Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 year old Kona - fast approaching 50K service - but found out last week that the air con has stopped working. Anyone know if this is covered by Warranty?

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,520 Posts
You will get the wheel of AC failures from the dealership

It’s just natural seepage (you pay)
It’s got a stone hit and leaked (you pay)
It’s wear and tear (you pay)
It’s because you used it too much / not enough (you pay)
And dozens of others

unless you hit the jackpot and the wheel stops on

it’s a faulty part that let it leak (we will pay)

about the same odds as winning lotto jackpot

good luck but they seem to see AC as a cash cow to charge for testing and refilling

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Unless there is provable physical damage from a stone puncturing the radiator or similar it should be under waranty.

2 years from an AC system before it needs repair or re-gassing is not normal or acceptable for any car ICE or EV no matter what a dealer might try to say, so stick to your guns unless they can show evidence of physical damage. Properly working AC systems don't leak unlike something like a tyre which does have some natural unavoidable leakage.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,520 Posts
2 year old Kona - fast approaching 50K service - but found out last week that the air con has stopped working. Anyone know if this is covered by Warranty?
Forgot to add if your AC is not working, take care if you Rapid charge as the A/C is required to cool the battery especially in summer on high power chargers, When our cooling system failed on our first Kona we were seeing battery temps up to 60c and serious charging speed throttling, followed by the fans running for hours as it tried to cool the battery with warm water.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Booked in for service / AC fix next week.
BTW rapid charged at Ionity (Skelton Lake - Leeds) last week at 21C after 140 mile trip. Pleasantly surprised that:
1) my charge Hyundai card worked as it should
2) the car pulled 76kW for 10 mins before throttling back to 56kW at about 65%
And the fans didn’t fire up at all!

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
50k ‘service’ completed today (a shade over £100) at Hyundai Bletchley.
But more importantly, the AirCon was fixed (phew). Apparently it just needed regassing: they tried to charge £60 extra for it(!), but with a bit of argument they backed down and did it FOC (as they should). Cool is restored😎

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,841 Posts
But more importantly, the AirCon was fixed (phew). Apparently it just needed regassing: they tried to charge £60 extra for it(!), but with a bit of argument they backed down and did it FOC (as they should). Cool is restored😎
Not sure why a 2 year old AC would 'just need regassing'.

(It's leaking .... )

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Aircon stopped working and would only produce a hissing sound instead of cool air when engaged.

Booked into the dealer for investigation at which point they found the condenser was leaking due to a manufacturing defect. Replaced under warranty with no further problems.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If it needed re-gassing the original gas must have escaped somewhere, no?

I had similar story with my Polo. VW twice regassed it in space of 4 weeks. They couldn't detect a leak and wanted to charge me £2K to replace evaporator as it was the only place they could not probe - requires removing most of dash and likely the engine :(
Called indepenent guy who said he never heard of leaking evaporator unless the car is 15 years old. At the end it was a hole he detected in about 60 sec with UV light :)
Costed £70 including new gas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, I had a leaking evaporator in my Ioniq, so anything’s possible.. It took seven visits to fix, since they first found a couple of other leaks (dunno how that’s possible since it was working fine for several months before).

·
31,841 Posts
Well, I had a leaking evaporator in my Ioniq, so anything’s possible.. It took seven visits to fix, since they first found a couple of other leaks (dunno how that’s possible since it was working fine for several months before).
You have harsh cold over there. Maybe due to condensate freezing in the evaporator and doing mechanical damage?

Top tip; always power off your AC a mile or two from home and blow outside air through it. If you are going to park up for a while, especially if the weather might turn frosty, then do a whole run in the car with no AC and external fans on. This will dry the evaporator out.

·
64KW/h Premium SE on order in Galactic grey
92 Posts
Kona with 37000 miles on the clock. Aircon is warm and has been for a while.
Booked it into dealer who said that if no fault is found that is covered under warranty then it will be £130 charge for the examination and then £99 plus vat to charge the car up.

Or i can pay the £99 to charge the car up and hope there is no leak etc. if there is then id have to pay to get it fixed and then to charge it up again.

I think this will be the last Hyundai i ever buy. Not happy

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The only way it won't be under warranty is if there is physical damage, and that should be easy enough to check for yourself - the radiator behind the front grille is pretty much the only place any damage could occur, so any damage should be visible.

·
31,841 Posts
@David Andrews , change the dealer if you can. Evenif you have to drive 50 miles to another one. Some are way better than others.
Which also implies some are worse!

Check out and ask for any recommendations. But main dealers can also vary, good one day and down hill the next as they turn over their staff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts