Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,352 Posts
There’s heaps of opinion in this section alone, good and bad, some of it from actual owners!

I’ve done 6500 miles in nearly 4 months in mine, and it’s not let me down, even though it’s on the early software with its ‘quirks’.

Whether you ‘love’ a car will be subjective, but I think it drives very well, looks well screwed together and will do the job for years to come.

Nobody is talking about 12v battery failures anymore, now it’s warming up a bit even the cold weather efficiency isn’t being debated, and in due course everybody will stop talking about software.

You really need to loan one for a day or two from your VW dealer, make up your own mind. It’s a good car I think, not just a good EV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, certainly a vote for ‘love it’ here! I’ve said before on here - we have another EV in the house that cost double the amount of the ID.3 - but it’s the ID.3 that my wife and I both favour given the choice.

We’ve had none of the issues that have impacted some on here - the car just works, does everything it’s meant to. My wife simply wouldn’t put up with anything not being right/working as she wanted it to work - and the only complaint was about the “silly noise when you switch it off” (it does the VW brand sound) - fortunately you can disable that in the settings menu......so all good since then....and the fact that there are no other complaints from my wife on anything not being how she’d want it suggests it’s very intuitive too.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Only 'cause I've given up mentioning it.
Doesn't mean it's got any better just it's been mentioned too much.
I like most other things about the car and don't intend to move on yet.
Yes, it’s been ‘done to death’, it bothers some people and others don’t see it as an issue.

We at least now understand why it heats the battery though.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about road and motor noise?
Poor interior quality?
Software problems were mentioned, of course.
These were the 2 main complaints from 'experts'.
My general feeling is that VW is going to be the EV leader, and are fully committed, unlike Hyundai, Kia, Nissan etc
who are really dragging their feet.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'd love to hear from people who actually own the car and their experiences.
I've had a lot more issues than most with my particular car, but I still think it's a great car. Very comfortable, sure-footed, quiet, well-built. The software could use some work but hopefully VW will improve that over time.

One of the things I like most about it is the "ease of use". With keyless entry you walk up to the car, get in, select drive & go. No faffing around, the lights and wipers are automatic so it doesn't matter if it's dark and/or raining. You don't need to push any buttons or fiddle with settings before you drive off. Pre-heat/pre-cool is great when it works (I'm sure it will be properly sorted at some point). Android Auto even connects and carries on the song you were listening to (and even better, if you use Spotify in the house too it continues from whatever device you were using last).

·
Registered
628 Posts
Poor interior quality?
It's quiet enough. I think it's perhaps a bit quieter than my e-Golf but I very rarely drive without music on, so it wouldn't bother me either way. It's certainly not obtrusively noisy at speed on the motorway.

The interior isn't terrible, but it's not premium either. Everything is screwed together well, it's just that the materials used seem a bit "cheap" for a car at that price point. The e-Golf was definitely better on that front, for example. The seats on the lowest Life model are very basic flat seats with no side support though. They aren't hugely improved in the 1st Edition to be honest but again, not terrible.

On a side note, I saw a T-Roc Cabriolet in the showroom yesterday when I collected my car. I would very much like the seats from that in my ID.3!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Poor interior quality?
It’s a very quiet car, even by EV standards. It’s subject a little to which tyres are fitted, but wind noise is also very suppressed.

Poor interior quality? Again, a little subjective, and depends how you’re measuring quality. As somebody who works in the aviation sector, quality to me means more than just whether something is made out of soft touch plastics. There are some hard plastics in the ID.3, and clearly it was designed and built to a different set of priorities than a Golf or Passat. But it doesn’t squeak or rattle, and the bits you touch are fine. In my opinion.

I’ve got a brand new Golf 8 sitting outside at the moment, a £32k car, it’s surprisingly similar to the ID.3 internally, running very similar software etc.

I’d say the seats are ‘nicer’, and some of the soft touch plastics are in more places, and the door bins are lined, little things like that.

The indicator sounds are very ropey though, sound way more ‘cheap’ than the ID.3s! 😂

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
572 Posts
Poor interior quality?
It's the quietest car I've ever owned or driven.

There's nothing wrong with the interior build quality - the choice of materials aren't to everyone's taste (but that is true of ANY car), personally I really don't like the piano black shiny plastic but have applied a vinyl wrap to mine on the 4 doors and centre floor console.

Reactions: henryv

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
personally I really don't like the piano black shiny plastic but have applied a vinyl wrap to mine on the 4 doors and centre floor console.
I saw your posts on that, you did a good job and it looks smart.

I must do that to mine at some point as well, the piano black already has minor abrasions/swirls on it.

·
Registered
ID3
170 Posts
It’s slightly quieter than an eNiro if that helps (I got to go in my brothers on Christmas Day). It handles its weight better than an eNiro too and doesn’t suffer wheelspins on poor road surfaces as much as the id3 is rear drive.

The 55 profile tires on the life can squirm a bit though, I’d go for a larger wheel if you have the option.

I can’t say I love it as it was a head decision rather than a heart decision (I have childish taste in cars) but it’s a surprisingly capable car.

if you are coming from a ten year old Renault like I did you will wonder what all this fuss about build quality is, by comparison the id3 seems like it was designed by civil engineers 😆

·
Registered
220 Posts
Poor interior quality?
Fine by me but I tend to hold the steering wheel and watch the road rather than scan the interior and stroke the door panels!

It's a very good car with a few, reducing, software annoyances.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fine by me but I tend to hold the steering wheel and watch the road rather than scan the interior and stroke the door panels!

It's a very good car with a few, reducing, software annoyances.
'..rather than scan the interior and stroke the door panels!'

You are not a reviewer then digital?:cool:
They prod, pull, and smell everything before they set off!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I saw your posts on that, you did a good job and it looks smart.

I must do that to mine at some point as well, the piano black already has minor abrasions/swirls on it.
Autoglym Super Resin Polish is very good for minor scratches on piano black trim. It contains fillers as one of its ingredients so is very handy for anything like this.

Just sharing as a tip for anyone who might find it useful - comes from the detailing forums.

·
Registered
220 Posts
'..rather than scan the interior and stroke the door panels!'

You are not a reviewer then digital?:cool:
They prod, pull, and smell everything before they set off!!:rolleyes:
I prefer real life rather than their searches for obscure points in a bid to make them appear clever!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I admit I cringe when reviewers scratch the doors and then prattle about the volume/temp controls in a car they drive for 30 minutes. They then typically bang on about low mpkwh on a freezing cold day on that very same 30 minute drive where they have explored the performance of the ID. Yesterday I recorded 5.2 mpkwh and this is inline with the warmer temperatures, will be interesting to see what it does in the summer.

Don't get me wrong I like a car with a nice quality interior (coming from BMW/Merc/VW) but I like the spartan look of the ID.3 and it is something that will last, it's certainly well screwed together. A set of well bolstered GTi sports seats would vastly improve the interior though.

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
184 Posts
One piece sports seats are an option on higher trim ID.3s in Germany- they look like the sports seats in the GTI with integrated headrests. Presume they'll come to the UK at some point too.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
575 Posts
I have watched a lot of reviews, but reaction is so confusing on the ID3.
Robert Fully Charged loves it.
EVM not so much.
I'd love to hear from people who actually own the car and their experiences.
As much as I love watching Robert he does terrible not objective reviews as he loves all EVs and is very rarely critical of anything which is driven by electrons

EVM's review of the ID3 was pretty much spot on I wouldn't agree with everything he said but I'd agree with his conclusion, good car if you can get a discount. For the price I paid for my Life I'm a happy bunny but would I have paid list price, well that wasn't an option as we couldn't afford it at list so no I wouldn't but I wouldn't by any car at £30k+ so we'd have settled for the MG5 with less range and its other issues (my daughter hated the back seat in that car) or we'd have just not purchased an EV right now and waited for one secondhand, the problem is we'd have been waiting for a long time I fear!

We've only done just over 600 miles with lockdown so far but it's in daily use now schools are back as my wife is a teacher and she is happy with it so far. I've just experienced a few niggles so far:

• It came on with a warning light and some message about not being able to drive etc a quick on and off again fixed that I'm not sure if it was something i did like maybe trying to put it in gear with the brake not on or just a glitch anyway easy fix and hasn't come back.
  • Last night when I plugged it in it was only charging at 1 and a bit kW and a warning came up on the dash again easy fixed by unplugging it and plugging it back in but if I'd not noticed it would have taken an age to charge up.
  • The comms module was foobar on delivery so the car wont update properly and the app doesn't work, the dealer is going to fix this for me as soon as the part comes in so no big deal.
Other than that it drives really nicely better than the Leaf and MGs, heaters work great and I love the heated seats and wheel, sound proofing seems pretty good, sound system is OK fine for us but audiophiles may be disappointed and it has some nice storage features apart from the sodding french style glove box and a lack of map pockets in the Life.

Personnaly I think the biggest competitor the ID3 is going to have is the ID4 looking at the difference in list prices between the 2 1st editions the ID4 looks like it could be very keenly priced, we wouldn't want one as my wife prefers a smaller sized car but I think a lot of people would go for the 4 instead if the price wasn't much different

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
692 Posts
I like the ID3 interior. It is minimalist but good quality to my tastes, and I recently owned a Golf tsi. Reviewers tend to follow like sheep and have been stupid on the interior imho.
I’m still on the oldest software 0564 and that is poor. 2.1 should be a lot better with regular updates to come.
In terms of other serious issues. I have had some scary locking charger issues but hope that is software related and will be required solved with the update.
They put in a workaround re the 12v battery drain in software version 2.0. I hope 2.1 contains a root cause fix but who knows.
Mid Winter efficiency isn’t great just about 200 miles. But again there is room for improvement.
The car drives quite heavy and a bit crashy on rougher roads. But I assume many EVs are similar (?)
Ps. I have a 1st Edition with 2000 miles on the clock.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts