Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello There,

Have now been for approximately 2months without a car on my doorstep . My findings are very interesting! (or not)

Before loosing my Leaf in April was doing around 1k miles per month.
  • As i have pool sub, didn't go back since they opened in July (20 mls)
  • Like to shop in small farm shop/ zero waste shop (35 / 45 mls)
  • Wife commute (20 mls )
  • Bramston Water Park Trip (50 mls )
  • Ikea Nottingham (45 mls)
  • Tennis Court (20 mls)
  • Nursery (10 mls)

Have been using ECC Nottingham Leafs. Cost around £55 per day for me (with bus / train) but is around 2 hours trip to fetch.. And think they should be adding miles cost to evs as well.
Have scheduled a viewing for a Estate car this Sunday. 5k Down, then £4200 on 2 years 0% interest.

My other point on getting this car was, doing a trip to Portugal sometime early Next year using the Channel ferry!
And also my Wife is saying is more car for the money (space) of an ev.

Do appreciate all advice/ Tips!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,839 Posts
There are no EVs currently sub-£10k that will compete with an ICE estate for space, nor for long distances such as Portugal. However, you could afford a tidy LEAF24 or Zoe 22 that would seem appropriate for all of your journeys listed above and the savings on fuel would pay to hire something decent for the trip to Portugal. It strikes me that you are asking for an economic justification for something that should be justified for different reasons.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,263 Posts
How often do you use the ECC Cars? If you are a fairly regular user then something like a Renault Zoe ZE40 From ONTO could be a decent option. It's £339 a month (Including insurance, public charging, maintenance etc.) and comes with 1000 Miles per month allowance. You then get to keep an EV parked outside your home again ready to use whenever you need, and depending on how often you are having to hire from Enterprise this may work out cheaper.

Alternatively if you are fine with the shorter range then dk6780's suggestion above is good. If the one and only time you are worrying about range or size is a trip to Portugal you definitely shouldn't be writing off the idea of EVs when every other journey would be possible and save a lot on the likes of fuel.

If it was me I personally wouldn't even be thinking of going back to ICE.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no EVs currently sub-£10k that will compete with an ICE estate for space, nor for long distances such as Portugal. However, you could afford a tidy LEAF24 or Zoe 22 that would seem appropriate for all of your journeys listed above and the savings on fuel would pay to hire something decent for the trip to Portugal. It strikes me that you are asking for an economic justification for something that should be justified for different reasons.
Not just economical really, as i also considered an EV Bike with a trailer... Its really the best Economy / Convenience / Co2 Footprint ratio im looking for.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,393 Posts
The 80 mile range cars won't be much good as they will restrict what you can do in a day without having to mess about charging.

That's £9200 for 2 years use of a car. That's quite expensive. Plus fuel.

MG5 is an estate. The MGZS has a decent boot as well. They're both worth looking at.

Also drive electric and a Pug E2008. They seem to have some. Worth playing with the deposit and term to see how long you could get with one for the same buying costs as the estate.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 80 mile range cars won't be much good as they will restrict what you can do in a day without having to mess about charging.

That's £9200 for 2 years use of a car. That's quite expensive. Plus fuel.

MG5 is an estate. The MGZS has a decent boot as well. They're both worth looking at.

Also drive electric and a Pug E2008. They seem to have some. Worth playing with the deposit and term to see how long you could get with one for the same buying costs as the estate.

Charging is not really too much trouble for me (did as i said around 13k) in the year i had the Leaf 24.
But whatever i get now, will have to go under 200 with insurance. Got some 550-600 quotes so should be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts