Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received today outside my front door a second hand 15 plate Renault Zoe.

What do I do about getting a charger? Any people I need to stay away from or is the installation industry quite good?

Should I just get a 3 pin plug?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
@Richie it depends.

Firstly it's either a Renault Zoe or a Nissan Leaf :ROFLMAO:

As to what charger it really depends on your usage. I personally have a 6.6kW Leaf24. I need the fast charger as for example yesterday I drove to a job, came back home with about 37% left. I then put it on charge while I had lunch and packed for the drive up north. I left home a little over an hour later with 78%, which was enough to get me to Beaconsfield Services for my first rapid charge of the day. If I had to rely on a 3pin, I could not have done the journey in a sensible time. Even the 16a 3kW charger would have made the journey much longer.

But I do not commute, am self employed and my daily use varies between 5 miles and 150 miles. If you have a fixed commute then you could get by with a 3pin socket. I would recommend a 30a wallbox fitted to your property regardless of the car you have forfuture proofing.

·
Registered
2018 Soul EV
2,552 Posts
So is it a Leaf or a Zoe @Richie ? Whatever it is you will get fed up getting the lead out every night, unrolling it, pluging it in, and the reverse every morning. Get a 16 or 32amp tethered home chargepoint and enjoy 10 seconds a day charging. Most companies are reputable and some are mentioned on here in the charging section. Hope you enjoy the car, hell you are going too.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Welcome, Richie! I'm getting my Zoe next week and have booked POD Point to install a 32 amp tethered charger.

I faffed around for quite a while attempting to get quotes from local installers on the OLEV list most of whom let me down either by not responding to calls/emails, surveyed but not quoting, leaving me hanging by not getting back after they said they would, or saying they are too busy (which was acceptable). POD Point have been by far the easiest company to deal with - called me after I filled in an enquiry form within a couple of hours, helped with the ordering process and filling in the OLEV forms, stuck to their advertised price, didn't need me to do a remote survey taking photos of my fusebox etc.

If you look in the General Charging Discussion forum you'll find a fair number of recommendations for them and PP are active on the forum too. Hoping my install goes smoothly!

·
Premium Member
10,644 Posts
Welcome! The Zoe doesn't normally come with a 13A charger (aka Granny charger) because the car isn't very efficient at taking 10A which the highest safe current from a UK socket for a long time. Due to this the time to charge on the Granny is very long.

You really need a 32A charger for best efficiency and to quickly add charge if you need to go back out again. My preference is a tethered charger but some people prefer a socket so friends can use different EVs (and easier to switch in future).

Both our chargers were installed by Chargemaster who did a great job and replaced one after 2 years under warranty. However, they are expensive compared to others. Don't delay too long as I think you have to apply within 4 months to get the grant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts