Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time since purchasing the car in February that I forgot to charge up the previous night.

Gonna be late for work so pulled into my local rapid with 20%. Start charging, 2mins later I see this long white car reversing into the left hand charging location. I'm thinking to myself what's this idiot iceing next to me and it's the Model S! (first time I have seen one in the wild except for in the New York store).

What a lucky escape. How would I explain "sorry boss gonna be 2 hours late because I've been Musked".

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Long range is not infinite range! :p

Joking aside... I have seen many, many suggestions that once we get affordable long-range EVs that the rapid charger network will become less necessary... this is just not the case IMO. As we are seeing... even with long range people still need/want to charge when on route. This will always be the case IMO and so I don't see less need for rapids... in fact, as people will be using their cars more for long trips as EV range increases I see MORE need for reliable rapid charging capacity.

Eventually, I predict that most, if not all, public charging will be rapid charging and we will then not need to constantly plug in to sip at 32A any more... OK... a long way off but that is where we are heading IMO.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Long range is not infinite range! :p

Joking aside... I have seen many, many suggestions that once we get affordable long-range EVs that the rapid charger network will become less necessary... this is just not the case IMO. As we are seeing... even with long range people still need/want to charge when on route. This will always be the case IMO and so I don't see less need for rapids... in fact, as people will be using their cars more for long trips as EV range increases I see MORE need for reliable rapid charging capacity.

Eventually, I predict that most, if not all, public charging will be rapid charging and we will then not need to constantly plug in to sip at 32A any more... OK... a long way off but that is where we are heading IMO.
Just checking - was that reply all "In Your Opinion"? ;)

Reactions: astewardson

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yes... IMO... in my opinion. Did you not see the several "IMO" put in?

How can it be anything else anyway? No one knows which way this is all going to go. We all have our opinions and any one of us might end up near the truth... or something else yet to be invented may change everything once again.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
*sigh* Obviously a failed attempt at humour on my part, commenting on what appeared to be a rash of "IMO" in the post...

Reactions: Robwiz and Paul

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't think that we early adopters are in a position to judge what the typical away-from-home charging will be: we all have had some strong motivation for buying EVs and as such are not the same as the average motorist who just wants to drive about and can't be bothered with the whys and wherefores. Most of us take journeys longer than the battery can manage from one charge, so rapid chargers are a necessity for us: I think there are lots of cars on the road which never do more than a few miles at a time and will never need to rapid charge. Quite a lot of these owners, living in flats and terraced houses, do not have the capacity for private off-road charging.

My wife hardly ever put petrol in our Prius when we had it, always leaving it to our son or me to do so. Suddenly, she is having to learn how to charge the thing up, although she hasn't yet tackled a rapid charger when it has just been her in the car.

I envisage a situation in which every supermarket has a whole array of 7kw chargers out the front and people turn up to shop, plug in, and an hour later when they return with their shopping they've got a few days' worth of charge in the battery. Offering electrons as a perk will cost less, I would have thought, than the vouchers offering 5p off per litre when you spend £50 or more. People are used to refuelling as they shop and I don't think it will be any different when half the cars on the road are EVs.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@flipper sorry! Went whoosh over the top of my head that one... I usually do get them though :) :)

You do make a bit of a point though even though I missed the joke... I always try to labour the point that most things I say are opinions because some people just take opinions the wrong way. Sorry if I over did it :)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I envisage a situation in which every supermarket has a whole array of 7kw chargers out the front and people turn up to shop, plug in, and an hour later when they return with their shopping they've got a few days' worth of charge in the battery.
I'd rather they did a fuel-save deal with my electricity supplier so I didn't have to hang around in a supermarket carpark to get the benefit :)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Surely most people are going to a 'local' supermarket and certainly within the range of any BEV. Look at Asda's attempt. I'm sure that was 'greenwash'. Arrange a press call, shove a press release out claiming 500 chargers within a year...and then 3 years later they have 80! (figures are based on memory, from a previous thread).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Surely most people are going to a 'local' supermarket and certainly within the range of any BEV. Look at Asda's attempt. I'm sure that was 'greenwash'. Arrange a press call, shove a press release out claiming 500 chargers within a year...and then 3 years later they have 80! (figures are based on memory, from a previous thread).
...and they're almost always ICEd with next to no interest from either store management or Asda HQ in having them properly policed (apart from a rare few stores).

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I asked at customer services about charging when I first got mine. The stations were a distance from the entrances so were never ICE'd. She really didn't have a clue and said, "you just plug in". Of course I soon discovered that you need a Polar card.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts