Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,092 Posts
Can anyone please explain how they accomplished this with a Mac. I have downloaded the file. I have a USB stick formatted in MS-DOS (FAT32) Now what? Just copy the downloaded file to the stick, or something else?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I tried it with my Mac but it seemed to hide / miss the .xml file. I ended up formatting my USB drive ex fat, copying the zip file to that. Then I plugged it in on my work Windows laptop, copied the zip to that, formatting the USB FAT32* and then unzipping in Win 10 onto the USB (and removing three layers of folder the zip created above the actual files). Basically downloading it to Windows and avoiding my Mac would have saved me some time :)

* Actually the Mac was of use, you can’t format USBs above 32GB FAT32 in Windows 10, it only offers NTFS and Ex FAT, so I had to format my 64GB USB on my Mac which doesn’t have that limitation.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
394 Posts
Does anybody know what the new icon is below the Speed Limit display on the HUD.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yes formatting as FAT32 in Windows requires third party software these days because it's an ancient format. Rufus works well for example.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Does anybody know what the new icon is below the Speed Limit display on the HUD.
It’s distance to a speed camera. It stays as 0yards and then when you come into range of one it starts counting down the distance

·
Super Moderator
7,456 Posts
I tried it with my Mac but it seemed to hide / miss the .xml file. I ended up formatting my USB drive ex fat, copying the zip file to that. Then I plugged it in on my work Windows laptop, copied the zip to that, formatting the USB FAT32* and then unzipping in Win 10 onto the USB (and removing three layers of folder the zip created above the actual files). Basically downloading it to Windows and avoiding my Mac would have saved me some time :)

* Actually the Mac was of use, you can’t format USBs above 32GB FAT32 in Windows 10, it only offers NTFS and Ex FAT, so I had to format my 64GB USB on my Mac which doesn’t have that limitation.
When in a Finder window press cmd+shift+. and hidden files (including the .xml file needed here!) will appear. Caught me out too and I ended up using a windows machine last time but did on my Mac this time.

Reactions: shikoku14

·
Super Moderator
7,456 Posts
Please would someone be able to simply take a screen shot or something of the necessary contents of the USB stick.

the top three things are needed, don't think the Solaris_RUS.ver file is needed but didn't cause an issue being there. the .lge.upgrade.xml file will be hidden by default on MacOS, press cmd+shit+. to unhide it.

·
3,092 Posts
Ok - some additional pointers for people who may wish to do this (particularly if using a Mac)
  1. The extent to which the files need 'unzipping' can depend on where you get them from, and whether the person who uploaded them has already repackaged them to make it simpler.
  2. On a Mac, format the USB stick to MS-DOS (FAT32). A 128GB stick worked for me.
  3. With a Mac, I understand that compressed files are, by default, unpackaged automatically when downloaded.
  4. To see all the files on a Mac (including hidden ones) press press cmd + shift + . (full stop)
  5. The files that you then copy onto the USB stick need to be outside of the 'EUR.S5W_L.001.001.210303' folders - all that should be visible on the USB stick (including the any hidden files) is:
  6. 143439
  7. The car should be turned on in ready to drive mode.
  8. When the USB stick is inserted into the car it should pop up about a software update. You can choose the quick option - otherwise I understand (but don't know for certain) it can take an hour+, with the trade off being the radio etc can be used whilst updating.
  9. It will the check the files first - this can take 10 minutes or so with nothing much happening. Just wait.
  10. Then the update starts with a % progress indicator. This step takes another 10 minutes or so. Again, wait and do nothing until complete.
  11. It will then do a second validation step (at least mine did)
  12. It will then do a second update step - starting from 0% (at least mine did). Again, wait and do nothing until complete.
  13. When it completes, accept the terms (you have to click tap on each one) then agree.
  14. Enjoy the minor improvements ;)

·
3,092 Posts
On the Kona, the icons are different from last October’s update.

Splitscreen CarPlay is the main improvement, as it means you can stay in CarPlay navigation etc whilst still being able to see the SoC% without needing to interact with anything.

·
Super Moderator
7,456 Posts
Yes and split screen CarPlay too so you see battery% info while using Apple Maps or Waze etc. Also, on the energy info screen the colours now match up (the bottom bars were the yellow/green colours while the numbers next to the motor etc were the new purple/purple/purple/purple colours) although generally this screen is bad to look at now! :

·
3,092 Posts
Splitscreen CarPlay is good because you can then have ABRP on car play and quickly flick the the right hand portion between SoC and the nav map.

Or, use the built in nav (especially good in the Kona for the hud directions), with the nav map on the right, but also have Waze / Google maps etc showing for traffic / other hazard warning.

Would be nice if you could swap which side is 2/3 and which is 1/3...but hey

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yes and split screen CarPlay too so you see battery% info while using Apple Maps or Waze etc. Also, on the energy info screen the colours now match up (the bottom bars were the yellow/green colours while the numbers next to the motor etc were the new purple/purple/purple/purple colours) although generally this screen is bad to look at now! :
View attachment 143465
The March 2020 version already had the colours matching, not sure why they've gone with 4 barely distinguishable colours now!

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
196 Posts
@Edd Beesley I've not seen that energy consumption screen, but then I easily get lost in the Infotainment bit and since I don't have a manual for guidance can you give me some tips!

·
Super Moderator
7,456 Posts
@Edd Beesley I've not seen that energy consumption screen, but then I easily get lost in the Infotainment bit and since I don't have a manual for guidance can you give me some tips!
Watch the video linked above and you’ll see how he gets there, about two thirds in.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts