Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of ev charging at the airport? A google search showed a plan from 2011 to have a pod centre here and other places in Manchester....did this ever happen?

A type 2 32a charge should be enough for me to bring some family home.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Asked the airport just last Friday about this as I was there yesterday.

image.jpg

GMEV made a presentation to the airport, for either rapid chargers or 32A chargers as part of phase 2 due to be online by the end if March. They must have refused as nothing is planned as far as I know.

There is a rapid charger at Westway Stockport about ten minutes (10 miles) away from the airport, but despite being 'Nissan Owned' it's only accessible during dealership hours.

Does Marriott charge a fee for using their charger or even let people use it if not staying? I know Hilton used to charge me a fortune just for parking at MAN.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kevin. That the Marriot Hotel? 2 miles on foot, was hoping to leave it plugged in while waiting then jump in with family and bags. If it is not at the destination then the rapid charger at Keele will be quicker.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Does Marriott charge a fee for using their charger or even let people use it if not staying? I know Hilton used to charge me a fortune just for parking at MAN.
The internet is very useful ;)

"Relax, unwind and start your holiday early. Stay the night before you fly on our Park Here, Fly There packages from £105 per room. Rate is for 2 adults and 2 children on a room only basis with 8 or 15 days parking and transfers to and from the airport"

If you are not planning on staying then I would just call them and ask :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ok so £105 for a 1 hour charge while picking someone up. Bargain!

The question was what is the policy for parking for an hour or two? While attending a conference, having lunch, or picking someone up. Hilton used to be £15 for the first hour, and then £1.50 per hour afterwards, unless you were staying as a guest, and then parking was discounted.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thought you may know Kevin as you have the details on the stay and fly package. The OP gave the impression they were picking someone up, not staying the night, so £105 for a charge is expensive. Of course if you live a significant distance from MAN, parking with charging, and overnight accommodation is very useful.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That rate is if he was staying at the hotel... I think Kevin is suggesting just give them a call and ask if you can charge while waiting.

In my experience you are more likely to get a yes than a no especially if you buy a drink, breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea in the bar/restaurant while you wait.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Anyone know of ev charging at the airport? A google search showed a plan from 2011 to have a pod centre here and other places in Manchester....did this ever happen?

A type 2 32a charge should be enough for me to bring some family home.
Steve (or anyone else interested)

I have polar external charge point and live 5 easy miles from Manchester Airport, free use of kettle and lavatory, although not at same time! It is a nightmare to pick up from any of the terminals and best to be parked up a few miles away and wait for call when pax are collecting bags.

Mike

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Mike

That is a really generous offer.

Will not need it this time (long story) but will keep in mind for sure.

Likewise if you are ever needing a charge in the Telford, Shropshire area have a 32 a garaged place to charge with coffee and loo facilities :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts