Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why BMW asks for £40+ for the map update on the I3 when I get a free update on my Garmin Nuovo or indeed any other sat nav devices?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Car makers decided that the best way to make money isn't when they sell the cars but with services and updates.
Get Waze on your phone and don't bother with updates on the car satnav.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Can anyone tell me why BMW asks for £40+ for the map update on the I3 when I get a free update on my Garmin Nuovo or indeed any other sat nav devices?
£40 : an absolute bargain ! Nissan want over £100 to change a map chip that's 5 years out of date (on a 2 year old car !) for one that would only be 2 years out of date. I understand their new policy is to fit a TomTom 'engine' to their later models so that updates ought to be free.

And Garmin were almost as bad; when I enquired a couple of years ago they wanted £80 for an online update whereas I could (& did) buy a new similar model for £70 with free lifetime updates.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It used to be over £300 and via a dealer only. If you look at other BMW forums and navigation update sales sites, you will see why market pressure has forced BMW to reduce the cost of its map update service.

·
Registered
400 Posts
£40 : an absolute bargain ! Nissan want over £100 to change a map chip that's 5 years out of date (on a 2 year old car !) for one that would only be 2 years out of date. I understand their new policy is to fit a TomTom 'engine' to their later models so that updates ought to be free.

And Garmin were almost as bad; when I enquired a couple of years ago they wanted £80 for an online update whereas I could (& did) buy a new similar model for £70 with free lifetime updates.
Unless things have changed recently Tomtom updates are not free and they have the worst customer service going.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Unless things have changed recently Tomtom updates are not free and they have the worst customer service going.
Not sure about TomTom but my Garmin which I use in the motorhome has lifetime free maps and traffic although this may be model specific.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The nav is a pain in the arse anyway. Lots of petrol stations shown and only some charge points.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The nav is a pain in the arse anyway. Lots of petrol stations shown and only some charge points.

Edit - bad network connection = douple post!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My old Garmin would have cost £80 to update. My new Garmin cost £70 and came with free lifetime updates.

I have seen some TomToms advertised as having free lifetime support as well.

I'm really not sure if the revised Nissan Leaf satnav comes with free updates or not. I understood it did but can't actually find a reference to that. I should find out tomorrow when I have a test drive booked.

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
287 Posts
...because they can...? ;)

Other car manufacturers charge also after the first year(s) of free use. Yes, I also have two Garmin devices and they are life time free of charge, so I have the option to pay for the update in my car or use the Garmin when it's time. My car is a new 330e, 2020 so it will take another three years before I have to make up my mind about it but I think I will pay for the update in the car to avoid the cluttering installation.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My old Garmin would have cost £80 to update. My new Garmin cost £70 and came with free lifetime updates.

I have seen some TomToms advertised as having free lifetime support as well.

I'm really not sure if the revised Nissan Leaf satnav comes with free updates or not. I understood it did but can't actually find a reference to that. I should find out tomorrow when I have a test drive booked.
What do you mean by "revised Leaf"? The one my wife has is a 2019 Tekna and it has TomTom and is NOT free after the warranty period, just like my BMW or my previous brand.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
What do you mean by "revised Leaf"? The one my wife has is a 2019 Tekna and it has TomTom and is NOT free after the warranty period, just like my BMW or my previous brand.
The 2018 Leaf had a satnav (of sorts !) which was NOT a TomTom.

"Revised Leaf" (from mid 2019 ?) has a bigger screen with a TomTom 'engine' Pleased to hear your confirmation that there is at least a period when updates are free. Not sure which particular warranty period you had in mind but even if it's only 3 years that does at least mean that mine will be bang up to date in 2023. My 2018 model came with its satnav already more than three years out of date.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another query - the map. update would have a list of EV charging points which were added at the date of production of the mapping software. So the day after release it's out of date? Correct? Or, will it - throughout its lifetime - update itself via the internet connection when open #justwondering

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Another query - the map. update would have a list of EV charging points which were added at the date of production of the mapping software. So the day after release it's out of date? Correct? Or, will it - throughout its lifetime - update itself via the internet connection when open #justwondering
Have a read of this thread:

·
Registered
287 Posts
The 2018 Leaf had a satnav (of sorts !) which was NOT a TomTom.
My wife's Leaf is a 2018 made, we got it on the 27th December, the dealer called it as a 2019 model, but it was released, made and registered in 2018, so it's a 2018 for me. Anyway, it has TomTom.

"Revised Leaf" (from mid 2019 ?) has a bigger screen with a TomTom 'engine' Pleased to hear your confirmation that there is at least a period when updates are free. Not sure which particular warranty period you had in mind but even if it's only 3 years that does at least mean that mine will be bang up to date in 2023. My 2018 model came with its satnav already more than three years out of date.
Perhaps it's different for different markets, I don't know, but ours definitely has free update and is a TomTom. I also think that the display has the same size as those which are made and sold today. Anyway, I honestly expect an update to be update to the CURRENT version, so for us, the last free update will be 2021 end of December, whatever update is available at that time. I don't understand how you could get a 2018 model brand new with a three year old database, except that it is a default installation which should be updated by you, or by the seller.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes, the available charging stations can be incorrect because that data is supplied by those who install the charging stations, so if they have not delivered the information to the navigation database supplier then the data will be incorrect or not updated in time.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I don't understand how you could get a 2018 model brand new with a three year old database
You don't understand it, I don't understand it nor indeed does anyone on the Leaf section of SpeakEV but Leaf models sold in the UK always came with some sort of proprietary navigation device that can only be updated by buying a new SD card and I've not heard of anyone who bought a Leaf with an up-to-date system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts