Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any common ones we should know about?
The only one I have experienced is the drive shaft clicking on acceleration/deceleration, fixed under warranty.
What other non trivial problems have all Leaf owners had and, if not fixed under warranty, what was the cost of repair?

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,126 Posts
Personally, I have only had to take it back for the drive shaft splines clicking, both the 40 and the 62, LOL - touch wood, hasn't comes back once fixed.

I know some on here have reported the charging port flap flying up whilst driving, but not sure if that is a temperamental closing mechanism or just not closing it properly with enough pressure. When I had the 40, had to really push down hard to make sure it was closed, hasn't been a problem or issue on the 62.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
Personally, I have only had to take it back for the drive shaft splines clicking, both the 40 and the 62, LOL - touch wood, hasn't comes back once fixed.

I know some on here have reported the charging port flap flying up whilst driving, but not sure if that is a temperamental closing mechanism or just not closing it properly with enough pressure. When I had the 40, had to really push down hard to make sure it was closed, hasn't been a problem or issue on the 62.
Yep, I had the port door come open but it does need a firm push. Not had it happen again, otherwise only the drive shaft clicking.

I chose a Leaf because there were negligible reports on here of problems. Whereas most other brands had, and in some cases are still having, software and other issues which should not be happening.

To me, one major problem is far more preferable to having loads of niggles requiring endless dealer visits and in some cases leading to the owner rejecting the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I've had 3 Leafs since 2015 and only two problems.

The drive shaft click thing on my 40kWh.

There was an issue with all early 30kWh Leafs that meant every single one needed a new TCU fitting before the app would work.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so far. By all Leaf owners, what I meant, and should have said, was owners of all Leaf models. I was trying to see if perhaps the older ZE0 models had begun to cost big bucks to repair and whether this indicated problems ahead for newer models. I would include battery degradation in the non-trivial problems list if someone had had to fork out for the battery repair/replacement themselves. Really so far it's looking pretty good for the Leaf, and that has also been my experience.
Did just spring to mind though that I've had 3 pothole damaged tyres in Leafs in the last six years and none in any of my previous cars in 35 years.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
Thanks so far. By all Leaf owners, what I meant, and should have said, was owners of all Leaf models. I was trying to see if perhaps the older ZE0 models had begun to cost big bucks to repair and whether this indicated problems ahead for newer models. I would include battery degradation in the non-trivial problems list if someone had had to fork out for the battery repair/replacement themselves. Really so far it's looking pretty good for the Leaf, and that has also been my experience.
Did just spring to mind though that I've had 3 pothole damaged tyres in Leafs in the last six years and none in any of my previous cars in 35 years.
Brexit potholes - really deep.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
My electronic parking brake failed, that was quite expensive. First the controller got replaced and then the whole braking assembly. I’ve also needed some brake discs (they just go rusty).

·
Registered
BMW i3
485 Posts
One of our Leafs had a problem with the head unit - when the car was locked it would sometimes open and shut constantly, until the battery was drained.

Thankfully replaced under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
One of our Leafs had a problem with the head unit - when the car was locked it would sometimes open and shut constantly, until the battery was drained.

Thankfully replaced under the extended warranty.
Sorry by head, I thought you were referring to SWBO's incessant waffling for a moment.;)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My electronic parking brake failed, that was quite expensive. First the controller got replaced and then the whole braking assembly. I’ve also needed some brake discs (they just go rusty).
I think this is the sort of issue I was mostly concerned with, ie unexpected failures that cost money. My son's Renault had an electronic parking brake that failed which would have cost £1K to fix. He got rid of the car instead.
My current Leaf Tekna has one and although it is very convenient, it is difficult to decide if it is a necessary feature.
How old was your Leaf when the brake failed?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Are there any common ones we should know about?
The only one I have experienced is the drive shaft clicking on acceleration/deceleration, fixed under warranty.
What other non trivial problems have all Leaf owners had and, if not fixed under warranty, what was the cost of repair?
I had zero non-trivial problems with Leafs. 2014 to 2021. 24, 30 and 40 models.
All UK built and good up to when sold at three years and under.
On the trivial side there were a couple of rattles which I got used to, a creaky driver mirror fold, and a blown speaker.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Oh yeah, the creaking wing mirrors when you press the retract button (is that auto close on the 40,62 models?) that got fixed at the same service / MOT as the front struts, as it had been creaking for months. A very common thing to fix for the 24,30s I was told by my Nissan tech.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
Oh yeah, the creaking wing mirrors when you press the retract button (is that auto close on the 40,62 models?) that got fixed at the same service / MOT as the front struts, as it had been creaking for months. A very common thing to fix for the 24,30s I was told by my Nissan tech.
A quick squirt of WD40 will sort it. I've done this on many of my vehicles with folding mirrors.

·
Registered
486 Posts
No doubt, what do dealers do? replace the whole mirror assembly (thankfully under warranty otherwise I would have declined their non investigation fix)

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
No doubt, what do dealers do? replace the whole mirror assembly (thankfully under warranty otherwise I would have declined their non investigation fix)
I doubt they would replace a mirror because it creaks when it just needs lubricating.
Was yours replaced?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts