Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does the M3 wake up during the night at random times?

Last night, I got home at 5.15pm and by 5.30pm Tesla advanced notification was reporting the car as in deep sleep.

This morning, without me having accessed the car using any apps during the night, Tesla advanced notification was reporting the car to have only been in deep sleep since 4.24am.

Why did the car wake up during the night? Sentry was off. Wi-Fi on. Doors locked. Car not charging. No apps accessing the car remotely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe there's a lady Tesla down the road from you and it's crept off in the dead of night for a bit of slap and tickle :sneaky:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe there's a lady Tesla down the road from you and it's crept off in the dead of night for a bit of slap and tickle :sneaky:
As a serious follow-up to my above pointless initial response (although this is no more useful to you I'm afraid) can I answer a question with a question? What is Tesla advanced notification? Am I missing something on the app or is this a separate 3rd party app? I wouldn't mind knowing if my M3 is slinking off somewhere in the middle of the night too...!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a serious follow-up to my above pointless initial response (although this is no more useful to you I'm afraid) can I answer a question with a question? What is Tesla advanced notification? Am I missing something on the app or is this a separate 3rd party app? I wouldn't mind knowing if my M3 is slinking off somewhere in the middle of the night too...!
Tesla Advanced Notification is a brilliant app. Adds a home screen notification to your phone showing you state of charge and other info without having to use the Tesla app to wake up the car.

Here's the link :

It's Android.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Does the app definitely not have to wake the car to get information from it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tesla Advanced Notification is a brilliant app. Adds a home screen notification to your phone showing you state of charge and other info without having to use the Tesla app to wake up the car.

Here's the link :

It's Android.
Thanks - sadly I'm Apple not Android. Maybe they're working on it!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not according to the app description. There is a Refresh button to force a wake up but otherwise not.
QUOTE from the app description :

Tired of useless official Tesla notification, giving no information?
Annoyed of opening the Tesla application and waking up the car to check the battery level?
This application is the answer to your problems!
This application offer a useful notification with car state, last battery status and charge state, without waking up the car!
It also offer some shortcuts such as preheating the car, turn on HVAC, unlock the charge port quickly, manage Sentry mode. In addition, the actions are customizable and you can choose your shortcuts! You also can create shortcuts for these actions and place them on your main screen.
Summaries are also displayed to allow you to follow consumption in Sentry mode for example, or vampire consumption in standby.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They say that... but given the Tesla API is what people think happens, nobody can be sure.

There is a "Wake" request in the API that can be sent to the car, but that doesn't mean its the only way to cause it to wake up.
Update :

Car managed to sleep from 5.30pm until 7am with no nocturnal waking last night.

I didn't opt for the nuclear option of changing my tesla password to deny access to the various apps but using that theory, I force closed every tesla-related app just in case one of them was running in the background and periodically accessing the car and that seems to have worked.

The only two apps I didn't force close (stop) were the main tesla app and tesla advanced notifications.

The ones I force closed were ABRP (a better route planner), My Tesla Core and Schedule for Tesla, so I am assuming that one of these apps is the culprit! In future I will force close those apps after I have used them.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Good stuff. You could try leaving the odd one running and see if you can find the culprit. Pretty much every Tesla app is hobbiest developed using a reverse engineered and undocumented (by tesla) API so things are going to go wrong or be slightly unexpected to what they think.

As an aside, its also why I don't use any of them myself as its hobbiest security of your info. Ironically the one app that tried to implement it all in the phone and call the Tesla API directly from the App (so you credentials were only on your phone) got blocked by Apple for using end points the app didn't own, as a result they are all having to move to intermediate servers if they didn't before increasing the security risk.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good stuff. You could try leaving the odd one running and see if you can find the culprit. Pretty much every Tesla app is hobbiest developed using a reverse engineered and undocumented (by tesla) API so things are going to go wrong or be slightly unexpected to what they think.

As an aside, its also why I don't use any of them myself as its hobbiest security of your info. Ironically the one app that tried to implement it all in the phone and call the Tesla API directly from the App (so you credentials were only on your phone) got blocked by Apple for using end points the app didn't own, as a result they are all having to move to intermediate servers if they didn't before increasing the security risk.
Yes, I thought long and hard before using apps like Tesla Advanced Notification and the Tesla Tasker plugin but I've set up 2 factor authentication on my Tesla account which I hope will mitigate the risk and the apps are just too darn convenient. It's a shame the Tesla app isn't better than it is and isn't on a par with the rest of the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts