Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New entry spec 62kWh clearly aimed at ID3 and PCP prices likely to be lower than VW - we will see

Reactions: Jez48

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given its 7k cheaper yet only has 25 miles less range on WLTP and a 0-60 only a little slower I think the MG5 is a better buy, unless you really want an auto drive propilot type feature
Most people finance so list prices are only one factor, PCP rates are very dependent on GFV and interest rates. Lease rates seem to be just black magic!

It it is good there is choice and everyone will value different aspects of car ownership differently. Despite launching a competent EV, some people don't like the MG low-cost market segment and will pay more for a VW of BMW EV for example. Others will value the known reliability of Nissan or Honda.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Given "rapid gate" along with no surport for CCS rapid chargers I find the long range Leaf a hard car to understand as few people need the long range other then people who need to often drive long distances and hence do lots of rapid charging.

(In the old days when people commuted to work, it may have made sence for someone who's commute was a little long for the 40kwh in winter.)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
May be a good option if leasing is cheap as Chademo is going to be around for a few more years yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well given that the N-Tec was always a limited editiion, I take it an N-Connecta is its logical longer term successor...
I take it as a positive sign that there will be an N-Connecta in the 62 line-up, that it's here to stay, confidence from Nissan in the longer term.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Given "rapid gate" along with no surport for CCS rapid chargers I find the long range Leaf a hard car to understand as few people need the long range other then people who need to often drive long distances and hence do lots of rapid charging.

(In the old days when people commuted to work, it may have made sence for someone who's commute was a little long for the 40kwh in winter.)
In normal times we regularly visit OH family in Doncaster (175 miles) and don't want to charge on way, so a Leaf "40" wouldn't work but (from reports) a "62" would. On our North Wales trips a "62" would only need one stop, which we tend to need anyway. I am sure there are other like minded people who would like longer range but don't plan to do lots of rapid charging stops.

CHAdeMO has benefits at MSA today as EH usually have two and it does charge above 50kW on suitable Ultra rapids. Obviously Instavolt are an outlier but no other network is installing sites with no CHAdeMO, so it won't be a big issue for 5 years or more. That said, I suspect we will see an updated CCS Leaf in 2021 - the new Ariya will be.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
In normal times we regularly visit OH family in Doncaster (175 miles) and don't want to charge on way, so a Leaf "40" wouldn't work but (from reports) a "62" would. On our North Wales trips a "62" would only need one stop, which we tend to need anyway. I am sure there are other like minded people who would like longer range but don't plan to do lots of rapid charging stops
For your use, how much will the additional cost of the longer range work out per hour of saved charing time?

·
Registered
107 Posts
You'd have to use a lot of kWhs from cheaper overnight rate to compensate for the £5,000 more you pay for the Leaf compared with an MG!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You'd have to use a lot of kWhs from cheaper overnight rate to compensate for the £5,000 more you pay for the Leaf compared with an MG!
Or for £10-20k more you pay for an MG compared to a used Zoe or Leaf!

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For your use, how much will the additional cost of the longer range work out per hour of saved charing time?
We don't want to stop on the Doncaster journey and never did in Ampera or previous cars. I agreed with OH that a BEV had to do that journey with contingency in bad weather or diversion - hence we have a Model 3 LR.

On our trips further afield (e.g. Lakes this year) we wanted stops to be after ~200 miles and not too long which SuC (Supercharging) achieves. The lack of 100kW+ charging in North Wales is frustrating as we can't destination charge there when visiting family. The forthcoming SuC at Flint Mountain will be very welcome once we can visit Wales again.

I did save money on my ZE50 PCH as it doesn't have CCS. It will rarely be taken out of range and if I have to stop and charge, I am happy to wait a bit longer (OH wouldn't be with me!). I estimated the CCS option would save me between 5 and 10 hours over the 2 years, so a huge cost per hour!

However, for us (and I assume others), not everything is about money. It would be cheaper to buy an old Leaf 24 or Zoe R210 and stop several times to charge, but most people don't want to do that. If money is tight, then a used ICE is still a cheaper and easier option for long journeys.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
On our trips further afield (e.g. Lakes this year) we wanted stops to be after ~200 miles and not too long which SuC (Supercharging) achieves. The lack of 100kW+ charging in North Wales is frustrating as we can't destination charge there when visiting family. The forthcoming SuC at Flint Mountain will be very welcome once we can visit Wales again
That justify paying more to get a Model 3, the point I am making it that as the Leaf 62kw will never been great for long distance travel it is a lot harder to justify its addational cost.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Personally, I wanted a longer range vehicle to improve travel off Rapids. Lived with a 24kWh leaf for 6 years. Got too restrictive going into mid Wales, the Peak, the Lakes. I think I've only gone over 300 miles in a day twice in the last 6 years. But I do quite a few days [edit: per year, for clarification] in the 100-300 range (guessing around 30).

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That justify paying more to get a Model 3, the point I am making it that as the Leaf 62kw will never been great for long distance travel it is a lot harder to justify its addational cost.
I respect your opinion, but for people who have similar journey profiles to us but don't want to pay cost of Tesla, they may decide worth extra cost. If we couldn't have stretched to Tesla then it would have been a workable option for us, we would have lived with slower rapid charging rather than buy a PHEV.

We drove the B250e to Doncaster once, now that took a while to charge at 11kW and we went had via MK (lots of rapids) so we could charge while having a leisurely lunch!

I agree for regular long distance travel the Leaf 62kWh isn't a good idea, but my opinion is nothing around £30K is. Also the lack of widespread 100kW chargers means all except Tesla really charge at 50kW or less today, although hopefully that will improve by 2022.

Reactions: DuRam and ringi

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Since upgrading to e+ in February, I've used it very little but original plan was that for several outings a year to South coast a 200+ mile range should avoid the need for charging en route. But what I have found is that with a large capacity battery, I can add small amounts of charge (either by granny charging when Sun shines or picking best few periods overnight on Octopus Agile) frequently then run battery down till next opportunity.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
209 Posts
Would be interesting to see if this makes much difference over the e+ N-Tec. It seems the EV market has been pushing Nissan to the side as they do not seem to be competitive.

I was very surprised looking at howmanyleft stating there is only 1338 Leaf e+ on the road. That seems a very woeful number given they are a year into sales now, particularly given that the MG ZS released around the same time is ~3,000 registrations.

My wife's lease is up in April and we are looking to replace that with an EV. Whilst i've not done what I would consider extensive research as yet, the pricing / finance on an MG ZS is looking far more favourable than even a used Leaf 40kW... It feels the are sinking ever further out of touch with the market.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,422 Posts
Leaf E+ is just massively over priced for what it is. It was released skirting the £40k bracket and I don't think buyers have noticed it's dropped down to £30k ish. At £30k it's somewhat over priced for old tech. I do think the the Leaf 40 acenta should be around £20k. It's really nothing special at all now.

The refresh with slightly better ergonomics might help too as I must think Nissan have lost quite a few sales due to lack of steering wheel reach if they're suddenly putting it on a car this far into the end of the phase of it even existing.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,016 Posts
Leaving aside the marmite subject of active battery cooling, for £30K the LEAF 62Kwh E+ offers 217 BHP on tap from a 160Kw motor, a 240 miles range is easily attainable in the summer. With boot space of 385 Litres - Proven technology that actually works which include: Pro Pilot, Blind Spot indicator, moving object detection, all round view monitor, all round parking sensors, driver alert.

Excellent build quality and back up from EV established dealerships.

Yes the chassis is 11 years old, but still rides pretty well with the extra weight of the battery, not sporty but gives a comfortable ride, no worse than newer offerings, judging by the plethora of reviews on YouTube.

For £30K, the E+ has to be a bargain and a compelling case for purchase, surely.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Leaf E+ is looking extremely overpriced now that the MG5 is (nearly) here. You can pick up the MG5 for under £21k if you have any old petrol or diesel car to trade in. The Leaf has adaptive cruise control but the MG has so much more space and almost the same real-world range.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts