Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been to have a quick look at a 64 plate 24kWh leaf, it's an ex mobility with only 23000 miles on the clock. I was curious to see how the battery was, running Leafspy it showed it had 86.93 SOH (11 bars on the dash). The guy selling it said it had probably not been used much in the last few months.

I was just wondering if with use and a few charges, is the battery likely to recover a little and maybe regain the lost bar, or is it more likely that the damage (due to possible little use) already been done?

Attachments

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,246 Posts
You'll get the health up a little with regular use, and a few battery charge/discharge cycles. Rapid charges will artificially inflate the health a little too, but in the end it won't get much better than you see, and of course will drop lower than what it is right now over time.

If you buy a LEAF and are going especially for a earlier 24kWh model you have to be realistic. Only get it if your daily commute is well within the range it can do now as it will definitely continue to degrade in the future no matter how you treat it really. Its just a simple fact with the LEAF.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,829 Posts
As above. The LEAFSpy shows a battery with quite a bit of shunting going on for the SOC. If you are going to buy it get views at below 20% and above 90%.
FWIW you will never get the lost bar back unless Nissan reset it for you which they don't unless they repair or replace the traction battery.
Edit. My Wife's car has similar battery stats to that and will happily do 70+ miles (60 in cold weather with the heater etc on). Do not trust the guess-o-meter, it is well named, you need to drive it and record the mileage achieved on the trip or ideally GPS. What is your requirements for range?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only do 20-30 miles a day, but this will be my only car, so there will be times when I need to do an 80 mile trip and potentially longer for holidays etc.. was curious to see what a relatively low mileage battery was like (and the car was only 8k). I guess it's more how the battery has been treated as much as mileage with the leaf. Think I'm going to end up going for the 30kWh version with a healthier battery and longer range.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,246 Posts
I only do 20-30 miles a day, but this will be my only car, so there will be times when I need to do an 80 mile trip and potentially longer for holidays etc.. was curious to see what a relatively low mileage battery was like (and the car was only 8k). I guess it's more how the battery has been treated as much as mileage with the leaf. Think I'm going to end up going for the 30kWh version with a healthier battery and longer range.
What's the public charging infrastructure like in your area? If you're well covered for rapid chargers the 24kWh will be fine if you don't mind stopping to plug in and it's not a regular occurrence. With your 20-30 miles in the average day that's going to be possible for a long time to come with the car you've been looking at just now. Even going further afield for holidays is possible. Ecotricity chargers, despite their bad reputation are very reliable with Chademo which is what the LEAF uses.

I'll always recommend the 30kWh model where people can afford to stretch to it for the extra range, faster rapid charging and the like. But I wouldn't immediately write this car off if it is a good fit for your everyday needs and you don't mind plugging in for the occasional longer journey.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's the public charging infrastructure like in your area? If you're well covered for rapid chargers the 24kWh will be fine if you don't mind stopping to plug in and it's not a regular occurrence. With your 20-30 miles in the average day that's going to be possible for a long time to come with the car you've been looking at just now. Even going further afield for holidays is possible. Ecotricity chargers, despite their bad reputation are very reliable with Chademo which is what the LEAF uses.

I'll always recommend the 30kWh model where people can afford to stretch to it for the extra range, faster rapid charging and the like. But I wouldn't immediately write this car off if it is a good fit for your everyday needs and you don't mind plugging in for the occasional longer journey.
Thanks .. and herein lies my dilemma..!! ? Will I regret going for a 24kWh car, and is the extra capacity going to make a huge difference anyway.. public charging is quite good near me, there's a polar rapid and a fair few 7kWh (quite near Junc 26 M1) If I do go for a 24 then I'd prefer the Tekna (like the toys, seats etc) but if I stretch to a 30, then it would have to be the Acenta... Unless I wait a little longer...and hope the prices fall ?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,829 Posts
Thanks .. and herein lies my dilemma
You can argue yourself in circles on this one. A few questions:
  • How often will you need more than say 70 miles in a day?
  • When you do, how often will it be between 70 and 90 miles?
  • How often can you afford to hire a car using the cash difference between a 24 and a 30?
  • Going on holiday is an interesting one. Are you really going to drive a LEAF30 down say to Newquay in Cornwall from J26 M1? :unsure: Assuming that you get 1 mile per %, start at 100% and charge from 10% to 80% each time on a rapid that is 3 charges at around 40 minutes a time. At the same efficiency in a LEAF24 that is 4 rapid charges. Both suffer from overheating of the rear cells, but the 30 is much worse and you are likely to have to wait before charging on the 2nd and 3rd charges to reduce it. Neither journey will be much fun, but if you are determined it can be done in each. Where do you sit on this?
  • If you go for a lower spec you'll regret it everyday. The 17" wheels are unnecessary, the BOSE subwoofer worse, but with a small child the pleather seats are useful, and the LED headlights are a significant improvement if you drive in poorly or unlit areas. The heated seats/wheel are available sometimes in the Acenta. Do you need / want these differences for around £800 - £1,200?
  • Most LEAF30 are newer than most LEAF24 - there is therefore a benefit from that but not if it hasn't been looked after. Always go for the best battery that you can find rather than the newest or lowest mileage car. Is the reg number important to you?
The answer is personal so you only have to be honest with yourself!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can argue yourself in circles on this one. A few questions:
  • How often will you need more than say 70 miles in a day?
  • When you do, how often will it be between 70 and 90 miles?
  • How often can you afford to hire a car using the cash difference between a 24 and a 30?
  • Going on holiday is an interesting one. Are you really going to drive a LEAF30 down say to Newquay in Cornwall from J26 M1? :unsure: Assuming that you get 1 mile per %, start at 100% and charge from 10% to 80% each time on a rapid that is 3 charges at around 40 minutes a time. At the same efficiency in a LEAF24 that is 4 rapid charges. Both suffer from overheating of the rear cells, but the 30 is much worse and you are likely to have to wait before charging on the 2nd and 3rd charges to reduce it. Neither journey will be much fun, but if you are determined it can be done in each. Where do you sit on this?
  • If you go for a lower spec you'll regret it everyday. The 17" wheels are unnecessary, the BOSE subwoofer worse, but with a small child the pleather seats are useful, and the LED headlights are a significant improvement if you drive in poorly or unlit areas. The heated seats/wheel are available sometimes in the Acenta. Do you need / want these differences for around £800 - £1,200?
  • Most LEAF30 are newer than most LEAF24 - there is therefore a benefit from that but not if it hasn't been looked after. Always go for the best battery that you can find rather than the newest or lowest mileage car. Is the reg number important to you?
The answer is personal so you only have to be honest with yourself!
On a daily / weekly basis I'd average about 20-30 miles a day, I'd generally only need to go longer than 60 miles on school holidays for day trips out, so this would only be probably be once a month on average, so if I was going to Sheffield or Birmingham I could easily charge there or on the way back.

As for the longer journey, with this only being a once of maybe twice annual event, I could live with doing 2 or 3 chargers on the way (Going to Devon I'd probably stop once or twice in an ICE car anyway)

I'm a little confused as you say I'd regret going for a lower spec and then say the Tekna isn't worth the extra £800-£1200? I prefer the look of the Tekna wheels, and from sitting in both the cabin felt more 'premium' like the leather and the heated seats. Not sure if the 2016 update on the infotainment is worth it or not?

As far as reg, no, If I can find a 14 or 15 plate with a battery that's been looked after in good health (which I was hoping the one in this thread was going to be) then I'd be more than happy with that.

Interestingly I was recently offered by a Nissan dealer a 16 plate 30kWh Acenta with 35k that was being part-ex'd for a new Leaf for £10,250. Problem was they sent some awful pictures, it was black and gave me no clue of the condition, but those pictures put me off, it was filthy and just looked bad. Maybe worth another look? From what I've seen so far it looks like a car from a main dealer is the way to go, some are even offering £400 deposit contribution and 2 years servicing and warranty!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
I drive 50 miles round trip a day something my new leaf 30 manages easily. Dispute me having concerns about a duff battery,

I wanted tekna as I wanted the toys but not sure how much I use them. Heated steering wheel feels weird after 5 mins , but heated seats do safe heating the cabin. I actually love the Bose sub now I have altered the fader.

Leather I’m not sure how long it will last as it has holes in the seats and some of the stitching seems to go through these holes and looks like the leather in time may begin to tear.

It’s hard, for me I wanted a car in good condition, mine looks like new inside but I have battery concerns, but I needed a car sooner rather than later and the money it saves in petrol is astounding plus can always part exchange in a year or two. Although id rather keep my car if my battery does not pack in. However I also have half a decade left on my battery warranty!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,829 Posts
I'm a little confused as you say I'd regret going for a lower spec and then say the Tekna isn't worth the extra £800-£1200?
It's a personal thing. I couldn't now do without the heated seats/wheel and the LED headlights (a lot of my driving is in the dark along unlit roads but very limited opportunity for main beam). I have retired my 17" wheels in favour of 16" wheels partly for efficiency, partly for cheaper tyre, but mainly for the extra sidewall height as the number of potholes around here is appalling, and don't rate the BOSE but don't claim to be an audio expert.
The 2016 Infotainment update I'd go for - I have retrofitted DAB to mine but it is not as good.
The black one you mentioned sounds good, but it is an Acenta........

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
It's a personal thing. I couldn't now do without the heated seats/wheel and the LED headlights (a lot of my driving is in the dark along unlit roads but very limited opportunity for main beam). I have retired my 17" wheels in favour of 16" wheels partly for efficiency, partly for cheaper tyre, but mainly for the extra sidewall height as the number of potholes around here is appalling, and don't rate the BOSE but don't claim to be an audio expert.
The 2016 Infotainment update I'd go for - I have retrofitted DAB to mine but it is not as good.
completly agree, i forgot to say I wouldn’t be without the led’s driving in rural Sussex tonight I was shocked that my full beams only added a little more to my normal beam, led really shows everything and feels safer than any previous car.

I also don’t see much improvement with the Bose but I liked the extra base even when listening to classic fm!

dab is rubbish where I am! Seems to cut out a lot on channels like smooth 90’s or whatever it’s called but is fine on classic fm and radio 3.

My map system dispite being I think 2015 - 2016 seems amazingly up to date, and compared to the 2020 leaf I had as a Nissan loan car today she is much easier to follow on my 2017. Oh and I actually prefer the look of the 2017 leaf compared to the new body, although interestingly it drove exactly the same as my leaf! Literally no difference.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you have an older Tekna, what year / mileage is it and how's you battery been since you've owned it?

Also, what's the cost of the 16 vs 17" tyres?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you have an older Tekna, what year / mileage is it and how's you battery been since you've owned it?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
completly agree, i forgot to say I wouldn’t be without the led’s driving in rural Sussex tonight I was shocked that my full beams only added a little more to my normal beam, led really shows everything and feels safer than any previous car.

I also don’t see much improvement with the Bose but I liked the extra base even when listening to classic fm!

dab is rubbish where I am! Seems to cut out a lot on channels like smooth 90’s or whatever it’s called but is fine on classic fm and radio 3.

My map system dispite being I think 2015 - 2016 seems amazingly up to date, and compared to the 2020 leaf I had as a Nissan loan car today she is much easier to follow on my 2017. Oh and I actually prefer the look of the 2017 leaf compared to the new body, although interestingly it drove exactly the same as my leaf! Literally no difference.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I think the same, weirdly I prefer the Gen 1 Leaf to the new version, the new one just looks the same as the Micra / Pulsar etc... So far I've only driven one leaf, this was a 2017 24kWh Tekna, and it was nice, looked and felt brand new inside, really liked it. So looking at this older 2014 Acenta model didn't give me the same feeling, it felt a bit normal, hard to explain, the Tekna just felt nice.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Oh also before I got my leaf 30 I was imagining going on holiday in it to Devon and Cornwall too but now I have seen how the battery heats up with motorway and rapid charging I’m not sure I would! rapid charge slows as your battery gets hotter, and unless you have a patient, understanding partner it’s going to be a long journey with several stops that may be slower that 30 mins. I do intend to try Sussex to Derby just to see how it is but I have come to the conclusion my leaf 30 is limited to my local 60 mile drive, basically anything 1-2 counties away it’s easy but I’m not sure I’d want to go much further.

The loan long rang3 leaf I drove today, yes easy, but I cannot afford it yet,

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,829 Posts

'64 / 37,000 and the battery has got better so now normally 89% SoH, 19.1 kWh, 14 mV max difference between cells.
You can get Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance for £55 fitted in 16", £90 in 17". It is more the difference in sidewall height - it makes a huge difference to the behaviour over the rubbish roads near where I live, although I do admit to being tight! :rolleyes: I tend to do the same on most of my cars, for example previously a 530D BMW where the 17" downgrade from 18" transformed the handling of the car from fidgety to amazingly chuckable for such a big car in terms of handling yet much more comfortable in terms of ride and no damaged wheels over 50,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts