Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Kona 64KW SE Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my lovely new Kona electric SE premium and have to admit it has surpassed my expectations.
The questions I have are
  1. Is there any way to switch off the alarm that sounds when you cross a white line? I like the lane follow 'tap' you get on the steering wheel but the alarm is doing my head in.
  2. I have noticed there is a lot of tyre noise coming up through the body, anyone else noticed this? and is there anything easy to do to reduce it.
Other than this I must say I am impressed with the paint (ceramic blue) finish, the smart cruise control; amazed when it pulled up to a full stop behind a car at a set of traffic lights. Must admit my foot was hovering over the brake pedal

·
Registered
338 Posts
1. Button below right of the steering wheel should sort that (but you have to press it each time you restart - I wish it remembered the setting!)
2. Not particularly noticed that....is this your first EV? With no engine noise, one does notice other sounds!

6 years into adaptive cruise with my Volvo (ICE) and 15 months into the Kona, I still keep a watch on the brakes when it kicks in...but it is an amazing feature.....drove 5 hours to Glasgow today (in the Volvo - needed the space for storage!), makes the journey really smooth.

enjoy!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Is there any way to switch off the alarm that sounds when you cross a white line? I like the lane follow 'tap' you get on the steering wheel but the alarm is doing my head in.
1. Button below right of the steering wheel should sort that (but you have to press it each time you restart - I wish it remembered the setting!)
Doesn't that turn the whole system off, not just the alert?
It actually annoys my wife more than me. I've found that it appears to be intelligent though. If you drift it alerts but if you actually move the wheel a bit to deliberately cross, as when straightening a dog-leg in the road when there's nothing coming the other way, it seems to accept it.
Using the indicator also cancels it for a few seconds.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ah yes, sorry, I mis-read - assumed you meant turn it off. Sorry, don’t think I’ve seen any option to leave the nudge on without the beep....
As mikeegs says, either indicate to switch lanes, or don’t drift (& accept the warning beep)!
My “preflight checks” are essentially turning that off and popping the auto hold button on.....

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Tyre noise is poor on the Kona unfortunately, though it should be less bad on a brand new one if it's got better tyres on it? Until earlier this year they came with Nexens which are very noisy (EV or otherwise). Many of us have swapped to all-season tyres which are both grippier and far quieter.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The User Manual Chapter 5 (for the pre 2020 cars and very likely the same for the current ones) explains the Lane Keep Assist (LKA) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW) controls, plus much, much more!

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Tyre noise is poor on the Kona unfortunately, though it should be less bad on a brand new one if it's got better tyres on it? Until earlier this year they came with Nexens which are very noisy (EV or otherwise). Many of us have swapped to all-season tyres which are both grippier and far quieter.
UK ones still come with Nexen, it's only the ones manufactured in the EU that come with Michelin so far and they're all LHD.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 64kWh Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
18 Posts
The Kona "driving assistance" features are quite complex to understand, especially as (in the later cars) there are two almost completely separate systems which can "nudge" the steering wheel. The manual is OK, but still leaves a lot of questions unanswered and could be massively improved - like much of the rest manual which seems to favour quantity of words over quality of information IMO. From what I can see comparing online pre-2020 and my own post-2020 manuals, the pre- and post-2020 cars have some important differences in the systems available, the names used to describe them, the features available, and when they are active.
  • Pre-2020 cars have menu options for LDW and Standard LKA, and may (depending upon equipment level) have Active LKA, with a physical "disable" button by the driver's right knee
  • Post-2020 with LKA "Type A" have menu options for LDW, Standard LKA and Active LKA modes, as per the pre-2020 cars
  • Post-2020 with LKA "Type B" have menu options for LDW and LKA modes with the physical "disable" button, and a separate LFA "on/off" menu option which is linked to the Smart Cruise Control and is NOT disabled by the LDW/LKA physical button.
Lots of acronyms, so...
  • LDW (Lane Departure Warning). Bleeps-only. Can be temporarily disabled using the button near the driver's right knee, but will turn back on next time the car is "started".
  • Standard LKA (Lane Keep Assist - pre-2020, post-2020 "Type A" only). Bleeps and nudges. Can be temporarily disabled using the button near the driver's right knee, but will turn back on next time the car is "started". Standard LKA is only enabled above 37mph - which is especially annoying on twisty country roads with 40mph limits as the system is constantly turning itself on and off as you slow down for bends.
  • Active LKA (pre-2020 if equipped and post-2020 "Type A" only). Actively steers the car to keep in the centre of the lane. Can be temporarily disabled using the button near the driver's right knee, but will turn back on next time the car is "started". Active LKA is only enabled above 37mph, as with Standard LKA.
  • LKA (post-2020 "Type B" only). A new name for "Standard LKA" above.
  • LFA (Lane Follow Assist - post-2020 "Type B" only). Actively steers the car to keep in the centre of the lane, similar to "Active LKA" above, however, critically, once enabled, this system is always active when the Smart Cruise Control (SCC) is active and the vehicle speed is above 37mph, even if the rest of the LKA/LDW system is turned off. There is no quick and easy way to disable LFA without going back deep into the menus. Whilst LFA is great on motorways, dual carriageways and some A-roads, I suggest you are very careful when using SCC on B-roads and country lanes, especially those with edge markings but no centre line as you can find the car quite suddenly steers to the middle of the road especially if you get close to the edge - not great if there's a car coming the other way! Having had a couple of "moments", I now never use the SCC cruise control other than on major roads - I use the speed limiter instead, which keeps the LFA system off.
My post-2020 "Type B" car also seems to revert to LKA randomly even though I select LDW mode, which can also be "interesting" on narrow roads, hence I usually turn it off completely each time I "start" the car. From what I have read here, many drivers do the same, and habitually turn LKA off whenever they drive as it is intrusive and, IMO, potentially dangerous on narrow 40mph country lines (which is a lot of my driving).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Also in there Menu now there is

LEADING VEHICLE DEPARTURE WARNING.

Sure that was not there on the old car but maybe going mad and just never took any notice of it before.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Its in the same menu for my 2018 built car (not updated yet)...
Cheers, Just never took any notice of it then, thinking about it, yes when you are on smart cruise and stopped when the car in front moves it comes up asking you to confirm its safe to move off, just one of those myrid of things I didnt really pay attention to ..

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2019 has LFA, with the SCC operation.
Interesting - I only have the 2018 and 2020 manuals, and I assumed that 2019=2018 in terms of facilities, but obviously there is an intermediate 2019 upgrade as well.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Can’t imagine why.It is just a useful safety aid.
I leave them all on. I rarely hear the lane departure alert these days, so I guess it's 'improved' my driving (though actually I have the SCC on most of the time). The odd nudges, etc, on the wheel I am used to and I like to have something that may just stop me wandering off track and I've sussed the places where I know I'll need to use a firm hand to keep it in check.

But they are aids only. It worries me that people are saying "it nearly drove me off the road" or suchlike because it implies that despite their saying they would rather drive the car themselves they aren't actually monitoring these systems when they are engaged.

I'm still puzzled at the sometimes inconsistent acquisition of lane markings though. There are times it captures both sides when even I'm thinking the boundaries are vague (eg. kerb to the left, worn dashed line to the right), but then another time the road has clear white markings both sides and it doesn't seem to see either. No obvious reason like heading directly into the sun or suchlike. Strange.

·
Registered
Kona 64KW SE Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Kona "driving assistance" features are quite complex to understand, especially as (in the later cars) there are two almost completely separate systems which can "nudge" the steering wheel. The manual is OK, but still leaves a lot of questions unanswered and could be massively improved - like much of the rest manual which seems to favour quantity of words over quality of information IMO. From what I can see comparing online pre-2020 and my own post-2020 manuals, the pre- and post-2020 cars have some important differences in the systems available, the names used to describe them, the features available, and when they are active.
  • Pre-2020 cars have menu options for LDW and Standard LKA, and may (depending upon equipment level) have Active LKA, with a physical "disable" button by the driver's right knee
  • Post-2020 with LKA "Type A" have menu options for LDW, Standard LKA and Active LKA modes, as per the pre-2020 cars
  • Post-2020 with LKA "Type B" have menu options for LDW and LKA modes with the physical "disable" button, and a separate LFA "on/off" menu option which is linked to the Smart Cruise Control and is NOT disabled by the LDW/LKA physical button.
Lots of acronyms, so...
  • LDW (Lane Departure Warning). Bleeps-only. Can be temporarily disabled using the button near the driver's right knee, but will turn back on next time the car is "started".
  • Standard LKA (Lane Keep Assist - pre-2020, post-2020 "Type A" only). Bleeps and nudges. Can be temporarily disabled using the button near the driver's right knee, but will turn back on next time the car is "started". Standard LKA is only enabled above 37mph - which is especially annoying on twisty country roads with 40mph limits as the system is constantly turning itself on and off as you slow down for bends.
  • Active LKA (pre-2020 if equipped and post-2020 "Type A" only). Actively steers the car to keep in the centre of the lane. Can be temporarily disabled using the button near the driver's right knee, but will turn back on next time the car is "started". Active LKA is only enabled above 37mph, as with Standard LKA.
  • LKA (post-2020 "Type B" only). A new name for "Standard LKA" above.
  • LFA (Lane Follow Assist - post-2020 "Type B" only). Actively steers the car to keep in the centre of the lane, similar to "Active LKA" above, however, critically, once enabled, this system is always active when the Smart Cruise Control (SCC) is active and the vehicle speed is above 37mph, even if the rest of the LKA/LDW system is turned off. There is no quick and easy way to disable LFA without going back deep into the menus. Whilst LFA is great on motorways, dual carriageways and some A-roads, I suggest you are very careful when using SCC on B-roads and country lanes, especially those with edge markings but no centre line as you can find the car quite suddenly steers to the middle of the road especially if you get close to the edge - not great if there's a car coming the other way! Having had a couple of "moments", I now never use the SCC cruise control other than on major roads - I use the speed limiter instead, which keeps the LFA system off.
My post-2020 "Type B" car also seems to revert to LKA randomly even though I select LDW mode, which can also be "interesting" on narrow roads, hence I usually turn it off completely each time I "start" the car. From what I have read here, many drivers do the same, and habitually turn LKA off whenever they drive as it is intrusive and, IMO, potentially dangerous on narrow 40mph country lines (which is a lot of my driving).
Wow interesting and comprehensive info. I have just taken delivery of a new SE premium, how do I know if it type a or B?

·
Registered
18 Posts
All that info is taken from the owners handbooks, summarising about 50 pages into one! Remember what I said about quantity of words vs quality of info...?!

The only way I've found to determine Type A or B is to try each and see which matches your car. Do keep in mind that many systems in the car have A/B options, and each may be different, so a Type B LKA doesn't necessarily mean you have a Type B headlight system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts