Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The last few months I've been unhappy with my Model 3 losing on some occasions 4-5% over an 8 hour period. Car is sleeping, sentry mode is off, cabin overheat protection turned off. Losing a good 8-10 miles of range while parked up for a few hours in unacceptable to me.

I've been in touch with Tesla and they have done their virtual diagnosis over a few weeks and the reply is this.

Hi Dean, remote diagnosis for your Tesla is now complete. Our Technicians have found that battery usage of your Model 3 consists of few things: autopilot data share, cabin evaporator is on more often due to humidity and keeping interior fresh, as well as mobile app requests (even to check battery state). Using the app less will keep the vehicle sleeping while not in use and use less energy, data share can be turned off, but will impact functionality of the DAS system as well as Sentry Mode. Cabin evaporator is used to cool or dehumidify the cabin automatically. Should the situation reoccur, reply to this text message. Thank you, Tesla Service.

I'm not happy with reply. It's just a fob off to me. As I wasn't losing this range in the first 12 months or so of ownership. Only the last few months. I've turned off data share setting and its still losing range.

So it's time to give TeslaFi a go. Any recommend settings to stop the car from being kept awake by TeslaFi which is my main goal. Also if someone has a referal code that would be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Calm down, it’s kinda normal, you waking the car up with the app obsessing about battery % probably doesn’t help, also it’s getting colder, this is totally normal

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi all,

The last few months I've been unhappy with my Model 3 losing on some occasions 4-5% over an 8 hour period. Car is sleeping, sentry mode is off, cabin overheat protection turned off. Losing a good 8-10 miles of range while parked up for a few hours in unacceptable to me.

I've been in touch with Tesla and they have done their virtual diagnosis over a few weeks and the reply is this.

Hi Dean, remote diagnosis for your Tesla is now complete. Our Technicians have found that battery usage of your Model 3 consists of few things: autopilot data share, cabin evaporator is on more often due to humidity and keeping interior fresh, as well as mobile app requests (even to check battery state). Using the app less will keep the vehicle sleeping while not in use and use less energy, data share can be turned off, but will impact functionality of the DAS system as well as Sentry Mode. Cabin evaporator is used to cool or dehumidify the cabin automatically. Should the situation reoccur, reply to this text message. Thank you, Tesla Service.

I'm not happy with reply. It's just a fob off to me. As I wasn't losing this range in the first 12 months or so of ownership. Only the last few months. I've turned off data share setting and its still losing range.

So it's time to give TeslaFi a go. Any recommend settings to stop the car from being kept awake by TeslaFi which is my main goal. Also if someone has a referal code that would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Hi Dean

Sorry to hear of your concerns. I'm aware that you have much more experiences than I do on EVs but just a couple of thoughts in case it helps.

Firstly, I haven't tried Teslafi so can't help you there; sorry. I know you will consider returning to Tesla, asking then to investigate further.

Given the comment on the cabin evaporator, have you checked for a water leak? For example, checking the bottom of the boot well between the felt liner and metal underfloor, in case you have sprung a leak. Also the two blue rubber seals at the rear end of the boot well and the passenger and driver footwells? If you have more moisture inside the car it could explain a far greater use of the fan to dry out the car when parked.

My SR+ is now one year old and 16.5k miles. I recently noticed that I have started to use more % of SoC than usually. But perhaps not as much as yours. I find that sometimes the SoC drops several % in just a few hours and then seems to stay almost constant for the next period. I put the increased reduction partly down to the recent drop in ambient temperature (I live in Scotland so some days recently where it stayed below 8c). And also affected by nearly all delivery people seem to trigger the Sentry Mode which obviously wakes the car up more than when just in standby mode. This is particularly relevant because last winter I didn't use Sentry Mode when at home because I was on a 14p per kWh tariff whereas this winter I am on Octopus Go at 5p.

And finally, yes ... your comment made me realise that I have been guilty of checking the car via the app a bit more frequently that usual.

So, overall, your comments Dean have made me feel less uncomfortable about the recent increased fall in SoC on my car. Sorry that I can't provide answers for you.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Calm down, it’s kinda normal, you waking the car up with the app obsessing about battery % probably doesn’t help, also it’s getting colder, this is totally normal
Calm down?

I use 10% battery to drive 24 miles to work.

While parked up at work for 8 hours my car drops 4-5% of range. Essentially losing 10 miles worth of range.

Aren't these electric cars suppose to be more efficient rather than energy getting lost into thin air?

No I do not open the app as I know from 18 months of ownership this wakes the car up needlessly.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dean

Sorry to hear of your concerns. I'm aware that you have much more experiences than I do on EVs but just a couple of thoughts in case it helps.

Firstly, I haven't tried Teslafi so can't help you there; sorry. I know you will consider returning to Tesla, asking then to investigate further.

Given the comment on the cabin evaporator, have you checked for a water leak? For example, checking the bottom of the boot well between the felt liner and metal underfloor, in case you have sprung a leak. Also the two blue rubber seals at the rear end of the boot well and the passenger and driver footwells? If you have more moisture inside the car it could explain a far greater use of the fan to dry out the car when parked.

My SR+ is now one year old and 16.5k miles. I recently noticed that I have started to use more % of SoC than usually. But perhaps not as much as yours. I find that sometimes the SoC drops several % in just a few hours and then seems to stay almost constant for the next period. I put the increased reduction partly down to the recent drop in ambient temperature (I live in Scotland so some days recently where it stayed below 8c). And also affected by nearly all delivery people seem to trigger the Sentry Mode which obviously wakes the car up more than when just in standby mode. This is particularly relevant because last winter I didn't use Sentry Mode when at home because I was on a 14p per kWh tariff whereas this winter I am on Octopus Go at 5p.

And finally, yes ... your comment made me realise that I have been guilty of checking the car via the app a bit more frequently that usual.

So, overall, your comments Dean have made me feel less uncomfortable about the recent increased fall in SoC on my car. Sorry that I can't provide answers for you.
Hi Paul.

Yes sentry mode will lose around 1 mile per hour of range as the car is idling and is in standby mode. So to lose range while sentry mode is normal - though I do not have sentry mode enabled.

It's very strange - some days I lose none or just 1% while parked up for 8 hours. Fair enough can't complain with that.

Other days I lose 4-5% during a period of 8-12 hours when the car should be sleeping! I would say it's 50/50 wether I lose the range or not.

I have checked if car is damp, no damp anywhere even in the boot where I've seen online that some people suffer with water ingress in the lower boot. The thing is this started happening around August time when the weather was nice and hot. So I don't buy their excuse if I'm honest.

Well I installed TeslaFi in the end and went for a drive and visited my parents. Sentry mode was enabled this time and to my surprise after my 1 and half hour visit I gained 2% range 😂😂😂.

The car hasn't got a clue what it's doing... I've done a full discharge and recharge to try and see if it was a battery balancing issue. Hasn't worked obviously.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Calm down?

I use 10% battery to drive 24 miles to work.

While parked up at work for 8 hours my car drops 4-5% of range. Essentially losing 10 miles worth of range.

Aren't these electric cars suppose to be more efficient rather than energy getting lost into thin air?

No I do not open the app as I know from 18 months of ownership this wakes the car up needlessly.
Can I ask how much SoC you used in similar weather conditions travelling the same commute last year? I’m interested if there are any big differences and contributing factors.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi Paul.

Yes sentry mode will lose around 1 mile per hour of range as the car is idling and is in standby mode. So to lose range while sentry mode is normal - though I do not have sentry mode enabled.

It's very strange - some days I lose none or just 1% while parked up for 8 hours. Fair enough can't complain with that.

Other days I lose 4-5% during a period of 8-12 hours when the car should be sleeping! I would say it's 50/50 wether I lose the range or not.

I have checked if car is damp, no damp anywhere even in the boot where I've seen online that some people suffer with water ingress in the lower boot. The thing is this started happening around August time when the weather was nice and hot. So I don't buy their excuse if I'm honest.

Well I installed TeslaFi in the end and went for a drive and visited my parents. Sentry mode was enabled this time and to my surprise after my 1 and half hour visit I gained 2% range 😂😂😂.

The car hasn't got a clue what it's doing... I've done a full discharge and recharge to try and see if it was a battery balancing issue. Hasn't worked obviously.

View attachment 137513
You’ve set me thinking Dean. I read something about a month ago but rather than risk a potential red herring, can I ask if you usually charge the car to the same SoC every night?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I ask how much SoC you used in similar weather conditions travelling the same commute last year? I’m interested if there are any big differences and contributing factors.
About the same. If there is a diffence I haven't noticed it. My commute to work is mainly downhill. More uphill on the way home so I use around 14% to get home.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You’ve set me thinking Dean. I read something about a month ago but rather than risk a potential red herring, can I ask if you usually charge the car to the same SoC every night?
No, I vary it to ensure I don't charge outside the 5p/kWh 4 hour window of Octopus Go. Usually recharge to around 70-90%. Mostly 90%.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I’m sure you’ve probably tried it, but have you done a system reset? If it’s not sleeping properly, maybe a full reboot might help. Also may be true if you've had over the air updates and not restarted the car since. As your power losses are more recent, may this be a possible cause?

·
Registered
508 Posts
No, I vary it to ensure I don't charge outside the 5p/kWh 4 hour window of Octopus Go. Usually recharge to around 70-90%. Mostly 90%.
Thank you. I can’t find the article but from memory ...

The article argued that after prolonged use the BMS may have gradually got out of sync, such that charging fully to an indicated 100% may not recalibrate it. It said the solution was to charge the battery to say 90% then leave the car to go into a deep sleep for at least 5 to 6 hours. Then on subsequent days to leave the car at say 50% then say 30% then say 15%. Not necessarily in that order but on each occasion to let the car have at least 5 to 6 hours of deep, uninterrupted sleep whilst charged to different SoC. The writer said this would fully recalibrate the BMS so that usage reflected actual capacity and drain on the battery.

I don’t know enough to verify the instructions but the article seemed reasonable at the time. It set me thinking about whether battery depletion is actually that as indicated by the car. If all else fails it might be worth considering or perhaps asking Tesla’s opinion.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m sure you’ve probably tried it, but have you done a system reset? If it’s not sleeping properly, maybe a full reboot might help. Also may be true if you've had over the air updates and not restarted the car since. As your power losses are more recent, may this be a possible cause?
Hi Spike. If that's holding both scroll wheels in then yes I've done that a few times now.

That's the problem too with so many over the air updates somthing could have caused this issue that I have.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. I can’t find the article but from memory ...

The article argued that after prolonged use the BMS may have gradually got out of sync, such that charging fully to an indicated 100% may not recalibrate it. It said the solution was to charge the battery to say 90% then leave the car to go into a deep sleep for at least 5 to 6 hours. Then on subsequent days to leave the car at say 50% then say 30% then say 15%. Not necessarily in that order but on each occasion to let the car have at least 5 to 6 hours of deep, uninterrupted sleep whilst charged to different SoC. The writer said this would fully recalibrate the BMS so that usage reflected actual capacity and drain on the battery.

I don’t know enough to verify the instructions but the article seemed reasonable at the time. It set me thinking about whether battery depletion is actually that as indicated by the car. If all else fails it might be worth considering or perhaps asking Tesla’s opinion.
I think I have read the article you are talking about. I have left my car at variety different SOC doesn't seem like anything makes a difference...

I'm going to run TeslaFi for few weeks and see if I can see anything obvious.

If someone does have a referal that would be great!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think I have read the article you are talking about. I have left my car at variety different SOC doesn't seem like anything makes a difference...

I wish you well Dean. One final thought. There are two types of reset. One is mainly the screen which is actioned by pressing and holding the two buttons on the steering wheel, as you mentioned. The other type is a full software reset, actioned by pressing and holding the brake pedal at the same time as the two wheels. Perhaps worth a last gasp try at that?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

By all means use mine Dean, it’s DJP31-2. There’s a drop down box ‘help’ and select ‘raw data’ if you want to see what’s ‘alive’ at any point in time. There’s a host of option to choose from so it may be a bit of trial and error.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Dean, @PaulD got in with the answer first.. I’d meant a complete reboot, pedal and both scroll buttons. May just be worth a try if there’s a glitch in the software somewhere. Hope you can sort it.

Reactions: PaulD
1 - 16 of 16 Posts