Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Luxury EV with Tesla-beating range"... er, no, it isn't. It might be able to get further before having to charge, but that's where the big problem lies with saying that something is 'Tesla-beating'. Until there is a public charging network that actually beats the Tesla's charging network, then there is no such thing as Tesla-beating.

The Lucid's range numbers put even the best Tesla to shame, though it's worth noting that the Air's triple-digit price tag far exceeds that of a Model S, which starts around $90,000.
Nothing shameful about having a luxury car that's cheaper, has less range, but that will probably get you from Land's End to John O'Groats and back more quickly. And certainly with a lot less stress (given that the the Lucid will be doing battle with the non-Tesla public charging network).

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
But how many times do you need to drive 400 miles plus without stopping? The Lucid looks like an excellent car and, apart from the ludicrous pricetag, has all the hallmarks of a car that is better than the Tesla S.

The John O Groats to Lands End analogy shows why EVs are having to have bigger and bigger battery packs, and therefore cost so much. The average person does not drive that far (unless they are filling up with petrol, in which case they need to have enough to get to Paris.)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I understand that regularly put-forward argument. That's fine if you can charge from home and never go out of that range. The issues arise for those with no home charging and/or long distance travellers.

Personally, I don't even like Teslas, but I'm a realist and have to concede that they have done it better than everyone else thus far.

After five years of EV driving, I am still reluctant to put myself in a position where I have to rely on public charging, because I don't drive a Tesla.

I think that there is sweet spot for battery capacity, which is to provide about 300 miles range. Charging at home (and in a Tesla away from home) is easy, but I still want to go the trouble of charging as little as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts