Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a used Nissan Leaf (2013 model). It came with a 13 amp charger for home use, which is easy, but no other cable.

Thinking I might need to charge at a public chargepoint, I bought a Type 2 to Type 1 cable for £125. The Type 1 end fits the car, but I just tried to charge at a Pod Point, which is Type 2 according to Zapmap, and found that I had two female ends! The Type 2 end of my cable is a female connection and so is the outlet on the Pod Point.

I drove to another Pod Point and found the same thing. Is my cable useless, or are there other networks where the Type 2 connection is male on the charger side?

By the way, what do Pod Point mean by "open charge"? Is it free?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I have just bought a used Nissan Leaf (2013 model). It came with a 13 amp charger for home use, which is easy, but no other cable.

Thinking I might need to charge at a public chargepoint, I bought a Type 2 to Type 1 cable for £125. The Type 1 end fits the car, but I just tried to charge at a Pod Point, which is Type 2 according to Zapmap, and found that I had two female ends! The Type 2 end of my cable is a female connection and so is the outlet on the Pod Point.

I drove to another Pod Point and found the same thing. Is my cable useless, or are there other networks where the Type 2 connection is male on the charger side?

By the way, what do Pod Point mean by "open charge"? Is it free?
I haven't tried Pod Point but i purchased Type 2 to type 1 cable and used that with Polar charger without issue.

Have a look at Pod Point app. It will tell you about associated charges if any

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
It sounds like the cable you have is intended to be used as an extender plugged into a Type 2 tethered cable, when what you need is a type 2 to type 1 public charging cable. If you can’t change it, I think you may be able to get an adapter which would give you both options.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
What you’ve bought there is an extension cable. You would need a chargepoint with a tether (type 2) which are very rare except at peoples houses possibly.
99% of charge posts in this country have a type 2 socket so you’ll need a type 2 to type 1 “Public charging cable”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Rick and all who replied. The cable was sold by PowerPac as a charging cable for Nissan Leaf, so I guess they have sent the wrong thing.

What you’ve bought there is an extension cable. You would need a chargepoint with a tether (type 2) which are very rare except at peoples houses possibly.
99% of charge posts in this country have a type 2 socket so you’ll need a type 2 to type 1 “Public charging cable”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,176 Posts
I'm puzzled by what you actually received. Could you show some photos of the Type 2 end?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All I can say is that this connector does not go into a Podpoint Type 2 charger. At two separate locations.
I'll wait and see what the supplier says.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,176 Posts
It is a mystery because that looks OK to me.

Are these pod points not correctly initialised and are putting up a block that prevents you pushing the lead in? What does the socket on them look like and what happens when you actually put the lead into it?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,619 Posts
That looks like a Type 2 male that will fit in the socket found on the PodPoint public charger.

A lot of ChargePods are free to use, most will give you 15mins just by pugging in, others may need the PodPoint App to claim a charge so it charges longer.

Check out something like ZapMap or PlugShare to find where the chargers are.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Are these pod points not correctly initialised and are putting up a block that prevents you pushing the lead in? What does the socket on them look like and what happens when you actually put the lead into it?
No. PodPoint operation starts with inserting the charge cable into the post and the car. Then confirm your session on the app without which charging will stop after 15 mins.
Unless someone has vandalised them there should be nothing impeding plug insertion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

The Podpoint socket looks exactly like the socket on my cable. The pins are recessed, so there is no way of pushing them in to anything. It's a physical problem, not anything to do with the electronics.

These Podpoints were both in Exeter.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts