VW for the once over and my lease company have said that due to COVID-19 issues, no courtesy cars are being provided and neither is sitting and waiting for the repair to be carried out. So I really am hoping that you’re right and it does sort itself out and the range goes back to what it should be! Wish me luck fellow EVangalists.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is normal. When I once checked a fully charged e-Golf (without heatpump):
ECO+ mode showed 185 miles range
Normal mode showed 145 miles
Normal mode and temp set to HI showed only 65 miles

When temp is set to HI the GOM assumes the PTC heater will be used at max output (5 kW) throughout the whole journey. As you turn down the temp, range on GOM will rapidly increase.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you have the heating set to 'Hi' then I assume that you're not pre-heating and are aiming to heat the cabin as fast as possible once you get in the car?

If for some reason you can't pre-heat, my recommendation would be to set the desired temperature and put the fan on maximum as soon as you get in the car. The fan has no appreciable effect on the range, but can get the warm air round the cabin quicker. Once the chill is off, switch fan back to 'Auto'.

FWIW, in the winter I set a timer to pre-heat to 24°, and in car set to maintain 22° on auto. I never need to turn the temperature up any higher nomatter what temperature it is outside.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
Don't drive with the heating on HI, you'll overheat.

With the temperature set to HI the heating will be running at full power all the time and your range would be reduced to a very low mileage especially if you are in slow traffic.

Leave it set on a more sensible temperature, I'd suggest 25 will be very warm, and you'll see the gom return to a normal value.

If you like to start off with the heating on full blast then turn it down as the car warms up please do, but you'll need to ignore the miles remaining.

Is very unlikely there's anything wrong with your car, it's predicting the miles you can drive with the current settings and doesn't understand that no one is going to leave the heating on full blast for the full journey.

My egolf has a heat pump and it still reduces the range massively if I set the temperature to HI. At any other setting it doesn't make much difference.
As I always leave it set at 22-23 I never see it affect the gom.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,875 Posts
If one is observant, having transitioned from ICE to EV, one learns that ICE are not actually so inefficient after all. At least, not in the UK colder climates which affects us for ~8 months a year.

Yes, they convert 70% of the energy in the liquid fuel to 'heat', but only a half of that is 'waste heat' in the winter. In fact, less still in some cases. Some of my more efficient diesels have actually struggled to sustain their engine temperatures when I have demanded a toasty heating setting.

'Heat' in a car is a very big energy expense, comparable with traction energy. If you do low, slow miles in your BEV pottering a few miles to work every day, most of that electricity will be heating, not motive power.

VW could easily programme for you that you have 100 miles left rather than tell you 50. Say you actually have 75 miles. Which estimate would you prefer it told you, if you were considering setting off on a 90 mile trip?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,527 Posts
This is normal. When I once checked a fully charged e-Golf (without heatpump):
ECO+ mode showed 185 miles range
Normal mode showed 145 miles
Normal mode and temp set to HI showed only 65 miles

When temp is set to HI the GOM assumes the PTC heater will be used at max output (5 kW) throughout the whole journey. As you turn down the temp, range on GOM will rapidly increase.
If true, that's a ridiculous system. 5kW continously into a small metal box sounds more like an oven. There is no reason why the range estimation would assume 5kW continuously. Tests in controlled climatic conditions would have been undertaken by VW at the design stage which would be used to inform the range calculations.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If one is observant, having transitioned from ICE to EV, one learns that ICE are not actually so inefficient after all. At least, not in the UK colder climates which affects us for ~8 months a year.

Yes, they convert 70% of the energy in the liquid fuel to 'heat', but only a half of that is 'waste heat' in the winter. In fact, less still in some cases. Some of my more efficient diesels have actually struggled to sustain their engine temperatures when I have demanded a toasty heating setting.

'Heat' in a car is a very big energy expense, comparable with traction energy. If you do low, slow miles in your BEV pottering a few miles to work every day, most of that electricity will be heating, not motive power.

VW could easily programme for you that you have 100 miles left rather than tell you 50. Say you actually have 75 miles. Which estimate would you prefer it told you, if you were considering setting off on a 90 mile trip?
It is no problem at all with heat pumps. Ask any Leaf owner.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,875 Posts
It is no problem at all with heat pumps. Ask any Leaf owner.
It's better, admittedly. But one way or another one has to use a significant lump of electrical energy to get the car warm.

Sounds like OP has resistive heater.

It's a non-zero consumption though. Also, don't forget the preheat while plugged in. Try it from cold see how much it uses.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It's trivial and I don't know any leaf owners who consider the minimal heating battery usage as a problem. Yes, preheat if you want to and if you remember to do it, but with an EV the heating comes on much faster than with an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi gents
I thought I was fairly intelligent until I had the pleasure of reading some the replies to my query. You boys defo know your stuff and I definitely need to be hitting the books again!
I am very pleased to say that I had to take the car out today and was chuffed to see all your suggestions were right. The heater was set to Hi and the consumption was huge. I turned it down to Low and then increased it gradually. I then got a much truer reading on my range and felt the anxiety float away. Without getting soppy, I am very grateful for all your advice, is does mean a lot that you take the time to help a stranger. My dad was always my go to guy, but he only knows about old school ICE’s and has no idea about EV’s. So I was pretty lost u til I came on here. The VW manual may be as thick as a decent novel, but it really doesn’t help you answer many questions.
So thanks again chaps.
ps, does anyone have an EGolf and know if it’s true about them not having a warning light for low washer fluid? I’m terrified of running out so fill it up every week!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
Hi gents
I thought I was fairly intelligent until I had the pleasure of reading some the replies to my query. You boys defo know your stuff and I definitely need to be hitting the books again!
I am very pleased to say that I had to take the car out today and was chuffed to see all your suggestions were right. The heater was set to Hi and the consumption was huge. I turned it down to Low and then increased it gradually. I then got a much truer reading on my range and felt the anxiety float away. Without getting soppy, I am very grateful for all your advice, is does mean a lot that you take the time to help a stranger. My dad was always my go to guy, but he only knows about old school ICE’s and has no idea about EV’s. So I was pretty lost u til I came on here. The VW manual may be as thick as a decent novel, but it really doesn’t help you answer many questions.
So thanks again chaps.
ps, does anyone have an EGolf and know if it’s true about them not having a warning light for low washer fluid? I’m terrified of running out so fill it up every week!
I’m glad your anxiety has been allayed somewhat! 🙂

Re the low washer fluid light, I think you need to have the winter pack fitted for that to be present.

When I had a car without one, I used to keep a container in the boot with some pre-mixed washer fluid in it so I could stop and fill it up if it did run out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts