Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6 months of waiting I have managed to book my P85D in on April 12th at Tesla Gatwick to have the Ludicrous upgrade installed. For those who have not heard of it this is the replacement of the contactor and fuse to allow a greater ampage draw from the battery, reducing the 0-60 time from 3.1 to 2.9. My interest in it is more for the acceleration boost it gives from 40-70 which was significant in the P90DL test drive I had.

Because I was one of those owners whose cars were built in July before the upgrade was announced Tesla will charge me £4,300 inc VAT. I am not sure what the price is for those who turned it down before delivery and have changed their minds. The guys at Gatwick think it may take up to 4 days to complete. There are a number of us on the Facebook group who have gone for this so I am looking forward to hearing their reports. The US forums have been pretty positive so far.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I believe I am also qualified for this upgrade as well, if I am up and down the motorway all the time, I would definitely be going for it myself!

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Look forward to hearing how you get on Graham. This is good news, I admit I was slightly sceptical they would go through with it, so happy to be proved wrong.

I wonder if in the UK they will just swap out the pack or if they are intending on opening the packs up in the Service Centre. From what I've read on the process it's a fairly invasive procedure, and not all service centres can carry it out.

·
schlussel
387 Posts
£4000+ for 0.2 second improvement! There's not much impresses me but that certainly does. Hats off and I hand over the "Brave One" baton.

As my aged body falls apart I am not at all convinced I could actually take the G forces involved so I am glad I don't have the temptation to raid the pension purse any further.

Although 4 days does seem a long time to replace a contactor and a fuse. There must be more to it. Sure others in the know will enlighten us.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
£4000+ for 0.2 second improvement!
It's more for the mid range acceleration as the car can sustain full power for much longer on the digital fuse.

this is the replacement of the contactor and fuse to allow a greater ampage draw from the battery, reducing the 0-60 time from 3.1 to 2.9. My interest in it is more for the acceleration boost it gives from 40-70 which was significant in the P90DL test drive I had.
but hey if you read that and decided to post "just a 0.2 s improvement" perhaps I'm wasting my time and everyone else's repeating this for you.

Reactions: 2543

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
£4000+ for 0.2 second improvement! There's not much impresses me but that certainly does. Hats off and I hand over the "Brave One" baton.
It's more about the mid-range in practise. Looking at the data plots (there are some overlayed ones on TMC) you can see the car has two distinct limits:

Stage 1 is a torque cap that is almost certainly software, and the assumption is it's there to protect the drive train,
Stage 2 is a current cap, again almost certainly software, and designed to keep the current under the fuse rating.

The second happens after about 30mph, so from a traffic light GP, POV the two will be nigh on identical up to 30 (which is silly rapid for both cars) after this point the higher current draw really helps.

What is more important is driving along at say 50, and the urgency getting to 70(ish). This is where it keeps the car on a more even playing field with the other high end stuff that is left trailing in the dust after the Tesla's incredible launch.

Is it worth £4.3k, in pure performance terms probably not, but that underline on the bootlid has some cachet, and that's really where the money is going IMHO.

As my aged body falls apart I am not at all convinced I could actually take the G forces involved so I am glad I don't have the temptation to raid the pension purse any further.

Although 4 days does seem a long time to replace a contactor and a fuse. There must be more to it. Sure others in the know will enlighten us.
My understanding is that whilst the existing fuse can be swapped if it fails easily enough, the new fuse requires a power feed to drive the electronics it contains. Therefore the whole top of the battery (which is glued/sealanted on) must be taken off, a power feed run and secured inside the pack, and the pack all glued back together.

This is why I thought they would pull a "insufficient uptake" stunt, it really will be a PITA for them to do this. In many ways it's a bit of a sweetner to those that were quite cross at missing out on the P90DL.

·
Registered
301 Posts
After 6 months of waiting I have managed to book my P85D in on April 12th at Tesla Gatwick to have the Ludicrous upgrade installed. For those who have not heard of it this is the replacement of the contactor and fuse to allow a greater ampage draw from the battery, reducing the 0-60 time from 3.1 to 2.9. My interest in it is more for the acceleration boost it gives from 40-70 which was significant in the P90DL test drive I had.

Because I was one of those owners whose cars were built in July before the upgrade was announced Tesla will charge me £4,300 inc VAT. I am not sure what the price is for those who turned it down before delivery and have changed their minds. The guys at Gatwick think it may take up to 4 days to complete. There are a number of us on the Facebook group who have gone for this so I am looking forward to hearing their reports. The US forums have been pretty positive so far.
Any faster and you will pass yourself coming back!:eek:

·
schlussel
387 Posts
It's more for the mid range acceleration as the car can sustain full power for much longer on the digital fuse.
but hey if you read that and decided to post "just a 0.2 s improvement" perhaps I'm wasting my time and everyone else's repeating this for you.
The 'just' doesn't need saying, would be unhelpful and I deliberately didn't say it. I suspect it is a hugely misleading statistic anyway. I am sure it takes the car to a completely different level, right across the whole spectrum of performance. Otherwise it would be ludicrous!

But as a strap line, I think it is genuinely impressive and should be used to Max effect.

The fuller explanations show it is much more than a minor tweak. And if it takes several days work to implement, the actual bottom line cost figure becomes much more what you should expect for so many hours work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was slightly miffed that I was not able to upgrade my car to the P90DL because the thing was already in transit last July when they announced it. Therefore I have looked forward to this upgrade immensely! As for value for money, people have paid a lot more than £4300 to get 0.2 improvement in their 0-60 times in their ICE cars. But this is a real performance boost and it takes my car into the top 20 fastest cars in the World just behind the P90DL. There are not many people who can say that about their car!

·
schlussel
387 Posts
Clarity required. I absolutely get the rational behind Ludicrous mode, and
where it puts the car: Elon describes it as Faster than a Ferrari, Safer than a Volvo and more efficient than a Prius. My poky little S70 is faster than a Mini Cooper S - not quite the same cachet. At all.

Anyone with half a brain will realise that that amount of money is NEVER going to be spent just for 0.2 second improvement, but come on, as a Strap Line they just don't come any better than that (IMO).

It wasn't a dig, but I WAS hoping for the normal developing run of cutting, comic quips. OK, misjudged that one. Sorry. My feeble attempts at satire will get reined in - there are just too many people who are keen to read ulterior motives that aren't there.

Graham, good luck with the upgrade. Hope it is everything you are hoping it will be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts