Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you noticed how the EV world has made it almost impossible for anyone without an electronics background to get in to EVs

example we talk about 16 amp and 32 amp type 2 cables but the charging stations are labeled 3 and 7kw.

We mix our fast and rapid chargers and our DC Chademo and CCS like we expect normal people to understand what we are talking about

maybe we are our own worst enemies when it comes to adoptions of this new technology.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Indeed. The terms that are used mean nothing to the non-techie user and they ought to consider making this a lot simpler for the layman to understand and get to grips with.

Type 1, Type 2, J1772 etc are all meaningless to most potential customers and continuing to use terms like these will alienate potential buyers.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
It's VERY confusing. But then, I guess it would be...

Tyres, PSI or Bar, why, what's the difference? Rolling resistance, what do those numbers on the side mean, and the letters?!

Fuel, RON, who is RON, what's he for, why do I need more or less of his measure in my fuel tank? 0-60, you mean 0-62, and by that I mean of course 0-100, depending on which language you speak.

Motor oil, don't even go there...

Miles per gallon, what kind of gallon? US?! What?!

Cars and car technology is confusing.

Electronics and electronics technology is confusing.

Put them together and you get VERY confusing!!!

I'm going to continue adding to this: http://speakev.com/threads/how-to-speak-ev.79/ and plan to do a charging "infographic" of sorts to try and humanise the data myself, but in general it's going to stay puzzling for a while I fear, especially as we have competing tech and manufacturers "branding" things in their own special ways.

Even attempts to simplify things don't work, a slow charge, trickle charge, fast charge, rapid charge... they don't REALLY mean anything either.

Fortunately I think we're human here and over time a language and understanding will evolve, and it will most likely be lead by us in the EV community and how WE chose to address different things. The language will get there, and people will understand...

Any thoughts on how we can make it easier?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You're right. With an ICE it is petrol or diesel and that is pretty much about it. OK, you might have the "complication" of regular vs premium or ULS diesel but that really is about it!

Having said that, I am not sure what else the V manufacturers could have done. The EV can be charged from any electricity and that is the problem... there is no standard electricity and it is delivered in many different ways and speeds that are not all compatible with each other.

I am not sure what the answer is... it needs to be simpler... that I agree with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts