Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0900.JPG

Wouldn't it be good if Motorway Service stations clearly showed an EV charging symbol?? Quite a few show LPG which must be less in demand than EV charging these days presumably. Are any manufacturers still making LPG vehicles? Fuel is the one vital service drivers need whether it's fossil fuel or electricity!

·
The best there is at what I do
10,586 Posts
It would be great if they could display which connectors the pumps have, or maybe they could display a sign saying "CCS users naff off" that would be more use than displaying EV charging on the main sign as that is misleading:confused:

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
View attachment 46585

Wouldn't it be good if Motorway Service stations clearly showed an EV charging symbol?? Quite a few show LPG which must be less in demand than EV charging these days presumably. Are any manufacturers still making LPG vehicles? Fuel is the one vital service drivers need whether it's fossil fuel or electricity!
Quite a few of the motorway services signs now say 'Ecotricity' on them. Sadly they haven't realised that without saying which connectors are available this is only of use to CHAdeMO users.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
This is the old South Mimms sign. The first motorway services in Britain to have EV charging.

It had the TSRGD approved symbol 660.9

This sign has since been replaced with one featuring just brand logos (Ecotricity), which is far less obvious, but I guess that since there are now very few motorway services that don't have EV charging of some sort, it's a bit like showing lack of a facility rather than existence of it. (I have yet to see a matrix sign saying M3 FLEET (S) SERVICES NO EV CHARGING, but you do see NO FUEL AVAILABLE )

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 07.11.41.png

·
Registered
11,751 Posts
Less obvious, and as I said doesn't say what sort of connectors are on offer, but it does allow them to distinguish Ecotricity and Tesla.
Tesla don't display their chargers on motorway signage as it's built into the satnav.

I've only seen the EH signs on the motorway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Modern EVcars come with satnavs that have charge points shown including data about them like you get on Zapmap. I guess older EVs may not have that though. Of course, you can download the Zapmap app to your smartphone and get info that way.

Someone will surely develop (or have they already??) a sophisticated satnav system for cars that will give all info about upcoming service stations, including not only what fuels is available but what outlets and facilities exist. Wouldn't it be nice not to have those monstrous placards confusingly populated with lettering and signs and replace them with something much more discreet just giving the name of the services?

·
Registered
11,751 Posts
Modern EVcars come with satnavs that have charge points shown including data about them like you get on Zapmap. I guess older EVs may not have that though. Of course, you can download the Zapmap app to your smartphone and get info that way.

Someone will surely develop (or have they already??) a sophisticated satnav system for cars that will give all info about upcoming service stations, including not only what fuels is available but what outlets and facilities exist. Wouldn't it be nice not to have those monstrous placards confusingly populated with lettering and signs and replace them with something much more discreet just giving the name of the services?
You're better off not trusting the charge point data in the Zoe satnav!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're better off not trusting the charge point data in the Zoe satnav!
Agreed, I remember doing a dummy test once, being 3 feet in front of an Ecotricity charger and it still couldn't locate it! The nearest one was 15 miles away.. strange as Tom tom are supposed top dog I believe...

Then again driving a Tesla I borrowed, I found the nearest super charger on Tesla 's software was 43 miles away. There were Charge your car chargers nearby you couldn't navigate to these that easily without going on Zap map.

·
Registered
11,751 Posts
Agreed, I remember doing a dummy test once, being 3 feet in front of an Ecotricity charger and it still couldn't locate it! The nearest one was 15 miles away.. strange as Tom tom are supposed top dog I believe...

Then again driving a Tesla I borrowed, I found the nearest super charger on Tesla 's software was 43 miles away. There were Charge your car chargers nearby you couldn't navigate to these that easily without going on Zap map.
Tesla satnav only shows Superchargers and Destination chargers - but at least they're always correct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts