Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get Map Updates for your LEAF?

Being with Toyota for many years, they release map updates twice a year (usually very out of date compared to Tom Tom etc) and once you are out of the first 3 years free updates, they cost you a tidy sum (think it was £147 last time). You download it to a USB memory stick and install it that way.

From reading some posts, am I right in thinking that when you take your car in for a service that the dealer automatically updates the map and software? Does this cost or is it free?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Looks like once the 3 years is up it is about on par with Toyota prices. Apart from having to be done by the main dealer. I guess it prevents the risk of messing the system up which some owners did by removing the USB before the upgrade was complete.

·
Registered
458 Posts
No you don’t. The Leaf has no updates! My 3 week old car does not have my road on it and my road was built 5 years ago.

So I contacted Nissan complaining about his and asking for updated maps

Their response said

Thank you for contacting Nissan Customer Services with regards to the Mapcare program.

The Nissan Leaf in not eligible for the free map updates, this offer is only available to the petrol and diesel models. If you would like to update the maps in your vehicle you can visit the link below to purchase the updates:

Nissan | HERE

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Nissan Leaf in not eligible for the free map updates, this offer is only available to the petrol and diesel models. If you would like to update the maps in your vehicle you can visit the link below to purchase the updates:

Nissan | HERE
And the new LEAF isn't listed on that link. That's a bit of a rum deal... :mad:

Having an up to date map is probably more important for a EV owner.

Checking their Mapcare website it says "Offer available on the whole Nissan range embedded with NissanConnect (with the exception of 370Z and LCV range except eNV200 and Navara)"

Nissan Mapcare - Nissan navigation system | Nissan

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think so too.

I put it to them that they think it’s OK to offer updates to customers who buy a low cost basic Micra but they specifically exclude customers who buy their flagship state of the art EV that costs double the cost of a Micra.

Earlier this week my dealer told me that within 6 months all Nissan cars, Leaf included, will come with new dash units that are installed with TomTom maps. Existing car owners , due to “old” dash units will not be given any upgrades at that time.

So for current Leaf owners Nissans attitude is Tough Sxxt.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think so too.

I put it to them that they think it’s OK to offer updates to customers who buy a low cost basic Micra but they specifically exclude customers who buy their flagship state of the art EV that costs double the cost of a Micra.

Earlier this week my dealer told me that within 6 months all Nissan cars, Leaf included, will come with new dash units that are installed with TomTom maps. Existing car owners , due to “old” dash units will not be given any upgrades at that time.

So for current Leaf owners Nissans attitude is Tough Sxxt.
I found a Nissan press release on Google dated 16 July 2018 which speaks of a new NissanConnect Infotainment unit for the Micra. This offers Tomtom maps with 4 free annual over the air map updates for the first 3 years. I assume this is what your dealer is referring to. It would be nice if this unit is fitted to the LEAF I have ordered for delivery in February 2019. But knowing my luck, I'll miss out. :(

New NissanConnect enhances customer infotainment experience in Micra

The new NissanConnect head unit features a large seven-inch touch-screen – the same size as before – though now with fewer hard keys and new multi-touch capability.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have had an update for Nissan Customer Services.

It'll make you weep:

''The team at Here.com who provide our map data and informed me that your post code was added to their database in October 2017. The current product that we have available for the Nissan Leaf was realised in June 2017 with map data up until the 2nd quarter of 2016''

What this means is that if you buy a state of the art £30 grand new Leaf today, during quarter 4 of 2018, the sat nav maps are over 2 1/2 years old!! And you will NOT get any updates.

So until the Leaf gets the new TomTom units installed in the dash, the mapping will be 3 yrs out of date.

What a Joke!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So Nissan are selling their brand new flagship vehicle with a sat-nav that is already 2 ½ years out of date and have no intention of ever offering any update to customers?

Surely that can't be right. Are you sure they are talking about the Leaf 2 and not confusing it with the original Leaf?

Have they got their wires crossed?

There will be a lot of very angry Leaf 2 owners when they find out. Owners who may wish not to buy a Nissan again in future. Especially if they use their Leaf for work and rely on an accurate up-to-date sat-nav.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nope. Its absolutely for the Leaf 40

I got mine 4 weeks ago now. My road, built in Qtr 1 of 2014 is not on my sat nav.

Nissan confirmed that the map data on the Leaf 2 are only as at Qtr 2 in 2016.

A Mickey Mouse outfit eh?

They have agreed to issue me a letter, which if I take to my dealer, will allow a free SD once the map data is updated - whenever that might be

However, with the impending change to TomTom mapping for new cars, I'm not so sure that a 'new' updated SD will ever be released and that I and all Leaf 2 owners will only ever have maps that are up to date as at April/May 2016.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have had an update for Nissan Customer Services.

It'll make you weep:

''The team at Here.com who provide our map data and informed me that your post code was added to their database in October 2017. The current product that we have available for the Nissan Leaf was realised in June 2017 with map data up until the 2nd quarter of 2016''

What this means is that if you buy a state of the art £30 grand new Leaf today, during quarter 4 of 2018, the sat nav maps are over 2 1/2 years old!! And you will NOT get any updates.

So until the Leaf gets the new TomTom units installed in the dash, the mapping will be 3 yrs out of date.

What a Joke!
With reference to the thread "software up date"

My leaf is early March 2018 and the diagnostics menu states that this is current Map Version : 17/01/26/01

@DrDave posted his diagnostics menu on taking delivery of his new vehicle on 4th October 2018 and the diagnostics menu states that this is current Map Version : 17/09/01/01

So it has been updated with a newer version relating to the 2nd half of 2017, I assume.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I didnt realise a poxy Leaf was Nissans flagship vehicle,wow.;)

Cue #mapgate:rolleyes:

Nissans nav is bollox anyway,surely its better to use Google maps anyway,especially via carplay etc.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just got this reply from Nissan confirming that Qtr 2 are the latest maps for the Leaf.

I did quite my map version and that of the Oct 4th car

A quote from their email says
“I have spoken directly to the map provider with whom we get all our data from, they have informed me that the most recent data for our Nissan Leaf is the one that you currently have.

We have also checked our system to look to order a new one and the only one we are able to order is the current one you have. The version numbers often refer to batch codes, and can be different depending on the model but I can assure you that the most up to date data we have is the data pulled from the 2nd quarter of 2016.”

So there we have it . Today’s Leaf has map data that’s 30 months out of date and we don’t know if or when they will ever be updated. And if they are the update will not be free

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
No you don’t. The Leaf has no updates! My 3 week old car does not have my road on it and my road was built 5 years ago.

So I contacted Nissan complaining about his and asking for updated maps

Their response said

Thank you for contacting Nissan Customer Services with regards to the Mapcare program.

Nissan | HERE
I got a very different reply saying it was due to the age of my vehicle, 2015, and that it only applied from 2016 onwards

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts