Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,181 Posts
Liability, I expect.

If 'they' fitted the new car with that stuff then that's their look out.

It may also be that there used to be a low-conductivity 'green' before they decided it needed its own colour coding. So someone might have a low-conductivity green, but if they swap with blue then it'll end up brown (or whatever) because you won't get all the coolant out in a regular change, it'll have to be a flush change.

Once it is brown, no-one will know anything and wonder what the hell is in there.

So many possible reasons, why are you even asking? See your dealer!.... Make it their responsibility.

·
Registered
503 Posts
There’s another thread on this. The green has a swap interval of 100-120000 miles and the newer blue stuff 3-4 years at a cost of several £hundred.

it’s the EV cambelt replacement if you look at the service costs....

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
548 Posts
Talking of the blue coolant, I just checked my 5 day old E Niro tonight and see that the level is about 1/2 Cm below the minimum marker. I assume it might have burped out an airlock and so now needs topping off. Anyone else experienced this? I expect I need to go back for a top up soon? The car was on the level road and had just been driven for a couple of hours or so....

Peter

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can't believe it means low thermal conductivity, can it mean electrical conductivity?

Ahh, the coolant is made with de-ionized water, used when in contact with electronics or (as I assume in our case), if a leak occurs, then it's better to be non-conductive, or as much as possible.

Greg

·
Registered
548 Posts
Of course it must mean low electrical conductivity. To have a low thermal conductivity property in a coolant fluid would be a technical nonsense.

Why it needs this special and apparently very expensive stuff I have no idea. Surely the coolant channels are electrically insulated from the HV stuff? Presumably they must have had some leakage issues on earlier cars that needed addressing? It would be interesting to learn the truth behind this expensive running change anyway.

Peter

·
30,181 Posts
I can't believe it means low thermal conductivity, can it mean electrical conductivity?

Ahh, the coolant is made with de-ionized water, used when in contact with electronics or (as I assume in our case), if a leak occurs, then it's better to be non-conductive, or as much as possible.

Greg
It doesn't mean either. It's just convoluted grammar.

It is saying; 'where the electronics has a [thermal] power density that is too high to use air cooling, then use liquid cooling'.

·
Registered
503 Posts
So we have coolant that’s become the EV equivalent of HP printer ink (except the printer isn’t a loss leader) - yes sir you need a coolant change - just think of it as the BEV equivalent of a timing belt swap. That will be £450.

·
Registered
548 Posts
So we have coolant that’s become the EV equivalent of HP printer ink (except the printer isn’t a loss leader) - yes sir you need a coolant change - just think of it as the BEV equivalent of a timing belt swap. That will be £450.
Is that really how much the 3rd service will cost? If so I think they will get a lot of very angry customers come that event time. Including me!! It seems unlikely as the 3y inclusive pre paid service plan is listed as £479 iirc.

Peter

·
Banned
0 Posts
Speaking of servicing costs. I thought I had a good deal in getting a 5 year service deal for £319. Turns out they want me to service the car every 10k miles or 9 months whichever comes sooner. So I actually get a 4 year service for £319. Other than the inconvenience of taking it in every 9 months I guess 4 years at £319 is still better than 3 years at £479

·
Registered
358 Posts
did you read the link? It gives the reason, an extra bit of safety in case of a leak in the battery cooling circuit.

It is saying; 'where the electronics has a [thermal] power density that is too high to use air cooling, then use liquid cooling'.

·
30,181 Posts
did you read the link? It gives the reason, an extra bit of safety in case of a leak in the battery cooling circuit.
No, I was referring to the text in the clip.

What were you referring to? If you want people to guess, then I'll leave you to it.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
All modern coolant is based on de-ionized water. It will be in the additives that it may differ.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Huh? You quoted my post, which asked if low-conductivity meant thermal or electrical... and you said it does not mean either...

Your post says "It doesn't mean either" -- quoted below... so this is why I said HUH? We all realize it is liquid, and one difference does indicate de-ionized water, not that this is the only difference.

It does INDEED mean low electrical conductivity... did you read the link? You have to scroll down a bit, to read the reason for low electrical conductivity, which I stated.

·
30,181 Posts
Huh? You quoted my post, which asked if low-conductivity meant thermal or electrical... and you said it does not mean either...

Your post says "It doesn't mean either" -- quoted below... so this is why I said HUH? We all realize it is liquid, and one difference does indicate de-ionized water, not that this is the only difference.

It does INDEED mean low electrical conductivity... did you read the link? You have to scroll down a bit, to read the reason for low electrical conductivity, which I stated.
Huh? to you back.

You quoted

"Liquid cooling, which can be achieved using indirect or direct means, is utilized in electronics applications having thermal power densities that may exceed safe dissipation through air cooling. "

and I explained that didn't mean what you appeared to say it meant, then you go tell me what you said relates to something else in the link.

Well, try quoting what you are referring to!!

End.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think you need to check your eyes.... read post #5, no mention of what you say at all, my entire post is:

Nowhere do I say what you just posted what I said.

I gather you did not read the link, but just the small amount of text that the forum grabs when you post a link.... READ THE LINK.... you click on it... sheesh...

I'm certainly not going to copy all the text in the link... then people complain that it's not legitimate, and it's not polite to copy a bunch of text when the link takes you to the page with a full explanation... SMFH

Greg

p.s. that link does give some good data for anyone with the patience to click it and read it

·
30,181 Posts
I think you need to check your eyes.... read post #5, no mention of what you say at all, my entire post is:

Nowhere do I say what you just posted what I said.
Look again at your post;-

Bored with this, whatever it is.

END.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's you who cannot see....

In the linked page, if you had the patience to read just about 2 inches further down:

The electrical conductivity of the liquid coolant becomes important in a direct cooling application because of the contact between the coolant and the electronics [3]. However, in indirect cooling applications the electrical conductivity can be important if there are leaks and/or spillage of the fluids onto the electronics.

Which I stated... you are indeed impatient, I referenced this and you are still unable to be patient enough to read the part that was interesting.

To the rest of the crew, having a low-conductivity fluid in the indirect application we have (the batteries and their electric connections are not in direct contact, thus indirect cooling) I suppose the choice of a low-conductivity fluid is just a bit more safety margin.

Interesting that the manual states you might have either fluid. I wonder if it could be different countries or states? Mine is blue and about 1/4" below the min line, and the car has 1,700 miles.... I did not check the fluids when I got the car, and my pre-delivery checklist, the whole 2 pages, was blank.

Greg

·
Registered
358 Posts
So in the US, we get either the green or blue coolant for the battery system. Mine is the blue, which is the low-conductivity stuff. You will see when you research the blue stuff has different ingredients. I just got the Zerex blue stuff, which says it is for "Asian Vehicles" and I researched enough to see it was the right stuff.

My car has 1,700 miles and is 1/4" below the min mark. I got the stuff from Amazon delivered just a few minutes ago so will bring it to the midway point, and put a piece of tape to see if it varies or drops.

It's the blue one on this page, and you can get the part number there to validate when you order:

Several other people make it, but it was easiest to connect this one to the Kia requirements.

Greg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts