Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but has anyone come across an issue being reported by some owners where the AC system starts giving off a pungent and unpleasant odour? I believe some people have tried replacing the filters but there are suggestions it is a design issue with the function designed to avoid excessive heat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't have the car yet, but heard that if you run it just as 'fan' mode without the AC on for a minute or two before switching off, it will clear out any condensation inside the ducts. We have a Lexus and it can have a damp smell when you switch it on, if it has stood overnight, so learned to switch off AC on approach to our house, run the fans for a bit and make sure it is on outside air mode and not 'circulate', so that the vents stay open while it is parked. Helps.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not directly related to your question. But my I-PACE used to smell like cat biscuits (irony) due to a weird smell from the AC. It got stronger when the vehicle was reversing. I have no idea what this was, but I blasted out the AC full pelt for a while and it seems to have cleared off.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've not noticed any smell, but it's not been that hot lately to need AC running full pelt, which I assume would build up moisture and possibly cause the smell. It's fairly common for aircon to smell if it's not used a lot. I'll keep my nose open

·
Registered
21 Posts
It was mentioned in a recent US tesla podcast that it was due to an aluminium rather than copper coil and that Tesla were aware and were going to update the software to run the fans automatically after switching off to blow out the moisture. Just changing the filters was not enough. (note, my comments are from my recollection of the Elon Daily podcast and therefore may not be perfect ).:oops:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but has anyone come across an issue being reported by some owners where the AC system starts giving off a pungent and unpleasant odour? I believe some people have tried replacing the filters but there are suggestions it is a design issue with the function designed to avoid excessive heat.
Yes.. Supposedly an issue in humid locations and fix via a software up date.. and saw this timely tweet today..

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
They just need to switch off the fart mode in the easter eggs....!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its common issue with almost all AC systems.
tl;dr: It's a good practice to switch off AC maybe 10 minutes before you arrive home and run just fans.

Evaporator gets cold as part of AC operation and as air is blown around it - it will condense moisture from the air on it.
If you get home and switch car off - evaporator will stay wet for many hours, leading to bacteria and fungus growh. This is what makes bad AC smell.
This can be completly avoided by switching OFF AC few minutes before arrival and running just fans. Fans will dry the evaporator and bacteria will not build there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
11 Participants
Irek Zielinski
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing