Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the factors in my decision to buy my 2019 eGolf was the salesman said the first maintenance wasn't due for 1 year or 10k miles because there's no oil to change or spark plugs or moving engine parts. I factored that into my estimate of operating costs before I bought the car.

Now, here I am 4 months after buying the car, and this week it started displaying a warning message that pops up with a wrench icon telling me 27 days until "due for inspection."

What the heck? Am I now faced with a decision of taking the car in and paying for an "inspection" that I hadn't factored into my budget or just driving around with a warning message always on? I'm going to be really annoyed if after the 27 days expires it has some yellow warning light continuously on the dash.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How many miles have you done? And why would it want a routine inspection at five months?!

Here in the UK it's two years or 20k miles for first service, then 10k miles or annually thereafter.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,029 Posts
the salesman said the first maintenance wasn't due for 1 year or 10k miles
He's wrong, it's 18/20k or 2 years as Jayne has said. I would take it back and ask them to set the service interval correctly. There's a page on the VW website that says the service is 18k or 2 years and in early 2018 it was 20k or 2 years.

It seems the service interval is set by the suppliying dealer and they don't all know what the service schedule is.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My dealer told me the interval starts when the car is built, not sold. On my car it seems to be two years, not sure about mileage. I will get tires rotated every 10,000 miles, if nothing else.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,029 Posts
Update after the service. We actually paid £105.13 and the app is showing next service due in 364 days or 20000 miles.

They couldn't find anything wrong with the suspension, I'll have to look into that further.
We are also getting a message on the screen asking for a pin number most times we start the car with a linked iPhone in the car. They had no idea what that was. It freezes the infotainment system so really need to get rid of that one. I'm on andriod so it's ok when I'm on my own but for my wife she is stuck with the radio on the last channel she was listrning to.
Anyone else experienced that?

·
Registered
705 Posts
As an aside, I think maintenance schedules might be different in the States. My 2016 Mustang always pops up with service required at 6 months. It's not required in the UK, confirmed by Ford UK and I just reset it and get it serviced at 12 months. That doesn't help Kevin's question I know, but it might explain why his salesman said 1 year or 10K, maybe?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I emailed VW customer services in the UK and they backed the dealer in stating the first service on a Fixed priced service plan for a 2019 egolf is 12 months. They claim the information in the online info is wrong and is due to be updated.

I have resigned myself to a pointless inspection service at 12 months. At least my fixed price plan includes AA cover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I emailed VW customer services in the UK and they backed the dealer in stating the first service on a Fixed priced service plan for a 2019 egolf is 12 months. They claim the information in the online info is wrong and is due to be updated.

I have resigned myself to a pointless inspection service at 12 months. At least my fixed price plan includes AA cover.
I have recently been contacted by my dealer about a service at the 1 year mark. The app (We Connect) says, at today's date 18400 miles / 318 days.
I told my dealer that I wasn't due a service and she said 'OK, I'll update our information'.
This sounds like a quite reasonable response.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have recently been contacted by my dealer about a service at the 1 year mark. The app (We Connect) says, at today's date 18400 miles / 318 days.
I told my dealer that I wasn't due a service and she said 'OK, I'll update our information'.
This sounds like a quite reasonable response.
Is your car still under warranty? The reason I ask is if the dealer is wrong and it should be serviced, there could be issues.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Update after the service. We actually paid £105.13 and the app is showing next service due in 364 days or 20000 miles.

They couldn't find anything wrong with the suspension, I'll have to look into that further.
We are also getting a message on the screen asking for a pin number most times we start the car with a linked iPhone in the car. They had no idea what that was. It freezes the infotainment system so really need to get rid of that one. I'm on andriod so it's ok when I'm on my own but for my wife she is stuck with the radio on the last channel she was listrning to.
Anyone else experienced that?
Jesus two years on and still confusion over two year service ,I have just spoken two two dealerships over a first service service,(ah its two years old due your first service Sir ) the problem is about money and dealers want yours. By the way different dealers quoted £128 and £ 109.00 not sure if I get a coffee. Regarding the problem with the iphone recent? any time around a software upgrade from apple.
I assume you have deleted phones from car and started again.
We have android and iphone and no problems.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,029 Posts

I think you will find VW customer services are wrong, I will be very surprised if the website changes. There were questions about this 2 years ago when some of us were taking delivery of the first 35kWh e-Golfs and 2 years was correct for the first service, confirmed by most dealers. A few dealers did insist it needed a service after a year, thay can't both be correct. A few people had the car and app saying it needed a service after 1 year most changed it to 2 years when questioned about it. After the first service VW are saying 1 year or 18/20k miles.

In reports around the time of the launch of the ID there were VW staff saying that EV's don't need the same service schedules as ICE and that their EV's were going to have longer service intervals. If their diesel cars are OK on a long life service plan of 20k miles then an EV should be even longer.

All our car had changed at 40k was the pollen filter replaced and Od. filter, whatever that is. At 20k it was inspection only, nothing else is recorded as being done.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,029 Posts
Regarding the problem with the iphone recent? any time around a software upgrade from apple.
I assume you have deleted phones from car and started again.
We have android and iphone and no problems.
Not sure about the updates, it started a long time ago but only very occasionally. Shortly after it started happening we swapped cars and it was rarely an issue.
My wife has deleted her phone but hadn't reconnected it last time I mentioned it so maybe that will sort it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of the factors in my decision to buy my 2019 eGolf was the salesman said the first maintenance wasn't due for 1 year or 10k miles because there's no oil to change or spark plugs or moving engine parts. I factored that into my estimate of operating costs before I bought the car.

Now, here I am 4 months after buying the car, and this week it started displaying a warning message that pops up with a wrench icon telling me 27 days until "due for inspection."

What the heck? Am I now faced with a decision of taking the car in and paying for an "inspection" that I hadn't factored into my budget or just driving around with a warning message always on? I'm going to be really annoyed if after the 27 days expires it has some yellow warning light continuously on the dash.

You can reset the e-golf by (sic): power-down the car (if keyless); turn on the hazard lights, press the brake pedal at the same time as holding down the 0.0 trip reset button. Power up the car and as soon as you see the Reset Service Interval message appear in the central binnacle, release the button and within 2-secs press again to reset and confirm. At first I thought someone was having a laugh on how to do this on YouTube. But it works.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had my first service at 13000miles and 26 months (a bit late because of Covid) in August at Western Newcraighall Edinburgh, cost £143. No software update, as VW don’t do this as routine unless car has faults which require an update, but a comprehensive list of checks done, and a new pollen filter. They set the next service for 1095 days and 18900 miles, but this should be 12 months/10k miles, as it is due a brake fluid change anyway every 3 years, and an MOT. They will reset the service interval then!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That's some service interval @PaulM17!

Mine was into Inverness for it's second service on Thur at 30k miles. Almost exactly 10k miles and 1 year since the first service.

£130 for an inspection, new pollen filter, washing the outside and an apology they couldn't clean the inside because of covid. Oh, and fiddling with my tyre pressures.

I am wondering how I've gone from 10% brake wear at 20k miles to 30% at 30k miles though. And they measured my tyre tread as 5mm all round. How am I supposed to justify new winter tyres this year when there's that much tread left on my Cross Climates?! My cheapy measurer doodah said it was 4mm...

They've set the next service for 12 months or 20k miles. Unfortunately the MOT is due in eight months. So, if brake fluid needs done at thee years as well, then it looks like my next service will be rather early.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don’t think they gave me brake pad wear data. I also didn’t get any traction battery data/loss etc. Did you get any battery info? Wonder if they do these checks; can’t believe it varies so much with the dealership! I’m still on my initial tyres with 5mm on fronts and 7mm on rears!

Such a great EV though, and so many more around in Edinburgh now!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No battery info unfortunately. Was going to ask, but forgot. As to the variability, my first service was in Dundee and cost £159 for a bog standard service. I did get them to swap the front and back wheels around to try and keep tyre wear more even, but that was apparently "free".

I changed from stock to cross climates somewhere around 10k miles/six months, I think. They still had loads of tread, but I found grip in the wet to be poor and didn't want to risk frosty/snowy weather with them. Originally I'd planned to put them on again to try and wear them out over summer, but then covid happened and they're still sitting taking up space in my garage. I really don't think I'm going to use them now.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
That's some service interval @PaulM17!

Mine was into Inverness for it's second service on Thur at 30k miles. Almost exactly 10k miles and 1 year since the first service.

£130 for an inspection, new pollen filter, washing the outside and an apology they couldn't clean the inside because of covid. Oh, and fiddling with my tyre pressures.

I am wondering how I've gone from 10% brake wear at 20k miles to 30% at 30k miles though. And they measured my tyre tread as 5mm all round. How am I supposed to justify new winter tyres this year when there's that much tread left on my Cross Climates?! My cheapy measurer doodah said it was 4mm...

They've set the next service for 12 months or 20k miles. Unfortunately the MOT is due in eight months. So, if brake fluid needs done at thee years as well, then it looks like my next service will be rather early.
Regarding the brake pad wear, I would not pay to much attention to what they have stated.
It’s a visual inspection only with the road wheels in place.
So it’s more like guess work.
“They LOOK about 10% worn”.
Unless they psychology remove the pads and measure them ( which they are not going to do ) then it’s stab in the dark measurement.
Unless you have been driving like you stole it recently. LOL.
If the time between the brake fluid change and the service interval is fairly close, I would consider leaving the brake fluid change until the service is due.
The service interval on an EV is already to close together in my opinion, reducing it even further just to match the three year brake fluid change appears to be a waste of money to me ?.
The service indicator will be set to call the car for service earlier than the required date / mileage anyway.
My car would be calling for its service at about 6 weeks before it was actually due, It is common practice for the tech’s to set the service counter earlier than required.
Money spinner !.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.