Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
The weather has been terrible around here lately, and I took the car for a little swim through some heavy flooding the other day, and the boot is dry. I will keep an eye and am interested to see what you find out from the dealer. However, it is nice to own a car that is still in warranty again :)

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Thanks Carty for the very informative video. I am hoping to speak to MG technician today and determine if the ZS has a similar boot venting mechanism.
It is peeing down with rain at the moment so the car is getting a good static water test, I will investigate further and keep all advised
I am fairly confident that the ZS EV has a similar boot vent config as many modern cars today.
You can hear some type of a flap being opened when you stand outside of the rear drivers door, then close it quite quickly.
All the other doors and the boot has to be closed.
As the rear door closes, the air trapped inside the car has no where to escape.
If you listen very carefully, you can just about hear the flaps being pushed open.
The sound is very brief, but you can hear it !.
Pure guess hear, but I think the flaps maybe located in a similar place as the Focus, behind the rear bumper cover.
It’s amazing how much water can invade the boot via these vents.
This may not be the leak on your car, but I may just put an each way bet on this being the problem.
You have done an extensive home water test and and found no issues, so interested to hear what the dealer thinks.
Should not be to hard to find, put somebody in the boot and hit it with a hose pipe.
Start at the bottom and work up towards the roof.
NOT top to bottom !.
If it’s the boot vents it should show before you get to the rear wiper.
Make sure they hose around each corner as far as both back doors.
Keep making slow passes with the hose pipe and raising the water line by a few inches on every pass !.
Water ingress has been found via the rear wiper motor on OTHER models as well !.
Good luck, and keep us informed.
Weather is dreadful here in Wales at the moment, I popped out to make a quick check on my boot last night.
As best as I could see, all looks dry.
I will pull out the spare and double check when there is a break in the weather.
P.S. - Just ensure there is not a hose pipe ban in your area first, we could be running low on water !.:oops:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay more rain this morning and water is coming in on the rear offside via the offside boot pocket. It is quite a significant leak.
IMG_20200228_131525.jpg IMG_20200228_131543.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I did take a video but the size of it is too large to post. The rain gets in even when the car is parked. I tried to see if the side panels are easy to remove but could not get very far with that and didnt want to force anything

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Okay more rain this morning and water is coming in on the rear offside via the offside boot pocket. It is quite a significant leak.
View attachment 128214 View attachment 128215
I assume that is without driving the car? It suggests something relatively high up is letting the water in.

It is frighteningly like the symptoms of the E61 BMW blocked panoramic sunroof drains, and looking at the pictures of the car on the MG website everything lines up. Can you get to the rear drains by tilting the rear roof section on the MG? If so, check whether water is successfully running away from them by powering water in the area and seeing if it appears in the boot pocket. On the BMW, given that the water didn't go down the tubes it overflowed from the area around the pano roof and flowed down the C pillar. Removing the trim there and you could chart its progress.

Edited to add - I saw your post about not wanting to force the trim, but the top of the C pillar trim normally pulls away simply.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I think we can rule out the boot vents now !.
It leaking a lot higher than that.
It’s on the O/S/R - this maybe worth a check !.
The rubber boot that carry’s the wiring loom from the boot lid to the frame of the car.
Just opened the boot on my car and the water pours down over this grommet !.
Try lifting up the outer edge of this boot with a plastic tool and make sure the inner seal is sitting correctly.

C224230B-685E-4ED2-91E5-53110EBD39D6.jpeg

·
Zoe Devotee
8,736 Posts
I think we can rule out the boot vents now !.
It leaking a lot higher than that.
It’s on the O/S/R - this maybe worth a check !.
The rubber boot that carry’s the wiring loom from the boot lid to the frame of the car.
Just opened the boot on my car and the water pours down over this grommet !.
Try lifting up the outer edge of this boot with a plastic tool and make sure the inner seal is sitting correctly.
Definitely a good place to start. Personally I'd pull the bung up a bit and smear something water replant around it and re-seat and see if it fixes. My dad has a similar issue on his Skoda Kodiak, but rather than peeing into the boot it soaked into the roof liner. :eek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I had a Ford C-Max that had this problem it took the main dealer three attempts to find the leak. They eventually traced to a poorly fitted roof rail.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
HI all

I have managed to get some of the rear roof trim and side trim loosened enough to trace the water leak. It is coming in from the rear of the sun roof as you can see water on the top of the roof liner.
It only seems to occurr in heavy rain but is a persistant leak and quite alot of water eventually finds its way down the inside of the offside rear trim and via the rear sidepocket into the wheel well.
I have arranged a towel,sponge and collecting vessel to catch most of the water whilst I await the garage repair on th 17th March.
Couldnt get a camera into the small gap to get pictures unfortunately.
Also need a new windscreen now as a stone has cracked it....Autoglass dont have any in stock of course..:(

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
HI all

I have managed to get some of the rear roof trim and side trim loosened enough to trace the water leak. It is coming in from the rear of the sun roof as you can see water on the top of the roof liner.
It only seems to occurr in heavy rain but is a persistant leak and quite alot of water eventually finds its way down the inside of the offside rear trim and via the rear sidepocket into the wheel well.
I have arranged a towel,sponge and collecting vessel to catch most of the water whilst I await the garage repair on th 17th March.
Couldnt get a camera into the small gap to get pictures unfortunately.
Also need a new windscreen now as a stone has cracked it....Autoglass dont have any in stock of course..:(
You are not having a very good week - sorry !.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Pass on what I said about the E61 BMW issue to the garage. The problem sounds identical with the non return valve at the bottom of the drain blocking. It allows enough water through for light rain but in heavy rain the drain can't cope and it overflows into the car from the back of the cassette of the sunroof.
I hope that your replacement windscreen arrives soon.

·
Registered
678 Posts
We have had your permanently misted rear window from the start. However, no water in the wheel well as far as I can see...

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi All
Thanks for your help and advice
I have used an endoscopic camera to explore the space between the roof trim and the inside of the car roof and something revealing has shown up.
It appears there is alot of drill swarf hanging down at one point suggesting a bad drilling was made when attaching the sunroof to the car. I attach a still image from the video that was made.
I will try and explore this area further when I have more time Screenshot_2020-02-29-18-44-10-217_com.miui.videoplayer.png

I will also endeavour to determine if this is associated with water ingress
watch this space

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Interesting! The bottom line though is that the garage are going to have a very difficult job rectifying this as they will have to get the full roof lining out to do any repairs in that area.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Somebody on You Tube has fitted an LED light strip around the surround of their sun roof, if If I remember correctly, he released the inner edge of the sun roof all the way around.
I looked like it was held up with either clips or some type of Velcro system ?.
Just found the link !.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A Eureka Moment at Last!

Thanks to all for your advice and ideas but I am 90% sure I have found and fixed my problem.

I discovered this afternoon that ther are two fastenings at the rear of the roof liner that when given a tug allow the rear part of the roof liner to be dropped down far enough to reveal the
rear of the interior sun roof mechanism. This then allowed me to see that there are two blue pipes that attach to each side of the sunroof assembly. These pipes route down the rear pillars to expel any water that accumulates in the sunroof gutters. The Offside pipe had become detatched from its spiggot and was effectively allowing any drain water to run into the liner and then find its way down into the rear boot well. The pipe was an easy push fit onto the spiggot and I feel confident it should now be water tight.
It passes the hosepipe test but I will verify and sign off the snag after the next good downpour .

Here are some pictures of the detatched pipe Detached Hose 1.png

and how it should look when connected Drain hose offside.jpg

There is a pipe for each side.

I don't think my theory of a mis drilled hole has anything to do with this problem so I shall let that one go.

One thing to be careful of if you need to drop the roof liner down is that if you don't bend it too sharply or it will leave a crease. I have unfortunately got a couple of creases at the back , maybe they will straighten out after time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Well done finding the leak. I had one of the rear drain tubes on the sunroof come adrift on a Honda Accord once causing a leak... at 12 years old though, not brand new!

On any car with a sunroof with drain pipes its a good idea to occasionally (once a year) use a measuring jug to pour a small amount of water down the drains and make sure it comes out in the wheel arches as the pipes can also get blocked with dirt at the ends leading to a similar problem as the gutter overflows if the car is parked with the blocked drain downhill...

I haven't owned a car with a sunroof since then and can't say I miss the problems sunroofs can have...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Good work! I think that MG should pay you for the fault finding and the write up. :D

I hope that the pipe stays put for the future. How do you think that it became detached?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts