Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive up and down the J4a - J2 average speed section of the M3 each week and have found that setting the speed limiter to 51mph is the optimum. Setting it higher causes regular audible warnings.

When I came down the M3 yesterday, I noticed that they had raised the speed limit to 55mph near Farnborough. So I stepped the limiter up, but immediately the audible warnings started, so I had to revert to 51mph. I don't know if the speed limits registered within the R-Link unit are part of the maps, or if they are constantly updated. I'm concerned that when the work finishes (Summer 2017 supposedly) and the 70mph limit is restored, I won't be able to drive at that speed without the constant warnings.

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can switch off all of the warnings, but not just the average speed ones. I find the others useful.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,386 Posts
I think speed limits are build into the map, and are never updated. I know of a couple of roads where the warnings think a road is a 60mph when they were dropped to 40mph a couple of years ago.

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But this is a temporary speed limit, so it may be different. It shows 70 on the top left of the screen, and an average speed icon, which it must know is 50mph.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,386 Posts
Or your speed camera subscription is active and it's pinging at you for average speed camera?

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't paid for speed camera warnings; perhaps it's included for life? If so, it'll hopefully get updated and the problem will go away.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,386 Posts
I haven't paid for speed camera warnings; perhaps it's included for life? If so, it'll hopefully get updated and the problem will go away.
Once it's expired it still works, just doesn't update. So maybe it's reporting on the speed limit as of the day before it expires.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
70mph limit is restored
I suspect the M25 to M3 Lightwater and probably further will remain 50mph. They never reverted the M25 to M3 area back to 70 after the road works several years ago and I'll bet someone has pointed out what a bonus this is for traffic flow.

I use the M4 a fair bit and that is due to go 'smart' from Reading to the M25. That is a much longer stretch than the M3 bit they have done. I do hope the have perfected 'smarting' a motorway so the process speeds up a bit.

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But they've already raised one section near Farnborough to 55mph, even though the hard shoulder (4th lane) is still coned off.

I've never seen a non-round number (e.g. 30, 40, 50 etc.) for the speed limit in the UK before.

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I came down the same section of the M3 yesterday, and the speed limit is back to 50 mph. But the good news is that the roadworks are finished and 4 lanes are available in both directions. There was a sign to say that the 50 mph speed limit will remain during commissioning. The gantry displays are not yet active.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts