Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... on Saturday at about 10pm I relied on the Ecotricity charger at Leicester Forest M1 service station northbound. The app gave some message about it not working and try again later, so I did. About 6 times.

The phone number on the charger was answered by a message saying call back during office hours.

According to the car's satnav the nearest charging point was only 5 miles longer than the charge left, but having no choice started my journey at some 50mph only for another message to show en-route that it needed charging before. Fortunately there was a destination charger in a hotel nearby whose staff couldn't have been nicer although, of course, I had to wait for about an hour. Eventually I got to bed at 2am after a rather distressful night. My fear of being stranded on a cold, dark B-road could easily have come true.

A phone call to Ecotricity yesterday was responded to by an apology, the man checking and saying the charger in question was still broken! That suggests no-one is using them!

Having got that off my cheat I guess we've all had such a baptism. So what would be the best alternative supplier to join? Polar looks okay but I'd welcome suggestions.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
... on Saturday at about 10pm I relied on the Ecotricity charger at Leicester Forest M1 service station northbound. The app gave some message about it not working and try again later, so I did. About 6 times.

The phone number on the charger was answered by a message saying call back during office hours.
This is why in my view the Ecotricity network is a total waste of time!!

I tired to use Ecotricity chargers back in 2015 when I had a Leaf, roughly 50% of them were not working out of the dozen chargers I tried. Sounds like its no better now, really don't see the point of a charging network that is so usless and unreliable.

Good news is Tesla have now got planning permission to install 24 superchargers at Leicester Forest east (12 chargers each side of the M way).

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome to the world of electric cars! Having been flat-bedded twice due to Ecotricity chargers being unavailable I don't take my car outside of it's range now and hire a dirty diesel for longer journeys. Shame, as I wanted to make the switch but right now it's just not practical. I do live in the South-West which is a disadvantage for BEV drivers too...

That said - you have a vastly better network of chargers (& range!) available to you than us non-Tesla drivers, don't you?!

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
If you’re using the in car satnav to forecast range remember it’s very conservative.

Routing to chargepoints on a low SOC, it’s better to calculate it yourself or use the consumption graph. If you keep the speed way down to 30 mph or so and keep the heating low you can go a long way.

The Ecotricity app should tell you the status of a charger before you get there. But always have a plan B for non-Superchargers.

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
This is why in my view the Ecotricity network is a total waste of time!!

I tired to use Ecotricity chargers back in 2015 when I had a Leaf, roughly 50% of them were not working out of the dozen chargers I tried. Sounds like its no better now, really don't see the point of a charging network that is so usless and unreliable.

Good news is Tesla have now got planning permission to install 24 superchargers at Leicester Forest east (12 chargers each side of the M way).
I’ve always had a fairly good experience with Ecotricity, but I agree with the Supercharger network these are rapidly becoming redundant for a Tesla.

I though Leicester Forest had a 22 kw post as well?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Leics FE Northbound is next up on the Supercharger build program (might have even started, is a few weeks since I was there) but as others have said, have a back up plan.

I've done a LOT of miles in my car, to rural Wales and many other charging deserts, and not had a problem. You currently need to plan your trip a little more, but with more superchargers coming online, I find myself gradually reducing my journey plans.

·
Super Moderator
7,414 Posts
And 2 CHAdeMO capable units. The CCS unit northbound has always been flakey.
And you can go up one junction to use the southbound too - I’ve done that before at LFE.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Ive hardly ever had any problems with EH chargers now, they are way more reliable than they have ever been, the OP is lucky he didnt try using it 3 years ago :eek: reliability and availability is massively improved, its not perfect of course but with a little planning and always with a second option pretty much any journey is now possible, if its doable in a 24kwh Leaf its definitely doable in a Tesla.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
With Ecotricity locations and the range of a Model S, most journeys will pass more than one of them and (unlike at superchargers) you will get a faster charge by stopping earlier (while 40%-70% full) rather than waiting until almost empty. Taking that approach gives you the option to press on to the second site if the first is broken/ICEd/busy as well as saving a small amount charge time.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,651 Posts
And you can go up one junction to use the southbound too - I’ve done that before at LFE.
I used the service road, I've done this a few times at various MSA's where the charger on one side isn't working and the staff have always been very willing to help, had to do it quite regularly at Newport Pagnell because the NB CCS was out of action for ages.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I used the service road, I've done this a few times at various MSA's where the charger on one side isn't working and the staff have always been very willing to help, had to do it quite regularly at Newport Pagnell because the NB CCS was out of action for ages.
How do you do that RT, practically? Who do you go and ask?

Presumably you have to get a barrier lifted to exit, and then another barrier once you've crossed over? Just thinking of some info to file away for a rainy day ....

OP, surely stopping earlier so you have another charger enroute as Plan B is the best idea?

·
10,651 Posts
How do you do that RT, practically? Who do you go and ask?

Presumably you have to get a barrier lifted to exit, and then another barrier once you've crossed over? Just thinking of some info to file away for a rainy day ....

OP, surely stopping earlier so you have another charger enroute as Plan B is the best idea?

At Newport Pagnell I asked in the shop but the woman didn't know so I just drove up to the barrier and explained my problem and the person who answered (think they might have been on the hotel reception) just raised the barrier, then when I got to the other side they must have been waiting for me because the barrier just raised.

I don't recall there being a barrier at LFE but I always check to make sure it's OK and most places have been really helpful.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,599 Posts
The Ecotricity app should tell you the status of a charger before you get there. But always have a plan B for non-Superchargers.
Be warned the app does not show the rapids are working. Couple of weeks back despite showing 4 rapids as green and available (2 on either side of the motorway) all of them were without network connection and had not gone over to free vend either.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
339 Posts
I only use Ecotricity when it's absolutely necessary, i.e. for long journeys.
My network of preference is Polar; I subscribe to Polar Plus at £7.85 per month. This, I find works for me.
Driving an EV, I find, means planning your journeys a lot more thoroughly. I liken it to an aircraft Captain. When the aircraft is flying form Airport A to Airport B the captain doesn't just take on fuel to cover the journey he/she takes on more in reserve, also planning alternative airports where refuelling is possible; this is the same for an EV.
For journey planning I use Zap Map.

·
10,651 Posts
For journey planning I use Zap Map.
Me too, the route planning is a bit quirky (it doesn't deal with reverse routes very well if you've used an MSA) but I find it generally does what I need it to do, it's even found some new routes that I hadn't considered before.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems and personally I wouldn't rely on a EH charger outside of supported hours. It isn't clear from your post if you had a chademo adapter or were just trying to use AC at 11kW?

As most EH sites have two chademo units and it will charge at almost 50kW, IMO the adaptor is an essential purchase with a Tesla in UK. I used a borrowed one several times on my UK Tesla experience week (thanks ChargeMaster)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
One thing ecotricity need is 24 hr support.
This is a no brainer. How hard is it for them to do this, even outsource to somewhere like Australia or Canada to cope with the time difference?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts