Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
They should all be shouting about it given the UN climate conference and the shambles this country is getting in. On the news tonight there was a piece about the lack of transport links across the midlands. There is talk of speeding up rail times to London with HS2, lack of capacity on the rail...and roads. But because of ice pollution levels, they do this! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...etch-M1-meet-EU-pollution-target-planned.html

So much for joined up government.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Those peak hour speed limit reductions are a good idea. It's rarely possible to maintain a speed much in excess of 50mph on a busy motorway in any case, and the variable speed limits on the M25 kick in so often that it's a de facto 60mph limit on there anyway. Specifically mentioning 60mph and the EU in the same sentence is manna from heaven to the readers of the Daily Heil.

A bit more enforcement of other traffic offences would be handy though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Read this, was quite surprised: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...4/Mercedes-reveals-Plug-in-Hybrid-future.html

I wonder if Vauxhall are planning the same... and Audi... Where "What fuel type would you like for X model?" is a choice between petrol, diesel, or PHEV (or even BEV)...
It looks as though Mercedes may have decided they need something to compete with Tesla who have shown that you don't have to be a car company to build cars. Tesla potentially represent new disruptive tech able to threaten the old ways.

For me, the drawback with a PHEV is that the batteries are smaller, so you have to stop more often to charge, and the rapid chargers take longer eg only 50A for the Outlander vs 125A for the Leaf. On the plus side you can run the battery right to the limit of its range without worrying about getting stranded, assuming you have remembered to put petrol in.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
For me, the drawback with a PHEV is that the batteries are smaller, so you have to stop more often to charge, and the rapid chargers take longer eg only 50A for the Outlander vs 125A for the Leaf. On the plus side you can run the battery right to the limit of its range without worrying about getting stranded, assuming you have remembered to put petrol in.

The benifit of the PHEV concept is that most of the time you are pure EV (the average milage being about 40 per day) and then use as a "normal" car the rest of the time. In the USA there are several reports that the Volt drives more EV miles than the LEAF as you have no fear of being stranded.

IMO if people are stopping to Rapid charge their PHEV and it is not part of a normal "I need a pee" stop then they should have probably have brought a BEV.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Although it is nice to have the best of ALL worlds. I'd like to drive pure EV daily commute, rapid charge when I have the luxury of time on longer journeys BUT have the reassurance of a range extending ICE for longer journeys in which I simply don't have time to stop for chargers...or if a planned rapid charger is out of action.

For now though, the Ampera is STILL the best option for my needs.

Reactions: Parax

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
Although it is nice to have the best of ALL worlds. I'd like to drive pure EV daily commute, rapid charge when I have the luxury of time on longer journeys BUT have the reassurance of a range extending ICE for longer journeys in which I simply don't have time to stop for chargers...or if a planned rapid charger is out of action.
I am 100% with you:) but not every 40 miles. Thats why I hope the i5 Rex has a sensable sized petrol tank and I win the Lottery, as I guess they wont be cheap

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Or the Tesla Gen 3?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts