Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this thread and it seems very easy to do (just moving a fuse position).

Cigarette lighter 12v Always on.

In a regular ICE golf, this runs off the battery...but i was wondering if this was the case with the egolf? Could i for example run a coolbox all night off the socket in my boot and just sacrifice whatever range (would need to test!) from the main drive battery?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Unless the power is on, I believe it will drain the 12v battery (just like the Ice) which if its totally empty, you can't turn the car on anymore.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Yes and No! :rolleyes: The 12v battery is maintained by a DC : DC charger from the High Voltage battery. In some cars this is maintained regardless of whether the car is on or not, either on an on-demand basis or a timed basis. Problem is I don't know for sure about the e-Golf, but I suspect it isn't. :unsure: Hopefully someone who knows for sure will come along and let you know!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I doubt the 12 V battery gets charged when the car is off. I have left my car locked and untouched for two weeks and saw no change in HV battery SoC, indicating the car was fully dormant.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree, I believe the 12v is only charged when the key is turned and the "ignition" started (or button pressed if you are key free).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a shame. Was hoping i could lock the car and leave the coolbox running!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts