Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought a Nissan Leaf 30kwh (2016) and thought I'd sign up with Nissan to use the app...

I can't even sign up! Their guidance either points to broken links or is unhelpfully redirecting me back to the app, where nothing happens but the login screen when you press 'sign up'.

I did manage to register with Nissan using the Nissan Connect app but not the Nissan Connect EV one.. the logins seem to be two different systems?

Anyway, long story short: how the heck do you even sign up to them?

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
779 Posts
Disclaimer, I am no expert on setting up the APP, there will be others on this site more knowledgable than me that may be able to offer better advice.

This is what I do know, you have to go onto “you+Nissan” web site you have to use your email address and a strong pass word of your choice, to register on the site.

Once you are in the site you will need to register your vehicle vin number, easy if it is a brand new vehicle. Problem if the vin number has already been registered, you than have to go to Nissan customer services for them to do this for you.

Once this has been set up, you then down load the APP, you then use the same email address and password to register the APP. You have to sit in the car to set the APP up through the cars tele unit, the APP will take you through this step by step.

Hope this helps, as it worked for me, as I say there are others on here better at this than me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had this for the last 7 days after buying my Leaf and I ended up contacting customer services to sort it out.

In my case they hadn't removed the old owner of the car, despite me buying the car from a Nissan dealership so that was the first thing i needed to get fixed. It involved emailing a sales invoice and my insurance schedule to them to prove the car was mine.....even though THEY sold it me!

That took a couple of days, then when it came to register with Carwings it was a whole new set of problems. I signed up to you+nissan and when i added my vehicle it was just a greyed out image of a leaf so i had to call customer services again and they went through what i needed to do whilst i was still on the phone and my laptop.

This took a few minutes and then when i clicked 'connect' to carwings on that page it didnt load up the carwings registration page, it loaded up Nissan.co.uk, so i had to clear the cache on my internet browser and then try again, it worked that time. Carwings is very time consuming to set up, but eventuall i got there. I mean im tech-savvy and i still needed the help of their customer services who thankfully were brilliant on the phone. When you call 0330 123 1231 press option 2 and then option 3 and you'll get straight through, no waiting. But surely something so simple shouldn't be so difficult.

This is the email i had off them:

Thank you for contacting Nissan Customer Services.

I can confirm that the previous owner has been detached from the vehicle in our system. Please review the below:

You won't be able to log into the app until you complete steps 1-4. Please let me know the outcome.

If you aren't able to complete a step, please review section 5 for information we will need from you.

(1) Log into You+Nissan account and go to Carwings page:

? Go to You+Nissan Nissan website: Sign in | You+Nissan customer portal
? Enter email address and You+Nissan password
? Click "Sign In" (not "Sign up")
? Click button to view your vehicle's profile page
? Scroll down and click "Connect" button
? Please be aware that "Connect" button may take some time to appear
? New tab will open in browser for Carwings website

(2) Create Carwings account:

? When completing details requested on each page to register for a Carwings account, please be aware that:
? Carwings password only accepts numbers and letters and is case sensitive
? "Carwings Login" field is used as User ID for app and onboard activation
? Please be aware that it is case sensitive
? Terms and conditions must be accepted to set up a Carwings account
? On page that asks for a "Vehicle Display Name", this can be anything you want (but only accepts letters and/or numbers)
? When Carwings account is created, page loads that says "Congratulations!"

(3) Complete onboard activation:

? Wait for email confirming Carwings account has been activated
? If no such email is received after an hour, ask us to check if SIM card is activated
? Once email received or SIM card confirmed to be activated, then go to vehicle
? Turn on navigation system and push "Zero Emission" button
? Touch "Carwings"
? Touch "Carwings Settings"
? Touch "Security Settings"
? Touch "User ID", enter User ID, and touch "OK"
? User ID is Carwings Login
? Remember User ID is case sensitive
? Touch "Password", enter password, and touch "OK"
? Password is also case sensitive
? Please also be aware that it is possible to have one password for You+Nissan account and a different password for Carwings account
? Touch "Activate Security Settings", confirm, and touch "Yes"
? Some useful tips to complete the ownership check successfully are below:
? When ignition is turned on, disclaimer that appears must be accepted for this process to work and also for connected services to work
? Check car icon in top right corner of navigation system
? Car icon must be white with signals coming out (indicates vehicle has network coverage) in order for process to work
? If car icon is grey, vehicle in an area with no signal or insufficient network coverage
? Drive around until car icon is white with signals coming out
? If car icon grey with a line, strike, or axe through the it, TCU (Telematics Control Unit) is not activated
? Note if TCU not activated, vehicle cannot communicate to data centre
? If the car icon is this one, contact your local Nissan dealership for a procedure called a “TCU Reset” to activate TCU

(4) Make sure correct app downloaded:

? If not already done, download NissanConnect EV app on an iPhone or Android smartphone
? Please note that the NissanConnect Services app is for a different navigation system than the one fitted in your vehicle
? Log into app using Carwings Login (not your email address) and Carwings password (not the You+Nissan password)

(5) Lastly, if you can’t complete a step or get an error message, please reply to this email and provide:

• Image of the step or error message that appears
• If it occurs on website, make sure web address visible
• If it appears on navigation system, make sure full screen is visible
• If error message occurs, date/time last seen
• Description of any troubleshooting done

Please let me know the outcome.

Best Regards,

[logo]
Sara
Customer Services
Nissan Motor (GB) Limited
Opening Hours Mon-Fri: 08:00 to 20:00, Sat: 08:00 to 14:00
Telephone: 0330 123 1231

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Hi all, just bought a Nissan Leaf 30kwh (2016) and thought I'd sign up with Nissan to use the app...

I can't even sign up! Their guidance either points to broken links or is unhelpfully redirecting me back to the app, where nothing happens but the login screen when you press 'sign up'.

I did manage to register with Nissan using the Nissan Connect app but not the Nissan Connect EV one.. the logins seem to be two different systems?

Anyway, long story short: how the heck do you even sign up to them?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've had this for the last 7 days after buying my Leaf and I ended up contacting customer services to sort it out.

In my case they hadn't removed the old owner of the car, despite me buying the car from a Nissan dealership so that was the first thing i needed to get fixed. It involved emailing a sales invoice and my insurance schedule to them to prove the car was mine.....even though THEY sold it me!

That took a couple of days, then when it came to register with Carwings it was a whole new set of problems. I signed up to you+nissan and when i added my vehicle it was just a greyed out image of a leaf so i had to call customer services again and they went through what i needed to do whilst i was still on the phone and my laptop.

This took a few minutes and then when i clicked 'connect' to carwings on that page it didnt load up the carwings registration page, it loaded up Nissan.co.uk, so i had to clear the cache on my internet browser and then try again, it worked that time. Carwings is very time consuming to set up, but eventuall i got there. I mean im tech-savvy and i still needed the help of their customer services who thankfully were brilliant on the phone. When you call 0330 123 1231 press option 2 and then option 3 and you'll get straight through, no waiting. But surely something so simple shouldn't be so difficult.

This is the email i had off them:

Thank you for contacting Nissan Customer Services.

I can confirm that the previous owner has been detached from the vehicle in our system. Please review the below:

You won't be able to log into the app until you complete steps 1-4. Please let me know the outcome.

If you aren't able to complete a step, please review section 5 for information we will need from you.

(1) Log into You+Nissan account and go to Carwings page:

? Go to You+Nissan Nissan website: Sign in | You+Nissan customer portal
? Enter email address and You+Nissan password
? Click "Sign In" (not "Sign up")
? Click button to view your vehicle's profile page
? Scroll down and click "Connect" button
? Please be aware that "Connect" button may take some time to appear
? New tab will open in browser for Carwings website

(2) Create Carwings account:

? When completing details requested on each page to register for a Carwings account, please be aware that:
? Carwings password only accepts numbers and letters and is case sensitive
? "Carwings Login" field is used as User ID for app and onboard activation
? Please be aware that it is case sensitive
? Terms and conditions must be accepted to set up a Carwings account
? On page that asks for a "Vehicle Display Name", this can be anything you want (but only accepts letters and/or numbers)
? When Carwings account is created, page loads that says "Congratulations!"

(3) Complete onboard activation:

? Wait for email confirming Carwings account has been activated
? If no such email is received after an hour, ask us to check if SIM card is activated
? Once email received or SIM card confirmed to be activated, then go to vehicle
? Turn on navigation system and push "Zero Emission" button
? Touch "Carwings"
? Touch "Carwings Settings"
? Touch "Security Settings"
? Touch "User ID", enter User ID, and touch "OK"
? User ID is Carwings Login
? Remember User ID is case sensitive
? Touch "Password", enter password, and touch "OK"
? Password is also case sensitive
? Please also be aware that it is possible to have one password for You+Nissan account and a different password for Carwings account
? Touch "Activate Security Settings", confirm, and touch "Yes"
? Some useful tips to complete the ownership check successfully are below:
? When ignition is turned on, disclaimer that appears must be accepted for this process to work and also for connected services to work
? Check car icon in top right corner of navigation system
? Car icon must be white with signals coming out (indicates vehicle has network coverage) in order for process to work
? If car icon is grey, vehicle in an area with no signal or insufficient network coverage
? Drive around until car icon is white with signals coming out
? If car icon grey with a line, strike, or axe through the it, TCU (Telematics Control Unit) is not activated
? Note if TCU not activated, vehicle cannot communicate to data centre
? If the car icon is this one, contact your local Nissan dealership for a procedure called a “TCU Reset” to activate TCU

(4) Make sure correct app downloaded:

? If not already done, download NissanConnect EV app on an iPhone or Android smartphone
? Please note that the NissanConnect Services app is for a different navigation system than the one fitted in your vehicle
? Log into app using Carwings Login (not your email address) and Carwings password (not the You+Nissan password)

(5) Lastly, if you can’t complete a step or get an error message, please reply to this email and provide:

• Image of the step or error message that appears
• If it occurs on website, make sure web address visible
• If it appears on navigation system, make sure full screen is visible
• If error message occurs, date/time last seen
• Description of any troubleshooting done

Please let me know the outcome.

Best Regards,

[logo]
Sara
Customer Services
Nissan Motor (GB) Limited
Opening Hours Mon-Fri: 08:00 to 20:00, Sat: 08:00 to 14:00
Telephone: 0330 123 1231
So simple and nice process ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your help everyone. That's why I love this place :D

Not sure about the 60 miles at nearly 90% charge though :'(

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Glad you got the app sorted but that range estimate for a 30kWh is pretty terrible.

Mine is sitting at 62% charge at the moment (waiting for the charge timer to kick in in the middle of the night) and is claiming 65 miles range, and that's a pretty true estimate of what I can get from 62%.

So either you drive with a lead foot (as the estimated range is based on the consumption of recent driving) or you have a lot of battery degradation.

What is your last 30 miles or so of driving like ? City ? Combined ? Fast motorway driving ?

If you're driving conservatively and still getting range that poor you might want to invest in getting Leafspy working to check the battery state of health and also whether the car needs the battery management system firmware update. (I think you need Leafspy Pro to check the firmware versions)

Do you have all 12 battery state of health bars on the far right side ? (The narrow bars)

PS does anyone know how to rename your Leaf in the app ? (The name at the top) Nissan added the car to my account for me as it was still on the previous owners account. That's the name they gave it, and I can't find a way to change it...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comparison Simon. I just picked up this car from a dealer in MK, so maybe managed 20miles so far :)

I think that's 9 bars on the battery health bar?

Car has done 46k miles... not sure how badly it has been driven.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Thanks for the comparison Simon. I just picked up this car from a dealer in MK, so maybe managed 20miles so far :)

I think that's 9 bars on the battery health bar?

Car has done 46k miles... not sure how badly it has been driven.
Yes, the 9 bars on the right is the battery health. I believe 9 bars is approximately 66-72% State of Health, which is really bad, frankly, for a 4 year old car at 46k miles. Probably the worst I've heard about in a UK climate where it never gets really hot.

Although mine is lower mileage - about 27k miles now it is also a 2016 model and has 12 bars and a 91.5% state of health. So that's why your range is so poor. I would be expecting something in the 85-90% range for a car of your age and mileage based on reports from other owners.

If it was a Nissan dealer was a battery report provided or any information about the battery health ? It's bordering on a state of health were a battery repair under warranty would be granted.

There are three possibilities why its so bad:

1) All cells genuinely are bad - perhaps the car has been abused in some way such as being left at 100% charge all the time. In that case if the battery is bad enough it should be covered under the battery warranty as I think that kicks in around 70% SoH. Note: the battery warranty doesn't guarantee you would get a brand new battery with a near new SoH, only that you will get one better than the warranty cut off SoH. (In other words, probably a refurbished one)

2) There are one or two faulty cells - this can drag the usable capacity of the entire pack down as a weak cell becomes the weakest link in the chain. In this case a cell replacement under warranty would be in order.

3) The battery is not as bad as it seems and it needs a firmware update. Early 30kWh Leaf's came with buggy BMS firmware which dramatically underestimated the capacity of the battery as it aged making it seem like it was degrading rapidly. A firmware update addresses this and usually results in a big increase in reported SoH and usable capacity/range.

If you have only just bought the car and its from a Nissan dealer I would be going back to them to ask why the battery is in such bad condition and why this hasn't been rectified under warranty. (Either firmware update or battery replacement)

If it's an independent dealer I'm not sure what your legal situation would be and whether you could reject the car as not fit for purpose. It would probably depend on whether you were made aware of a severely degraded battery and accepted this as part of the purchase or whether you were unaware of it.

If you want to investigate further yourself (although be careful not to run down your rejection time) you will need Leafspy Pro and a compatible OBD-II dongle.

This will let you independently determine the following pertinent facts:

1) Whether the BMS is running a known bad firmware version that is underestimating the SoH. If it is you have a good chance of "restoring" a lot of lost range and capacity with the firmware update. This would be done by a Nissan dealer. If it already has an up to date or unaffected firmware version the battery is genuinely bad.

2) What the precise SoH is - more accurate than the bars on the dash which are only approximate

3) Whether there are some obvious individual weak cells pulling the rest of the pack down such that swapping a couple of cells is likely to fix it, or whether the whole pack is degraded.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I wouldn't be happy with a 4 year old moderate mileage car with such severe reported battery degradation, and I would take action immediately if you have only just bought it. When I was shopping for a Leaf a high battery SoH was at the top of my priority list. Hopefully it just needs the firmware update.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Simon, that's really helpful! I have emailed the dealer and ask them to let me know. I also stressed I am not happy with this and we'll see by tomorrow what they come back with. In the worst case I think I should be able to return it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
DMG arranged a Nissan dealer (GH) to check the battery tomorrow...
Meanwhile my ODBII reader arrived:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found something interesting in this thread: Leaf Spy Pro.. GIDS%, battery %, kWh remaining (SoC vs GID)

My SoC is 76.6% vs GID at 56.3%, if I understand correctly (and I may not!), then there is a big discrepancy between what the above thread suggests is 'inaccessible' capacity?

So my conclusion is that there are faulty cells in the pack.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This graph shows the voltages of all 96 cells (according to the Leaf Spy Pro manual I found). Looks like there are some cells that are quite low?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
State of Health is 69% - consistent with the 9 bars on the display and very bad for the age and mileage of the car. Cell balance (22mV at 76% SoC) doesn't actually look too bad, so I doubt you have any individual faulty cells.

You need to check the firmware version of the BMS. To do this go into Settings, tick Enable Service screen then press back, then press Read ECU versions. You probably want your device in portrait mode for this. Then press the Read ECU versions button and wait while it queries the car.

The line you're interested in is one near the bottom which says HV BATTERY. Mine for example is firmware 4NR4C. The last two characters are the firmware revision - 4C in my case. Let us know what version yours reports.

This article goes into some detail about the firmware bug and which versions are good and which are bad:

If it turns out your car has an affected firmware version for which an update is available, judging by the graph in that article the firmware update should increase the reported SoH from 69% to about 87%, which would be all 12 health bars. (But only just as the first bar is lost at about 85%)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Simon, thank you! That’s very interesting to know.

My FW is:
4NR4A 0605 HV BATTERY 230UK11646000189

Full read:
4NR0A 3199 BRAKE 470Y115Z080045

3NM0C 0240 VSP

4NC1B 5834 ABS

3NF0A A605 EPS 491G404034

XXXXX 0000 METER

3NM2C 0430 HVAC 270 0DX2

4NR0A 0563 BCM

4DA5A 6156 TCU B

4NR5B 0000 MULTI AV

4NM3A 0556 IPDM E/R

3NL0A 0000 AIR BAG

5ZE0A 0A20 AVM

3NF0B 3144 MOTOR CONTROL 22021162B10136H1

4NR1B 1102 CHARGER 23511161812101

3NG2A 5250 EV/HEV

4NR4A 0605 HV BATTERY 230UK11646000189

3NF0B 0301 SHIFT 34022163150019

3NH0B 0064 AVM

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Yours is 4NR4A which is a known bad firmware version which will under report the SoH. Ask Nissan to update the LBC (Lithium Battery Controller) firmware. They should be able to do that at no cost, especially if they just sold you the car with the firmware being out of date and the car having such a poor reported SoH.

After the update you should have 4NR4C same as mine and reported SoH should increase to approx 87% and range should increase by the same ratio. This is probably par for the course for the mileage of the car, although perhaps still slightly on the low side. If they don't know what you're talking about with the firmware update or seem reluctant to help I'd point them at the flip the fleet article I linked to. (There are other flipthefleet articles relating to Leaf 30 battery firmware as well)

Also have a quick browse through the Battery Health thread at The battery health thread!

There's hundreds of posts there so too many to read them all but have a skim through the last 5-10 pages as there are other people in there who have had their LBC firmware upgraded by Nissan. You might also want to edit the subject of this thread to include something like "and low battery SoH" (which I think you can do by editing the subject of the very first post ?) as you'll get a lot more eyes on this thread from people with an interest in SoH as most people will skip over reading any thread about the Nissan connect app. :ROFLMAO: (Which is probably why it's only me replying about the battery firmware issue)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Amazing, thanks pal 😃

Updated the thread’s title now. Looking forward to what Glyn H say tomorrow and now well equipped to deal with them!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow. Just got feedback from Nissan in Milton Keynes (Glyn H) and they say it's all OK and I have the latest updates. There are no updates for the battery and the performance/charge levels are what they'd expect :'(

Should I return the car and look for another? I paid ~£10k for a four year old Leaf Tekna with small charger and a range well below 100miles.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Wow. Just got feedback from Nissan in Milton Keynes (Glyn H) and they say it's all OK and I have the latest updates. There are no updates for the battery and the performance/charge levels are what they'd expect :'(

Should I return the car and look for another? I paid ~£10k for a four year old Leaf Tekna with small charger and a range well below 100miles.
Wow, what a disappointing outcome. Looks like they can't bother their arse to help you. 9 bars battery health after 45k miles and 4 years is definitely not normal.

Any other dealers within range of you you could try or perhaps contact Nissan head office ?

The price is unusually good for the age and mileage (I paid quite a bit more for mine at the same age albeit half the mileage and in pristine condition with good battery health) but the range regardless of whether it's due to out of date firmware or a genuinely faulty battery is really poor IMHO.

If range is important to you I'd be inclined to reject the car and look for another one, even though that's a lot of hassle to go through. Let them know the poor battery health and their unwillingness to investigate the firmware update properly is why you're rejecting it. At least this time you're equipped with Leafspy and know what to look for.

£10k is cheaper than average for 4 years and 45k miles for a 30kWh Tekna I think so you might end up paying a bit more for one with good battery health unless you're willing to drop to an Acenta spec. The Tekna is nice but I sometimes wish I'd got an Acenta because the larger lower profile tyres don't ride as well and they're way more expensive with less tyres to choose from. (I'm actually considering getting a set of Acenta wheels for mine for summer use as I've put all season tyres on the Tekna wheels whose ride quality I'm not happy with and don't want to suffer through for 12 months of the year)

Anyone else reading have any opinions on Axel's situation ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Leaf shows 64miles but SpyPro shows 37.9miles range (with 5% reserve)?! Not sure I am doing this right.

That's at 2.5mi/kWh average economy (used to get 3.8 in my i3... so may need to learn how to drive this car better).

The dealer told me that everything is fine but advised me to drive as much as possible and come back in a week to read it again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts