Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I reckon Geoff's 50p is safe. I'm sure I read somewhere all new cars are to fitted with a geo-logging type facility from 2023 or something. My guess is that is to enable big brother style tracking to take place. They'll know exactly where and what time you began your journey, how far and how fast you drove while you undertook the said journey. And probably who was doing the driving. And you'll be billed accordingly of course......

Welcome to the future folks.......

·
Registered
255 Posts
So what colour is your I-Pace?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yah, got that, I like to be obtuse sometimes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I reckon Geoff's 50p is safe. I'm sure I read somewhere all new cars are to fitted with a geo-logging type facility from 2023 or something. My guess is that is to enable big brother style tracking to take place. They'll know exactly where and what time you began your journey, how far and how fast you drove while you undertook the said journey. And probably who was doing the driving. And you'll be billed accordingly of course......

Welcome to the future folks.......
I don't know if this is correct or not but, if it is, it would be well over 10 years before it was fully rolled out, i.e. around 2035. I'd think number plate recognition technology is more likely but even the infrastructure for that would take an age to roll out.

I think VED is going to be here a while yet. I agree with everyone else who thinks the EV exemption will be phased out, but I don't think there's any doubt that overall taxation on ICEs will always be higher, probably increasingly so as time passes.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
VED pretty much all got levelled at £140 a few years ago with the addition of the luxury element for years 2-5. Before that it was Co2 based which seemed logical but the Tories decided that everyone should pay the same, probably so they and their chums were not penalised for driving Range Rovers.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts