Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Collecting my new M3 standard range plus from thorpe park tomorrow. Ive got about a 100 mile journey home. On the phone they said although they try to give them a charge at collection its usually at around 40%. They also said the app usually activates a couple of days after collection. I asked how this would work with supercharging on the way home as i wont have linked my card to my account etc. Bit of a silence and he said if i needed to i can use another public charger. This is fine, but no exactly ideal.
Is this right? Will i not have use of the app until a few days afterwards?
Fingers crossed its got a decent charge and will get me home without any issues.
I've got the Wyboston v3 chargers fairly close to me so will be keep to run the battery down and see what sort of charge speed i get as i think ive got the chinese built, new type of battery in mine. Read a few bits online to suggest they wont be able to charge as fast as the older type batteries.
Cheers
Sam

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah im quietly hopeful the chap on the phone was just being cautious not to over promise. He was saying its difficult at the moment as a lot of the service centres are closed. Hence why they are borrowing thorpe park's car park to do customer collections. Obviously no super charging available on site.
If its an issue i might just give a supercharger a go.
Is it normal that i cant login to the app yet? I'm leasing via a broker by the way. So far i have to say any involvement with tesla has been pretty great. It was just the leasing company (nationwide) that didnt seem up to speed with how tesla work.
Will be interesting to see how the contactless collection goes..

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can link your card to your Tesla account via desktop, don't need the app for that.

I managed to supercharge my car on the day I picked it up as the battery was low so it definitely works. In fact, they told us the first day of supercharging was free so that people in your exact position can charge it to get home. I double checked to make sure no charge was incurred (or none of my free referral miles was used) and it was indeed true, 100% free on the first day. Not sure if this is still the policy though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brill, thank you. Im confident it will all be OK. Will ask them again tomorrow and sure the people at the collection will be able to tell me. Thanks for the heads up about paying information, put that on there now. My car isnt showing in the account which i suppose is slightly muddied by the fact i dont actually own the car, the leasing company does. Sure it will all sort itself out. Counting down the hours...

·
Registered
228 Posts
No worries. Hope it all goes smoothly for you. Exciting times!

Don't forget to scrutinise the car to make sure there's no build quality issues. We spent an hour looking over every inch of our car and found quite a few issues, mostly cosmetic. But to Tesla's credit, they fixed everything in a timely manner and I've not had any issues since. Fingers crossed you get one with no defects. All the best!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Take a raincoat. It was pouring the day we collected ours, two weeks ago, so difficult to scrutinise at the time. The car was in the open, so quite dirty. It was around 40% charged, which I thought a bit cheapskate. No-one mentioned free charging on collection day to me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,
Collected the car yesterday. Gave it a good going over and no issues with quality etc.
However, it had 23% charge in the battery. They said i would have 2 hours free supercharger use. Collection was from Thorpe Park.I went to the hilton Hotel chargers near Heathrow. Tried 3 different chargers and the most I was getting was 28kw. It said I only had 30 min free parking. Also that you had to show your key at the desk. Hotel completely closed. Massive queue to get out the car park (all teslas) because the barrier would not go up. After about 30 minutes wait a guy obviously got sick of it so just lifted up the barrier and we all left. Expecting ill get a ticket or something for overstaying the 30 minutes. Anyway, then went to South Mimms, queued to use a charger and got about 60kw. By this time I was out of my 2 hours so I expect I'll get charged. Pretty disappointed with the charging speeds so far but will see how it goes.
Other than that the car seems great!
p.s. the car showed up in my app about 8 hours after I collected it.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,909 Posts
Hi all,
Collected the car yesterday. Gave it a good going over and no issues with quality etc.
However, it had 23% charge in the battery. They said i would have 2 hours free supercharger use. Collection was from Thorpe Park.I went to the hilton Hotel chargers near Heathrow. Tried 3 different chargers and the most I was getting was 28kw. It said I only had 30 min free parking. Also that you had to show your key at the desk. Hotel completely closed. Massive queue to get out the car park (all teslas) because the barrier would not go up. After about 30 minutes wait a guy obviously got sick of it so just lifted up the barrier and we all left. Expecting ill get a ticket or something for overstaying the 30 minutes. Anyway, then went to South Mimms, queued to use a charger and got about 60kw. By this time I was out of my 2 hours so I expect I'll get charged. Pretty disappointed with the charging speeds so far but will see how it goes.
Crikey, quite an adventurous day!

Were the pinch points at the superchargers caused by everybody collecting yesterday you think?

My wife’s M3 LR arrives on Thursday, she won’t be impressed to hear tales of queueing at SCs...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi all,
Great to hear you had no quality issues. I'm actually quite surprised by that :D

The slow charging is probably down to one of two things (or both).
1) You said you queued to use the supercharger so I'm assuming all of them were being used, in which case the charge rate will drop. The chargers come in pairs usually labelled 1A and 1B, 2A and 2B etc. Each pair share the rate of charge so if both are being used, then the kW is essentially halved i.e. you only get half the charging speed.
2) Your battery wasn't properly warmed up.

Based on what you've said, I'm assuming the low rate of charge is probably more to do with the first point rather than the second point. So I wouldn't let that put you off. It's rare for all supercharger stalls to be occupied, at least based on my experience. Next time you go to a supercharger, go to a pair that is not being used and you should hopefully get a much higher rate of charge.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked the car up at Thorpe Park. I then drove 15 minutes to the Heathrow charger. There was about 40 bays and only about 4 being used. I tried 3 different stalls ( i know about how they split the supply etc). fors 2 were very and the third a v3. Others there were getting normal high speeds.
I then left here as the charge was so slow and went to South Mimms that had a queue to charge. to be fair I only queued for about 5 minutes to get a spot. The trip from Heathrow to South Mimms was about 30 minutes maybe.
The car was pre heating the battery the whole way between Heathrow and South Mimms. so maybe it was that the battery wasn't warm. But is sub 30 kw charging normal for a cold battery?
I suppose this scenario is quite rare, as I'd likely be leaving with a charged battery normally.
Drove a bit more today, really love the car so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Haven’t got my car yet but getting concerned regarding the supercharging issues. Most of the chargers are at hotels and I believe you might get fined if you use them and don’t reside there. What’s the point of that? Are they really expecting loads of Tesla’s to be staying there at the same time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haven’t got my car yet but getting concerned regarding the supercharging issues. Most of the chargers are at hotels and I believe you might get fined if you use them and don’t reside there. What’s the point of that? Are they really expecting loads of Tesla’s to be staying there at the same time.
The problem is not with the hotel per-se but with the parking fee/fine bandits that the hotel have employed to monitor their car parking.
The parking bandits are separate from the hotel.
Where required you need to advise the hotel you're there so the hotel can assure the parking bandits that you're authorised to be there (for a while at least).
The bandits are the scourge of car parks all over the country and yes its an out and out scam :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My particular concern was the Holton was completely closed so couldn't validate the tickets. The tickets issued at the barrier on the way in were not being accepted by the machine on the way out. Due to the queue to exit the car park I was well over the 30 minute allowance. Hopefully they're reasonable but I suspect not and I'll have to fight it. The great thing about tesla m3 with ccs though, is you can always use any old ccs charger as well.

·
EGGY
1,694 Posts
I've got an ID.3 as well as a M3. I got fined £30 for charging at Tescos on a 7kw for not validating in store. Which was always going to be difficult 2 hours before the store opened .... SC are a dream compared to the public network but yup the more cars they sell ... there's another thread on here discussing the network and new installs, worth looking at. Production of units looks likely to increase China: Tesla Officially Launches Shanghai Supercharger Plant which is good news as Tesla's history is one of not hitting the promised install dates ... those install windows have narrowed recently and they are giving quarterly objectives ...

Re Heathrow, I've only ever charged their twice (airport run) and it was me and 1 other bloke there .... I didn't (could not) validate and didn't get fined ... V3's are on the right as you drive in so M3 owners look out for those for the best experience .... I suspect OP issue was a cold battery, did you set the charger in as the destination and get a "pre heating for charging" message. The pre heating malarky can take quite a long time, I've seen pre-heating initiate when I've started on a journey and the SC was 30-40 minutes away. Heathrow is going to be one of the busier chargers because of the airport, I used it as a parking spot while I waiting for my wife to clear customs and then drove round to drop off/pick up, so not your typical SC experience. New Tesla owners also tend to hang around at SC's to use up their "free" 1000 miles of charging and obviously West London has a high population density so your more likely to get large numbers of people there

Also be aware that your car is probably a MIC(hina) model with a different battery chemistry. These have experienced charging issues but a software update was dropped a couple of weeks back to solve this problem, see article here

You'll need to add subtitles in the settings, not great but you'll get the drift. So worth checking you have the latest software update.

I'm not sure about most of the SC's being at hotels but most of the SC's I've been to have been in Italy and France. Gelato by the key side in Varazze while your car charges ?? Or MSA in Blighty ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got an ID.3 as well as a M3. I got fined £30 for charging at Tescos on a 7kw for not validating in store. Which was always going to be difficult 2 hours before the store opened .... SC are a dream compared to the public network but yup the more cars they sell ... there's another thread on here discussing the network and new installs, worth looking at. Production of units looks likely to increase China: Tesla Officially Launches Shanghai Supercharger Plant which is good news as Tesla's history is one of not hitting the promised install dates ... those install windows have narrowed recently and they are giving quarterly objectives ...

Re Heathrow, I've only ever charged their twice (airport run) and it was me and 1 other bloke there .... I didn't (could not) validate and didn't get fined ... V3's are on the right as you drive in so M3 owners look out for those for the best experience .... I suspect OP issue was a cold battery, did you set the charger in as the destination and get a "pre heating for charging" message. The pre heating malarky can take quite a long time, I've seen pre-heating initiate when I've started on a journey and the SC was 30-40 minutes away. Heathrow is going to be one of the busier chargers because of the airport, I used it as a parking spot while I waiting for my wife to clear customs and then drove round to drop off/pick up, so not your typical SC experience. New Tesla owners also tend to hang around at SC's to use up their "free" 1000 miles of charging and obviously West London has a high population density so your more likely to get large numbers of people there

Also be aware that your car is probably a MIC(hina) model with a different battery chemistry. These have experienced charging issues but a software update was dropped a couple of weeks back to solve this problem, see article here

You'll need to add subtitles in the settings, not great but you'll get the drift. So worth checking you have the latest software update.

I'm not sure about most of the SC's being at hotels but most of the SC's I've been to have been in Italy and France. Gelato by the key side in Varazze while your car charges ?? Or MSA in Blighty ? :rolleyes:
How do you validate your charging in store at Tesco?

·
EGGY
1,694 Posts
I didn't, that's the point, Sunday morning the store was closed. And then the bar stewards fined me. Have appealed and heard nothing, funny that

SC thread

1 - 20 of 45 Posts