Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still waiting for delivery of my first EV, I wanted to be prepared for the sundries I'd need for day-to-day maintenance of the car.
This may be a silly question but I wondered how they might differ from an ICE that needs engine oil, water/coolant, screen wash, additives, steering/clutch/brake fluid etc?
What does an EV require?

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,781 Posts
Still waiting for delivery of my first EV, I wanted to be prepared for the sundries I'd need for day-to-day maintenance of the car.
This may be a silly question but I wondered how they might differ from an ICE that needs engine oil, water/coolant, screen wash, additives, steering/clutch/brake fluid etc?
What does an EV require?
Electric! It’s all in the name ;) The beauty of an EV is that you don’t need much maintenance paraphernalia. Will your’s be new, or previously owned?

Apart from screen wash, just keep an eye on the brake fluid level and buy top up if required. The fluid needs to be replaced every so many years. Doubt you’ll need to top up in between. Will you service II yourself? If so, a new cabin air filter is probably the only consumable you’ll need. The rest is just checks.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for confirmation on this, E7EV. I just thought that an EV wouldn't require engine oil but because it still has moving parts, these might need a different kind of attention.
The car I will be leasing for 3 years is a Hyundai Ioniq, I placed the order in January and still have a 3-month wait. The car will be annually serviced by a garage so fluid levels are likely to remain stable in each 12 month period.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Best to purchase a battery hygrometer to keep on top of these new fangled lithium battery state of charge …… just kidding of course.

What you might want if you are at all nerdy is an OBDII Bluetooth scanner so that you can see all sorts of vehicle parameters beyond what the dashboard lets you know.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh -
3,958 Posts
Accurate and balanced tyre pressures are more critical in an EV more so than and ICE vehicle if optimum range is going to be constantly achieved. (under inflated tyres add considerably to the drag and have a adverse effect range)

It is very worth while investing in a 12V tyre compressor (digital one's are the easiest to use) this makes it easier to check and adjust the tyre pressures at home when the tyres are cold, on a regular basis.

I started off by doing the tyre pressures at the local garage which was problematic as sometimes there was a queue, money jammed in the slot etc. much more efficient to do it at home is possible.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
37,855 Posts
What does an EV require?
In winter, softer, more expensive windscreen wipers and higher mix concentrations of washer fluid.

Other than that, much the same. But keep any eye out for failing 12V batteries, and doing a manual trickle charge on it every so often is not a bad idea if you seem to be having peculiar glitches and seemingly inexplicable low battery voltage.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,131 Posts
In winter, softer, more expensive windscreen wipers and higher mix concentrations of washer fluid.
Quite agree. Probably the major expense on both Zoe was the windscreen wipers. They would form a little notch in the driver's side blade about an inch outside your line of sight and form an arc which would dry and leave a mark.

Tyres, which don't last very long on other EV, would last 30,000 miles if rotated front to back.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
37,855 Posts
As the battery is low in the car you'll find bottom quarks are best.
Though I like the idea of the charm ones.
Would you say a low battery therefore has all down-electrons?

If you have all down-electrons in your battery and feel your quantum angular momentum is a bit lopsided going around a roundabout, try adding some high quality spin-up electrons! If you don't know how to balance your electrons, just ask a boson.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.