Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is to have the charger (untethered) inside the garage with the potential to park new I3 (end of May) outside it on adjacent parking space too.

Needs a cable hole through the soffit. I would rather have a finger sized hole for just the cable rather than a tin of beans shaped hole to allow the charger head through. Neatness, less obtrusive, more theft resistance etc.

Has anyone knowledge of connecting the charger head unit to the cable (either end)(maybe after damage)? They must be made up by someone in a factory somewhere so it’s doable, but I bet it needs sophisticated kit to do it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Due to the high currents involved the connectors are crimped on with a fancy machine. This in not a normal DIY crimp tool.

Perhaps a longer cable but under / to the side of the base of the door.?

·
Registered
628 Posts
As Spiny says, crimping is best left to others.

If you really really want to do this, I would consider taking one of the connectors apart, removing the crimps from the connector housing and making a hole big enough to pass the cable with the crimp connectors still attached.

I have not tried this myself, so I do not know how tricky it would be. Let us know.... ;)

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Check out EVBITS for some advice on purchasing a hand operated hydraulic crimping tool for the terminals. About £30 is what a tool will cost. Ensure you have enough spare cable and some connectors to experiment with the crimping tooling.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Or get a tethered unit, since what your going to end up with is pretty well tethered, and just remove the connections inside to feed it thru the wall...

Or if you really want untethered, just buy a long enough cable, cut it in half, and joint in with appropriate high current junction blocks.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Rather than cutting an expensive cable in half, or taking it apart, wouldn't it make more sense to carefully cut out a socket size hole in the soffit, keeping the piece you removed, then cut a cable size hole in the centre of that piece, slice it in half and replace it round the cable using some sort of glue or mastic. Sounds a lot simpler than compromising the cable. (Bear in mind I'm no DIY expert! I would probable get a carpenter to do the work properly :))

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Why do you want untethered? You are unlikely to buy a car with anything other than Type 2 in future. As others have said, it is a lot easier to remove cable from unit than plug.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Are you putting the charge point inside the garage because you actually use the garage to park your car, and you want to charge it in there, or because you think that the charge point isn't waterproof and might get wet?

Hint: The charge point is waterproof, and doesn't mind the weather. They're pretty much all designed to be installed outside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have explained more clearly in my original post.

The garage car (and only entrance) faces away from my house. I have no parking space in front of the entrance but I do have one between the garage and the house, backside of the garage.

While most of the time car will be inside the garage there may be times when either laziness or haste or guest parking may make me want to park an ev not inside but behind the garage.

Hence the desire to have one untethered 5m cable inside and the option to have another, untethered, 10m cable coming out of the back wall.

Most of the time the 10m cable would be underemployed but the option would be handy. Come to think of it, in writing this, I am beginning to persuade myself that I am doubling the install costs and tripling the cable costs to no real benefit ( a bit like the old joke of having two animal flaps - large for the dog and small for the cat).

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Sounds like it, because how often would you want to both move the EV outside the garage and charge it?

Unless you are driving enough you would charge every time you get home, it sounds cheaper and easier to accept that once in a while you may have to shuffle cars to charge yours and thats saved you several hundred pounds.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Unless you are driving enough you would charge every time you get home, it sounds cheaper and easier to accept that once in a while you may have to shuffle cars to charge yours and thats saved you several hundred pounds.
Or put a 13A socket up somewhere near the alternative parking spot and charge more slowly....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts