Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just discovered that there has been a major water leak into the rear boot well. About half a buckets worth of water has collected under the accessory tray . IMG_20200227_120455.jpg
Well worth checking if you have a similar problem. This may explain one of the reasons for having to demist the car so often.
My car is kept outside so has been rained on a lot lately. I noticed a drip coming into the right hand rear side pocket in the boot this morning and the carpet was wet in the bottom of the side pocket.
I removed the floor and rear accessory tray to discover substantial amounts of (clean) water IMG_20200227_121054.jpg IMG_20200227_121355.jpg

The car is booked on monday for investigation. Looking at the covers fitted near the rear lights inside the rear hatch I am not too impressed that they are water proof but this may not be the problem.
Anyone had this yet?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts
This has cropped up on the FB group, general consensus is you've not closed your boot lid properly. I may have seemed closed but it wasn't. Needs a firm skept shut not a gentle closing. ;)

You may have also noticed your door lock button on the drivers door flickering recently? Or a warning about hatch open?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts
So he was using the boot wrong?
Apparently. I think 2 members on the FB group reported similar issues, water in boot, along with other issues. Other issues were identified as not closing boot fully.... penny dropped!

·
Registered
117 Posts
i fitted my space saver wheel into the well 2 weeks ago and it bolts down in place , the hole is already there and seems to be the point water will get in , its ok for me now with the bolt blocking the hole

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am surprised that the consensus is not closing the boot....sounds to me like a garage fob off. There's only been one occasion that happened to me and I found it as soon as the ACC wouldn't engage.
Has anyone proven that a boot that is not fully closed will allow the water to get past the raised rubber gutter seal? ...I may try a hose test to see what happens myself.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts
I am surprised that the consensus is not closing the boot....sounds to me like a garage fob off. There's only been one occasion that happened to me and I found it as soon as the ACC wouldn't engage.
Has anyone proven that a boot that is not fully closed will allow the water to get past the raised rubber gutter seal? ...I may try a hose test to see what happens myself.
So your confirming that on least 1 occasion you didn't close the boot fully? That could be when the water got in?

Worth confirming testing with a hose, least you will know for certain. (y)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts
I’m surprised that closing the boot isn’t a compulsory part of the driving test.
Is it not? I thought you had to evidence how you change a tyres etc these days? Open boot, look under fake floor, curse there is no spare, tell the test instructor you would call the AA?

Reactions: cdlb and dk6780

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Only last week, a close friend of mine who owns a two year old Ford Focus that he has had from new, had really bad condensation in his car.
The said the front carpets where getting wet, the though he had a leak from the windscreen.
He gave the car to a reliable family tech to inspect the car.
He had the car for two days and said that when he checked the rear carpets, they where also wet !.
He then checked the boot and the wheel well was half full of water !!!!.
It had that much water in the boot, that when the car went over speed bumps, the water from the boot transferred right through the car !.
They checked the boot seal and all was okay.
They then checked the rear light units, all okay.
They then removed the rear bumper cover and then they discovered that behind the cover, there is two oblong plastic flapper boot vents fitted to each side of the car.
The housing had become distorted somehow, and allowed water to pass behind each of the housing bolted to the body panels.
All four units where changed and the car was water tested again, all now okay !.
It was a nightmare trying to dry out all of the interior.
Apparently, it’s a know problem on Fords !!!.
The car is parked facing down wards on a steep driveway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok chaps and chapesses
I have done a hose test on the rear hatch. I removed the interior bits and pieces under the rear floor checked all was dry closed the boot and ferociously hosed the back of the car trying to force water through the sealed areas for about 5 mins. I opened the boot and checked inside...dry as a bone.
I then deliberately left the door in a non closed position and repeated the exercise. After five mins I checked inside....dry as a bone.
If you have left the boot open in a non locked position obviously not wide open. ,The water still does not enter via the seals ,it runs down the side walls and flows out elsewhere.
I do not believe that even if you drove the car with a not secured boot that water will enter in any substantial amount into the boot area.

The ingress of the water I found is still a mystery

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,717 Posts
It’s probably leaking from a side window seal. Or worse from a roof gutter.

How does it look if you spray water at the side windows or roof?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The story of the new ford and the failure of the boot vents is an interesting one. I have driven the car in very heavy rain recently and if there is such vent system in the lower boot area then that could be something to look at. The hose tests do suggest that water may be entering from below somewhere rather than above. I may try blasting water on underside areas and see what happens but only when it gets warmer outside;)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,717 Posts
The story of the new ford and the failure of the boot vents is an interesting one. I have driven the car in very heavy rain recently and if there is such vent system in the lower boot area then that could be something to look at. The hose tests do suggest that water may be entering from below somewhere rather than above. I may try blasting water on underside areas and see what happens but only when it gets warmer outside;)
There usually are cabin exhaust vents in the rear of the car.

Maybe try removing some trim to find them and see if they are exposed to the elements?

·
Registered
135 Posts
If I drive at around 40mph and over in my MGB ragtop with all the windows closed in the rain, it sucks water in from places it doesn't rain in whilst stationary

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
E61 BMW with the panoramic roof have drains from the rear corners of the pano roof that end up behind the splash guards in the rear wheel wells. They are fitted with non-return valves apparently to prevent wee beasties crawling up them into the car. After a couple of years these valves get blocked and the drains don't, leading to water flowing down the inside of the panels covering the C pillars and ending up in the spare wheel well. Sadly this contains some very important, expensive and vulnerable electronics which then die at significant expense normally first shown by the rear air suspension failing.
Long story, but I believe that the ZS has a similar pano roof. If so, check the rear drains work.
The cure on the E61 was to reach into the trim inside the car above the rear wheel wells, grab the drain tube and pull hard so that the non-return valve falls off. This cures the problem and no-one to my knowledge has been inundated with a plague of wee beasties as a result.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
The story of the new ford and the failure of the boot vents is an interesting one.
There usually are cabin exhaust vents in the rear of the car.
I am pretty certain the ZS EV has them, because when you close one of the back doors quickly, you can hear the trapped air rush out of the vents.
It sounds like they are behind the rear bumper cover to me ?.
I think I have a couple of photo's of the Focus boot leak, let me check.
Boom ........ They are not great quality, sorry.
Also, I have found a video explaining how these vents allow water into the car that maybe useful ??.

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

Here is the video.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Carty for the very informative video. I am hoping to speak to MG technician today and determine if the ZS has a similar boot venting mechanism.
It is peeing down with rain at the moment so the car is getting a good static water test, I will investigate further and keep all advised

1 - 20 of 45 Posts