Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now trying to use my 7kW EVSE to refill, from starting 32% SOC, up to 85%, so I can crunch numbers for my test. Plug it in, starts off at 22-23 mph charging, great, just what I expect. Come back a couple of hours later, and it's slowed right down to a crawl at 2 mph rate !!! Unplug, turn car off & lock, unlock & plug in again and it's back at 23 mph again Started this process at 2:45 this afternoon, car predicted 100% full at 8:33 p.m.

Clearly something's going bananas; I was out a few mins ago at 19:55, it was at 74% SOC, charging at 2 mph!!! Something about charge complete at 07:30 or maybe 08:00 or somesuch.

I suspect it's suddenly set up a morning departure, but I cannot for the life of me find any menu about this. Found one where I can give the charging location a name, so called it "Home". That had time-of-say fields to the right, but all greyed out as here are no values set in there yet.

Anyone got a clue?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
I had this last week, I’m still on 0564.

You haven’t accidentally switched on the reduced charging current in either the car or App?

I’ve been wondering for a while whether VW have some kind of breaking in regime for battery packs, exactly the same happened with my e-Golf, slow max rapid speeds at first, and reduced 7kw charging.

I’ve had both the above on the ID.3, and I’ve now also noticed a step change in miles per kWh too, either I’ve got more used to the car or the battery pack has got better after a few cycles, and/or the motor has ‘worn in’.

Probably just more mad theories though from another mildly obsessive EV owner.

Just checked mine and it’s plugged in outside now charging at 23mph.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deffo not ticked the Recuced Charging button. That cuts it from 23 mph down to about 6 mph, so I guess probably a 6A charge for those trying hard to not overheat unknown 13A sockets, using extensions, etc. So it's not that. I'm wondering if it's slowing down at increments of 25%, so when it gets to 50% full, 75% full, or somesuch.

I did see a bonkers message at the very bototm of the sceen saying "charging to 0%" when it was actually at 23 mph rate & target clearly set to 100%! Changing the target to 90% or 80% did nothing to that junk message. I'll go out now & take another look.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just been out again, got to 86% SOC, close enough to the 85 I wanted so I can now do some calcs to relate kWh from EVSE versus kWh used by the motor. But again it was charging slow, at 3 mph! And showing the message "Charging to 0%" at bottom left of the charging screen!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't know if this applies to the ID3 but in my Ioniq when you open a door when AC charging the charge rate drops to 0.5kw for a short, maybe in anticipation of removing the charge lead, and then goes back to the previous rate after a short while. I wonder there is a similar thing with the ID3.

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
187 Posts
I don't know if this applies to the ID3 but in my Ioniq when you open a door when AC charging the charge rate drops to 0.5kw for a short, maybe in anticipation of removing the charge lead, and then goes back to the previous rate after a short while. I wonder there is a similar thing with the ID3.
This is exactly correct when you unlock the car the charge rate is reduced to a safe value where you can remove the plug. This will reduce to possibility of arcing at high current flows

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
This is exactly correct when you unlock the car the charge rate is reduced to a safe value where you can remove the plug. This will reduce to possibility of arcing at high current flows
Whrn you unlock the ID.3, and assuming it’s an AC charger we’re talking about, charging pauses and you just get a solid green light.

It doesn’t just reduce, it stops, and resumes shortly afterwards if you don’t remove the plug. I’ve got the OHME EVSE, it displsys 0.0 as the charge rate in that scenario.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep I think that’s how the protocol for type 2 charging works. Cars AC charger tells the EVSE to stop supplying current via control pilot, EVSE releases the contactors, car detects current no longer present, car releases the interlock on type 2 plug.

This is how all my type 2 cars have worked. For our ID 3 we can unlock the car without interrupting charging you have to tap the unlock key twice to stop charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep I think that’s how the protocol for type 2 charging works. ...<details skipped>...
... For our ID 3 we can unlock the car without interrupting charging you have to tap the unlock key twice to stop charging.
Ok, it makes complete sense for the car to ramp the charging right down to near-as-dammit zero, or even zero, the moment I come near & interact with the car by unlocking it (if it was locked, as it was with me) so there's no arcing/stress if I decide to unplug. Explains the 2 or 3 mph charging it was doing. That would equate to about 3A being drawn from the EVSE while I sat inside the car wondering what was going on; 3A is enough to at least let me know the thing's actually working, a useful message to get.

What it doesn't explain is why it had predicted charge complete by 8:30 pm, but at 10 pm was still nowhere near complete! I'm going to have to do a careful retest of all this, using my house monitor to see from the comfort of my settee if the house is still importing 7kW or not. My winter tyres will arrive on Monday (3 came today, 4th delayed (4 pkgs, sequentially numbered, go figure!)) so I'm intending to do some more high-speed efficiency trials to see how those behave. I'll re-check the EVSe charging more carefully then. Unless I'm locked-down, that is!

·
Registered
14 Posts
good luck with the testing, one other thing to check and it might be a long shot but the EPC (the brain inside the EVSE that talks to the cars onboard charger and controls the Contactor) usually has a resistor that dictates what the maximum charge rate can be. Sometimes this is wired inside the TYPE2 plug to rate the supply for the tethered cable being used. If this resistor plays up it could be telling the EPC to tell the car to charge at a whacky rate. Long shot but something else to check.

My winters are due 1st week in Jan be interested to know how you get on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts