Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the driver and passenger is the central bar which has bottle holders, gear change, handbrake etc etc. Below that is a space in which is another USB point and a 12v socket. This space is not easy to access. Has anyone come up with novel / useful ideas for making good use of the space?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
A little 4G wifi hotspot with a free 3 SIM card in it, connected to the USB port. That way the built-in satnav can automatically get traffic information and update the list of charging stations :) Have a search on here for some terms like hotspot, free 3 SIM, and you'll see various posts explaining how to set it up. I've had mine running for nearly a year faultlessly with no need to top it up ever.

·
Registered
317 Posts
A little 4G wifi hotspot with a free 3 SIM card in it, connected to the USB port. That way the built-in satnav can automatically get traffic information and update the list of charging stations :) Have a search on here for some terms like hotspot, free 3 SIM, and you'll see various posts explaining how to set it up. I've had mine running for nearly a year faultlessly with no need to top it up ever.
I've got the free 3 sim card. (I think they've stopped doing it now) Occasionally I run out of data as the family use it as a hot spot for their phones and tablets when we're out and about. I've noticed though that the Kona has its own data modem, as it downloads traffic information without my hot spot being plugged in.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I've got the free 3 sim card. (I think they've stopped doing it now) Occasionally I run out of data as the family use it as a hot spot for their phones and tablets when we're out and about. I've noticed though that the Kona has its own data modem, as it downloads traffic information without my hot spot being plugged in.
If its the new one with the Widescreen and app then yes it can download its own traffic data and does not need a modem

If its the older version what you are seeing is the TMC traffic downloaded over the FM Radio network, its very very poor compared to the live traffic over the Mobile phone network,

·
Registered
317 Posts
If its the new one with the Widescreen and app then yes it can download its own traffic data and does not need a modem

If its the older version what you are seeing is the TMC traffic downloaded over the FM Radio network, its very very poor compared to the live traffic over the Mobile phone network,
Yep. That's the one. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think your traffic downloads are arriving via the FM radio and not via a data modem. This apparently is a bit clunky and unreliable. I likewise have a 4g mobile hotspot installed.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I thought the new bluelink cars would get live data through that system. Do they still need to use an external Wi-Fi system?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Between the driver and passenger is the central bar which has bottle holders, gear change, handbrake etc etc. Below that is a space in which is another USB point and a 12v socket. This space is not easy to access. Has anyone come up with novel / useful ideas for making good use of the space?
Mine now contains a bulk pack of disposable latex gloves for supermarket shopping (sigh)...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I thought the new bluelink cars would get live data through that system. Do they still need to use an external Wi-Fi system?
The phone needs a wifi or data roaming connection, but the car has it's own connection to the Bluelink server. I'm presuming it uses that connection to get data.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine now contains a bulk pack of disposable latex gloves for supermarket shopping (sigh)...
I was thinking of a pack of tissues might be a good use. But given current virus issues latex gloves might be a good choice as well. Thx.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use it for OS maps so that I can find a suitable location for a "social distancing" walk (not yet eligible for a self-isolation walk) with the dog.

We took the car and dog for a walk on Dartmoor yesterday and I realised that an EV can be seen as just an extension of the house because you don't have to stop and buy fuel at a garage. An unexpected benefit of EV ownership. The Kona, of course, offers much more scope for walking in places that other EVs cannot reach.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts