Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,865 Posts
Coughed up for annual plus as I live on Zap-Map. Knowing when recent chargers have appeared and where there's multiples is very useful.

This level of usefulness should already be on the in car satnav.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
30 minutes of having the new filters and I’ve already learnt about several new locations with multiple 100kW+ chargers.

Shame those filters are not free.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,116 Posts
I might go for Plus. No need for Premium if the only difference is Apple Carplay, this is an Android house!

·
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the pricing is a bit punchy. My hunch is they would get more people subscribing and make more money, if the subs were half of what they are.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the pricing is a bit punchy. My hunch is they would get more people subscribing and make more money, if the subs were half of what they are.
I often think expectations of software being free or cheap are too high, but on this one I tend to agree.

As a point of comparison, an OS maps subscription is about £24pa (from memory - could be wrong!).

There again, Strava (for example) costs a bit more, so it’s not totally out of a “normal” range.

EDIT: further point of comparison: Tomtom is £12.99pa. If (or perhaps rather “when”) they include EV charging points, providers of apps such as ZapMap will really feel the heat (to say nothing of inclusion in future versions of Google/Apple Maps). It’s tough being an indie app developer, trying to find the balance between setting a price that funds the business, yet allows something of a “land grab” in a developing sector. In the end, those with the deepest pockets tend to win out (it was quite a few years before Amazon turned a profit, before which they lost many millions).

·
Registered
433 Posts
EDIT: further point of comparison: Tomtom is £12.99pa. If (or perhaps rather “when”) they include EV charging points, providers of apps such as ZapMap will really feel the heat (to say nothing of inclusion in future versions of Google/Apple Maps).
Google Maps already has EV charging points in it.
The data isn't really that great, but they are there.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021
35 Posts
Is it possible to pay monthly just for a month at a time? We will get by most of the year with hubby charging at work where we have installed free slow chargers for staff and tenants. But a couple of times a year if we do long trips it would be nice to have all the bells and whistles they are offering.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is it possible to pay monthly just for a month at a time? We will get by most of the year with hubby charging at work where we have installed free slow chargers for staff and tenants. But a couple of times a year if we do long trips it would be nice to have all the bells and whistles they are offering.
Yup. Costs for basic/plus/premium…

COSTAnnual SubscriptionFree£29.99/yr
≡£2.49/mth
7 days free trial
£47.99/yr
≡£3.99/mth
7 days free trial
Monthly subscriptionFree£4.99/mth£7.99/mth

·
Registered
433 Posts
Oh ok. Guessing not yet baked into route planning though, in the ways that ZapMap/ABRP etc would do? (yet…)
Not as far as I know. It will filter by connector and that's about it! No live updates, no comments (unless you count reviews), and until very recently it was showing a Chargemaster point near me that hasn't been on Zap-Map for over a year (I think it must have been taken out). All the minor networks don't appear to be represented, and the ones that are it's difficult to tell what sort of establishment they are at.

All in all, pretty useless, but I guess it'll get better. I doubt it will automatically route via chargepoints though - after all, it doesn't route via fuel stations, which is something I guess some people might need?

·
Registered
53 Posts
All in all, pretty useless, but I guess it'll get better. I doubt it will automatically route via chargepoints though - after all, it doesn't route via fuel stations, which is something I guess some people might need?
Except that fossil fuel stations are pretty much ubiquitous, and reliable. The EV charge points market has not yet reached the stage of maturity to allow driving long distances without giving thought to where the next charge is coming from.

·
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Except that fossil fuel stations are pretty much ubiquitous, and reliable.
For now! I wonder if in future there will be routing apps to get drivers of ICE cars between the few remaining fossil fuel stations, and apps to show the ratings of different stations - which ones often have contaminated/stale fuel through lack of use, which ones can’t be relied on because they often run out, which ones have long queues because there’s only one station serving a huge area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts