Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Luxury EV with Tesla-beating range"... er, no, it isn't. It might be able to get further before having to charge, but that's where the big problem lies with saying that something is 'Tesla-beating'. Until there is a public charging network that actually beats the Tesla's charging network, then there is no such thing as Tesla-beating.

The Lucid's range numbers put even the best Tesla to shame, though it's worth noting that the Air's triple-digit price tag far exceeds that of a Model S, which starts around $90,000.
Nothing shameful about having a luxury car that's cheaper, has less range, but that will probably get you from Land's End to John O'Groats and back more quickly. And certainly with a lot less stress (given that the the Lucid will be doing battle with the non-Tesla public charging network).

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
247 Posts
But how many times do you need to drive 400 miles plus without stopping? The Lucid looks like an excellent car and, apart from the ludicrous pricetag, has all the hallmarks of a car that is better than the Tesla S.

The John O Groats to Lands End analogy shows why EVs are having to have bigger and bigger battery packs, and therefore cost so much. The average person does not drive that far (unless they are filling up with petrol, in which case they need to have enough to get to Paris.)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I understand that regularly put-forward argument. That's fine if you can charge from home and never go out of that range. The issues arise for those with no home charging and/or long distance travellers.

Personally, I don't even like Teslas, but I'm a realist and have to concede that they have done it better than everyone else thus far.

After five years of EV driving, I am still reluctant to put myself in a position where I have to rely on public charging, because I don't drive a Tesla.

I think that there is sweet spot for battery capacity, which is to provide about 300 miles range. Charging at home (and in a Tesla away from home) is easy, but I still want to go the trouble of charging as little as possible.

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
739 Posts
Gonna say, after testing a model S before buying mine as was the way I was going to go, I think the correct way to think of it, tesla have built the best charging network, and to use it you have to buy their poorly put together cars.

Tesla are a great technology company, and the drive train/software (for the most part) is testiment to that, the car part though... Needs improvement....

To be fair I think that's going to be a common 'issue' with a lot of the startup Ev's though

·
Premium Member
12,845 Posts
Ioniq 5 and EV6 already blow Tesla into the weeds
You own both? And have previously owned which Tesla? How do you find them better? Easier to charge on long journeys? Less issues with 12V battery? :rolleyes:

We have a Model 3 for 2 years and Model S for 4 years and neither have broken down. Unlike the Mercedes B250e we had for 6 months. But maybe it had better panel gaps.

Reactions: kurokawa and SoFar

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
"Luxury EV with Tesla-beating range"... er, no, it isn't. It might be able to get further before having to charge, but that's where the big problem lies with saying that something is 'Tesla-beating'. Until there is a public charging network that actually beats the Tesla's charging network, then there is no such thing as Tesla-beating.

Nothing shameful about having a luxury car that's cheaper, has less range, but that will probably get you from Land's End to John O'Groats and back more quickly. And certainly with a lot less stress (given that the the Lucid will be doing battle with the non-Tesla public charging network).
You don’t need a great charging network if you can go 500 miles between charges!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You own both? And have previously owned which Tesla? How do you find them better? Easier to charge on long journeys? Less issues with 12V battery? :rolleyes:

We have a Model 3 for 2 years and Model S for 4 years and neither have broken down. Unlike the Mercedes B250e we had for 6 months. But maybe it had better panel gaps.
Perfect panel Gaps and paint on our 2021 MIC Model 3 , just six week old. I hear stories of even the Yanks delaying orders waiting for the Texas Gigafactory so they can get a better built car than what comes out of Freemont.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You don’t need a great charging network if you can go 500 miles between charges!
You do if you need to drive 700 miles a day with as few breaks as possible, which 90% of all ICE drivers claim to need, and have to spend "hours" finding available working chargers. Then you luck out after 2 hours and get a 50kw charger, to realise you have a 150kw battery and 3 hrs to fill it!! lol.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
You do if you need to drive 700 miles a day with as few breaks as possible, which 90% of all ICE drivers claim to need, and have to spend "hours" finding available working chargers. Then you luck out after 2 hours and get a 50kw charger, to realise you have a 150kw battery and 3 hrs to fill it!! lol.
Nonsense!

The humans on board need to stop every few hours to use the toilet, buy coffee, buy food etc.

My car has a 250 mile real-world range. Cornwall is c. 320 miles away from home. The car needs a single 10min charging break, it doesn’t really matter where. The passengers need several 30min plus breaks.

Most people go their entire lives never driving more than a few hundred miles in a day.

London to Edinburgh is 400miles. That is an extreme journey requiring lots of stops irrelevant of charging. If you did it in the Lucid then you could drive up without charging, stop at a hotel with a 22kW destination charger, then the car could drive back the next day without charging. Zero charging network required! The car has more range than the driver.

You’re writing a lot of posts on here that are just plain dumb. Please think before you press the “post reply” button.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Nonsense!

The humans on board need to stop every few hours to use the toilet, buy coffee, buy food etc.

My car has a 250 mile real-world range. Cornwall is c. 320 miles away from home. The car needs a single 10min charging break, it doesn’t really matter where the passengers need several 30min plus breaks.

Most people go their entire lives never driving more than a few hundred miles in a day.

London to Edinburgh is 400miles. That is an extreme journey requiring lots of stops irrelevant of charging. If you did it in the Lucid then you could drive up without charging, stop at a hotel with a 22kW destination charger, then drive the car the car could drive back the next day without charging. Zero charging network required! The has more range than the driver.

You’re writing a lot of posts on here they are just plain dumb. Please think before you press the “post reply” button.
Totally agree.

400 mile range is (in reality) 5-6hrs at the legal maximum speed, let’s say 6 hrs at 65mph ish - group of 4 in the car, someone is going to want a pee in that time... probably 2 or 3 people.

So assuming the car is stopped, even if you plugged into a 100kw MSA charger twice for 40 min in total (2 x 20min) that’s 60kwh taken back on board, so perhaps another 200-250m of range added - so easily London to Scotland and then some....

The simple fact is, 400m range is more than most people will ever do in a day, so it’s “enough”. Even my cars 280m is “enough” as any trip over 200m I need loo breaks and that means charge opportunities.

Tesla quality is improving, and no, I don’t own an Ioniq 5 or an EV6 (yet) but I have a very strong urge to hit “buy” on an EV6.... looked at a M3, great charging network, not a nice car in any other way.... other than Supercharging, even my Soul is a nice car than a M3 (ready for the haters) - to me an M3 is a mobile computer, it looks so cheap inside, fit and finish is awful, spec is pretty good I concede, but trying to control everything from a massive touchscreen is just a straight NO from me - hence why I will never buy one. Plenty of other cars out there to choose from.

And although Superchargers are reliable, from what I hear, they have queuing problems as well now, and if they do open them up to other makes, then that will get way worse.

So I wouldn’t buy an inferior car to get a benefit that may be very short lived.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
And although Superchargers are reliable, from what I hear, they have queuing problems as well now, and if they do open them up to other makes, then that will get way worse.

So I wouldn’t buy an inferior car to get a benefit that may be very short lived.
Superchargers break down just like the rest. Watched an RSEV video on YouTube where he took a bunch of BEVs on a road trip to compare range/charging etc. The superchargers weren’t working…

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
They wont open up the supercharger Network anywhere where there are regular Tesla's queuing, until they have enough chargers they queues are gone. Even in Holland / Norway trials they are only opening ones up to others that have a history of not being used much.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I have never EVER met anyone who claims to drive 700 every day, and I work in a car dealer!!

You are talking rubbish there - it would be more like 0.00001%

They might say they need 700m range - thats different, they are ice drivers, they want to fill up twice a month at most....

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
739 Posts
I have never EVER met anyone who claims to drive 700 every day, and I work in a car dealer!!

They might say they need 700m range - thats different, they are ice drivers, they want to fill up twice a month at most....
700miles at 70mph constantly (not gonna happen in UK or USA I would think) is 10 hours straight, if someone is doing that I pitty them, and they can drive whatever they like, they need it.

For everyone else 200ish miles before a break is what all of us do, less if you have kids. But ICE drivers 'feel' like they need the range because the guesometer in their car says they have 500 miles range.

But hey its a mindset thing.. Or a daily mail/express thing....

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Yesh what is it with you peeps today, has everyone had a "irony" bypass? go on any Facebook EV advert or feed article about EV's and you will find hundreds of people all claiming they wont have an EV until they can drive 700 miles in one go without stopping and fill up in 5 mins like their Trusty XXXXX (insert brand here) Diesel.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,191 Posts
Yesh what is it with you peeps today, has everyone had a "irony" bypass? go on any Facebook EV advert or feed article about EV's and you will find hundreds of people all claiming they wont have an EV until they can drive 700 miles in one go without stopping and fill up in 5 mins like their Trusty XXXXX (insert brand here) Diesel.
You missed the bit about towing a caravan whilst doing it, that always comes up as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.