Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interesting trip by ZOE driver Tim Hill on twitter today that you can follow on Glympse. The estimated journey time in an ICE is 6 hours (google maps).

Left Battersby at 08:05.

Arrived Worthing at 19:10.

Journey time 10.5 hours.

Typical speed according to Glympse 50 to 60 mph.

Number of en route charging locations 7.

Number rapid charging failures 2 - M1 Woodall (south) and Northampton M1 J15A.

IMG_3488.JPG

·
Registered
394 Posts
If I worked at a motorway services I think I'd be wondering why so many EV drivers take pictures of their cars charging, hehe

On his map, are the white circles his planned stops ? So 7 legs over 342 miles or have I got that wrong ?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On his map, are the white circles his planned stops ? So 7 legs over 342 miles or have I got that wrong ?
Correct... two rapid charge failures so far but a 22kW Type 2 and enough range to drive onto the next services saved the day :)

·
Banned
558 Posts
Very impressive - what a difference the Zoe's range makes! Twice as fast as the iMiev (or Leaf Mk1).
Who said BEVs were no good for long range!
It's easy!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glympse has expired and some interesting tracks at Pease Pottage during last few minutes... not sure if this is a Glympse issue or problem with the charging :confused:

ZOE_Mad_EV_Trip.png

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Well done @ElecHighway 340 miles N Yorks to Worthing without a hitch. 86kWhr, 9.5 hrs, 7 charges. Result."

"my mistake 10.5hrs. Left 0805 and arrived 1835. Glympse started before I left and expired."

"2 rapid charger failures. M1 Woodall (south) and Northampton M1 jn 15a."

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My advice to anyone attempting these trips in future is tweet photo at start and end with location turned on so that third parties can verify claimed times. I also recommend tools like glimpse are setup to run for much longer than the predicted journey time :)

·
Banned
558 Posts
My advice to anyone attempting these trips in future is tweet photo at start and end with location ..
Dont disagree; however, if it's not an A-B dash - then en route photos would also be interesting! We don't want every EV stop to become like a Le Man's change-over! An EV detour by A-road (better still B-road) will improve's the EV experience and does great things for the range!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Glympse only allows you to activate 4 hours at a time so you have to keep extending the time the Glympse is active or it expires. I got into the habit of always extending the Glympse time at every stop whether it needed it or not and that way I never forgot.

Also, if you have the pro version you can turn on logging and it records your location at set intervals which you can download later and display on a map as a KML file etc. I haven't done it myself yet but I will be doing this for my next big trip.

I love Glympse for trips like this :)

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Hi folks. Just joined the forum and chuffed to see that my mad antics have already been clocked by you all.

Suffice to say that I made it home again. 327.5 miles in 10h10 mins ( 7h17m driving). 70kwh. 6 (successful) rapid charges. 4.6mpkwh.

Very impressed with the ability of Zoe to do long haul too. Shall I write up more detail?

Reactions: Paul

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Glympse has expired and some interesting tracks at Pease Pottage during last few minutes... not sure if this is a Glympse issue or problem with the charging :confused:

View attachment 359
This wasn't a problem with Glympse - rather the opposite - I had a 5 month old puppy with me for the trip and so took him for a walk around the car park with my 'phone in my pocket!

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Glympse only allows you to activate 4 hours at a time so you have to keep extending the time the Glympse is active or it expires. I got into the habit of always extending the Glympse time at every stop whether it needed it or not and that way I never forgot.

Also, if you have the pro version you can turn on logging and it records your location at set intervals which you can download later and display on a map as a KML file etc. I haven't done it myself yet but I will be doing this for my next big trip.

I love Glympse for trips like this :)
I agree, Glympse is great - except for the problem of 4 hr max. I remembered to renew on the way home (following your advice) but alas it expired on the way south...

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay
1 - 20 of 20 Posts