Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of the Hyundai ones are switchable to 8A/6A are there any other brands that are both reputable and can do this?

Both my old leaf and my current MG came with 3pin chargers that draw 10A constantly and whilst I charge at home on a proper EVSE it would be handy to have when on holiday and I'd prefer to charge at 1KW and lower the risk of heating the socket/wiring.

· Registered
MG5
1,556 Posts
I picked up a Kia unit that can do 6A, 8A and 10A.
You may get one from ebay or Amazon but check the reviews first.

· Registered
598 Posts
I know some of the Hyundai ones are switchable to 8A/6A are there any other brands that are both reputable and can do this?

Both my old leaf and my current MG came with 3pin chargers that draw 10A constantly and whilst I charge at home on a proper EVSE it would be handy to have when on holiday and I'd prefer to charge at 1KW and lower the risk of heating the socket/wiring.
I don't think you can (in general) go as low as 1kW - the comms protocol between EVSE and car allows a minimum advertised current of 6A.

· Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,751 Posts
Your risk of overheating at 6A is hugely lower than at 10A. Remember power dissipated in a bad connection (assuming it's pure V/I resistance) is I²R so 6A is dissipating only 36% of the power at 10A.
No need to go lower than that.

· Registered
6,123 Posts

· Registered
6,123 Posts
6A minimum allowable current generally shows 1.4 kW when charging my Ioniq 38 at home. But if you were to use an American supply of 110V AC, that 6A would give you about 660W of charging. Whether you can dynamically reduce the voltage fed into a granny EVSE from 240V down to 110V on the fly is an experiment I have yet to try. But I might have the kit to do so! :)

· Registered
MG4 Trophy
47 Posts

Which MG? MG4 can be set to 6A via the infotainment menu.

· Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
1,173 Posts
Which MG? MG4 can be set to 6A via the infotainment menu.
As can my Golf GTE. Selectable from 5 amp (actually 6amp), 10amp, 13amp and "max" (16 amp).

Used it to good effect with the granny charger at the works caravan. Most of the time I wouldn't even bother taking the charger though and I'll just use dino juice. :)

· Registered
2020 Ioniq PHEV
71 Posts

I have been using this one https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9481871?clickSR=slp:term:ev charger:15:26:1
to charge my PHEV for a year now without issue. I leave it set to 6A.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts