Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is really stupid - but I have somehow mislaid the key to my Ampera and I cannot locate the spare.
I know that I put the spare in a safe place but we have been moving back into our house after major renovations and everything is upside down!
The car is locked so is it safe to assume that the key is not in the car? Last time I used the car my wife asked me to leave the key inside to stop the alarm from going off other wise it would have been in my pocket where it usually stays.
So what is the procedure for getting a new key?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,546 Posts
Can you claim for a lost key from your insurance? I have separate key insurance for our campervan, it only came with one key but we have since sourced a spare. Other than that I think it will be Vauxhall.as any of the places offering spare keys need one to clone and I know that not all Vauxhall keys can be cloned. I'm sure I've read on the Volt forums how to pair a new fob to your car but again that needs an original key in the driver's door lock for some of the steps.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there is partial good news - my wife found the spare key! The search continues for the main key!
If it isn't found, I will need to order a new key from Vx. The only remaining question is what happens with all the settings that were set up with the missing key?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,546 Posts
If you had 'Driver Personalisation' or something like that, set to 'Yes' then they have all gone, well not gone just inaccessible until you find the original key. IIRC it really only stored the preset radio stations.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I found the online cloning process and bought the right "blank" key but it didn't work, so I'd recommend against diy but you may have more luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good News - both keys have been found! The clue to the main key's whereabouts was that I had plugged the car in to charge after church on Sunday morning and then changed out of my 'Sunday best' clothing to carry out some work on my boat. The key was in the pocket of my smart trousers which had been put away until the next formal occasion!
I will need to take more care in future because in my panic, searching on line, I came across a blog post by @Paul_Moxhay where he suffered a similar fate and a replacement key worked out at around £250 including labour for re-programming by the dealer . . .

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Great to hear both keys found.

I found the online cloning process and bought the right "blank" key but it didn't work, so I'd recommend against diy but you may have more luck.
IIRC the online information is about the USA Volt which has a different key system. European models use a more secure system and different frequency. You can only get the keys coded at a Vauxhall Ampera dealer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I imagine you're right, all I can find now of the detail I followed is a jpg of the instructions so I don't know where ti came from. I won't post it here so as not to mislead!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts