Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a spec sheet/manual for the Mainpine 32Amp EPC I could have?

Also, the NuWorld website says -

Supports additional features such as variable charging rates via SolarSwitch™. Change the speed at which your car is charging using an external driver, such as solar power generation.

Is this just the various fixed resistances that set the charging rate? Or is there more?

Cheers!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Send an e-mail to [email protected], and we can get you a manual.

The Mainpine EPC has an "IC" terminal which allows the assembly to include a resistor or potentiometer to modify the solicited current in the pilot signal. So, if you have a 32A EPC you can use IC to throttle the solicited current down to, say, 6A, where the PV solar can supply the feed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Lee Howard One more question if I may?

The manual doesn't state how tight the tolerances on the resistance values are. Is there a percentage it has to be within? Or is it a sliding scale? E.g. If I put 198Ohms on it, what happens? Will be out of spec (and what happens then?) or will I get a 6.5Amp charge?

Cheers!

·
Registered
707 Posts
IC resistance values are a kind-of sliding scale. 198 ohms will result in a 7A or 6A pilot depending on whether you're sliding from above or sliding from below because there is hysteresis employed on the measured resistance.

I could do the math, but as you move the resistance one way it will trip to the next amperage on the pilot, and to return the pilot back you'd need to return the resistance some degree before it will flip back. So as you move the IC resistance around the values are a bit "sticky" to make it tolerant of switches and imperfections in resistors. The pilot "snaps" into place... if that makes sense.

Per spec the PP resistances have a tolerance of +/- 3%. We strived to permit the same tolerances on IC where possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts