Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a lot of broken charge points there.
Out of the 12 available connections only 3 connections are working.
They are all on the west side near the activity centre.

The failure is that the posts look like they're fine but no charge is delivered and eventually the post complains about the car not taking power.
We thought the problem was with the car at first but after trying with 3 different LEAFs it was clearly not.
Fortunately the Zoe and i3 finished up charging while we were messing around so the two LEAFs who had no other options could get a charge.
Called @CYC except they're office hours only. o_O
75% failure rate is really not impressive for a set rather expensive posts.
I'd really like to know what the hardware issue is here.

·
Registered
245 Posts
@MetalHead My wife complained of this last weekend and I emailed CYC to report it. They said there was a software update due which should fix this problem but had to be a service call rather than an over-the-air fix. Obviously not done / worked?
Please email them to reinforce the issue and hopefully they will treat it as a priority!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've noticed this issue at the Trafford Centre before and also with a more local charging point.

It seems like they will all fail eventually :( I used to consider these posts reliable.

Are the charging networks being too optimistic with their 'hands-off' approach in terms of long term reliability? Or is there actually not one charge point manufacturer capable of producing reliable hardware?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. Had a few reports from twitter as well. Will give the manufacturer a call tomorrow and try to get a fix in place ASAP. I know how popular a site it is so I'll do my best to get someone there Monday

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@CYC thanks for that.
It was more worrying because the fault made it look initially like a car charger problem which made for a few sweaty minutes. A good fix would be better for everyone too. I doubt you need this grief either!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noticed this post from last year. I've visited here twice and both times the charging has stopped after about 2 minutes of charging. Not sure if its related to this issue but it is very frustrating (particularly if there is an issue with the rapid chargers at Birch also which caused us issues getting home the first time)

·
Registered
588 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Any by not even charging, there are 2 aspects. People who are finished and still parked there, but more annoyingly, people who are parked there and not even plugged in!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Was there today, almost a full bay when i arrived and when i left. Place was heaving, but it was nice to see a fleet of Leaf, A3 e tron and i3's all topping up.

Hadn't released that you only get 16A if there is another car on the other side of the post (i'd had 32A before from a adjacent post), mean't i was still charging when we left, with no charge-bump message recieved I felt safe to leave it continuing to charge and plugged in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was there today too. Used a charge point in the 'garage' part. The first one I tried didn't work.

There was a Mitsubishi charging when I arrived and when leaving saw another Leaf and an Ampera so definitely well used.

it was my first time there in the Leaf, so wasn't too sure what to expect. I activated the charge by phone so was easy enough!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Actually there must have been an issue, it says online that all 6 points are 7KW so for some reason I was only getting 3.5KW.

Over to you guys @CYC i guess then?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any by not even charging, there are 2 aspects. People who are finished and still parked there, but more annoyingly, people who are parked there and not even plugged in!!!
I would agree the spaces should be used for those using the facilities. My car sends me message to say when its done do they all do the same? if so when the cars full, time to move from a bay.

Parking and not plugging in at all is a miss use of the facilities in my eyes.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Actually there must have been an issue, it says online that all 6 points are 7KW so for some reason I was only getting 3.5KW.

Over to you guys @CYC i guess then?
To my knowledge the lower power is right. They are 7kW capable and split when there are 2 cars. What'd be interesting to know is if they have a straight 50:50 split or load balance, say when one car is at the final stage can it take 1kW and the other take 6kW, or do they just have 3kW each available to them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would agree the spaces should be used for those using the facilities. My car sends me message to say when its done do they all do the same? if so when the cars full, time to move from a bay.

Parking and not plugging in at all is a miss use of the facilities in my eyes.
Mine does too but honestly, most of the time it doesn't work. You know how long your car takes to charge from whatever SOC you have. When I go for 3 hours and a car is finished on arrival and still there when I leave, that's just plain ignorance. If I ever thought I was going to be staying there for anything more than a short period of time after my estimated completion, I'd go move it. If you're getting to an hour or more of parking after you finished charging, you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for letting us know about this. Will do some digging tomorrow morning try to get engineers there ASAP

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for letting us know about this. Will do some digging tomorrow morning try to get engineers there ASAP
Thanks @CYC

I was on post point 60035 from 13:15 to 16:37, there was a change of car the other side of the same post (from black Leaf to blue Leaf) at some point.

On post 60032 previously I've had 30A or 7KW.

As said this may be by design (7KW to one car or 3.5KW to two cars on the same post). No issue if this is correct more an enquiry if this is right

Thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts