Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ampera, 2013, 101k miles.
My wife suffered a loss of propulsion and engine failure on Sunday evening (her description as I wasn't in the car) whilst travelling at 60mph on the M25. The car had driven approx 70 miles so battery has depleted. She managed to get to the hard shoulder (brakes, steering etc working) turned the car off and on again and continued her journey as normal. However, the engine management light was illuminated, other than that all was normal. Today (Monday) after an overnight charge all is well with the car, no engine light on, no loss of power after the battery was deplrted, everything back to normal.
I've read the articles on this forum and done a little research and found an article that i currently can't post as this is my first post. I'll try to post it tomorrow.

I'm holding off on further investigation for the moment but will update the thread if it happens again.

BTW, great forum, I've learned a lot so thank you to all contributors.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
Trying to view the link gives me:-
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>BFB582A28323E7E2</RequestId>
<HostId>
/qm9Cs9rsdJppS5uDXg7/DBkxyfq3QYUpUpTOtxtx+6MdKPQXN4/lMGPXjdTCbSnPcRXrDFYhrM=
</HostId>
</Error>

The first suggestion would be the 12volt battery if the voltage has dropped, it can cause unusual symptoms. Hopefully, it was just a glitch never to repeat itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many apologies for the previous link. I've attached two more links that explain why there's power loss, somewhat disconcerting if I'm honest. Strangely enough, within a day of the original incident the engine management light went off and to date (3 days to be precise) I've encountered no further issues whether driving on battery or engine.
This issue is potentially is dangerous though, and the second link describes it a a product safety recall and GM in the USA recall certain cars for rectification. I'm going to contact Vauxhall Customer Services today to ask them their opinion of the issue and whether they'd consider recalling UK vehicles for rectification. I'm not hopeful but if they won't play ball I'll utilise my AA legal services to test their opinion.

Once I get answers I'll update the forum as this type of failure could easily be catastrophic in the wrong circumstance (overtaking vehicles on a motorway/dual carriageway etc)

Thanks for reading and have a good day.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Deffo check the 12V battery, lives under the boot floor. If this fails, can cause all sorts of problems. I had this same issue once, managed to crawl into a service station & blagged a 13A charge & sat there for a couple of hours waiting to get enough electricity; then when I powered the car on, all the problems had gone & have never reappeared! Bizarre or what? I can only assume it's a glitch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ampera, 2013, 101k miles.
My wife suffered a loss of propulsion and engine failure on Sunday evening (her description as I wasn't in the car) whilst travelling at 60mph on the M25. The car had driven approx 70 miles so battery has depleted. She managed to get to the hard shoulder (brakes, steering etc working) turned the car off and on again and continued her journey as normal. However, the engine management light was illuminated, other than that all was normal. Today (Monday) after an overnight charge all is well with the car, no engine light on, no loss of power after the battery was deplrted, everything back to normal.
I've read the articles on this forum and done a little research and found an article that i currently can't post as this is my first post. I'll try to post it tomorrow.

I'm holding off on further investigation for the moment but will update the thread if it happens again.

BTW, great forum, I've learned a lot so thank you to all contributors.
I had exactly these symptoms when I accidentally hit the blue power button whilst driving on M6. It actually lets you turn off ignition when in Drive! I now have a hinged perspex cover over the Power switch!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had exactly these symptoms when I accidentally hit the blue power button whilst driving on M6. It actually lets you turn off ignition when in Drive! I now have a hinged perspex cover over the Power switch!
Me too! During my early days with the Amp. - I meant to press the "Drive Mode" button/switch but pressed the blue "Power" button instead!
It is a very interesting experience . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts